Whats considered a good start; Today

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Dave T
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dave T »

....i have over 400 hrs with 100 multi still nothing...
That is a very tough level to be at to get a job these days. Enough time that you don't want to work the ramp but not enough for most companies. Some people get entry level jobs flying right away but from what I have observed it is still very rare.

Most places are looking for 1000 hrs and some have come down to the 500-800 range.

You have an edge on someone with 250 hrs but I wouldn't expect to be handed a job with that kind of time either.
---------- ADS -----------

Kelowna Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Kelowna Pilot »

You apply to a company with 250 hours... they say you're not qualified.

You work the ramp for them for 1, maybe 2 years... your skills have gotten rusty in the meantime... all of a sudden you are 'qualified'.

Ours is not reason why....

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Maybe if you'd get off your ass, out from behind the computer, out of your parent's basement and go out and put as much effort into doing your job as you have whining on this site, you'd prove to someone that you're worth putting into an airplane and you're not as big of a useless tit as you're coming across here wondering why your whopping 300 hours hasn't gotten you anywhere yet. Jeezuz tap-dancing christ, when I had 300 hours I was spending my time rolling drums of fuel and carrying propane tanks and building docks instead of surfing the net feeling sorry for myself and it worked out for me.

Kelowna Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Kelowna Pilot »

Most places are looking for 1000 hrs and some have come down to the 500-800 range.

You have an edge on someone with 250 hrs but I wouldn't expect to be handed a job with that kind of time either.
I would generally agree with that assessment. I'm not looking for a flying job unless the employeer is looking for someone on a very casual, relief basis (which very few of them are), but I put out some feelers to see what the industry is looking like right now, and I think you summed it fairly well.

If you have a 1000 hours of quality time, you've got some doors open. But it's still an up hill battle for the 250 hour guys unless you want to instruct or try your luck on the ramp somewhere.

elfransa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by elfransa »

You have to make a choice and go for it either instruct and see where it will take you or work the ramp and hope that even after a year or so of not flying will still get you in the right seat....

I've seen some crazy guys who went to eagle jet bought 500 hrs of turbine time spent over 25000$...wow that's crazy just to get a job

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

shimmydampner wrote:Maybe if you'd get off your ass, out from behind the computer, out of your parent's basement and go out and put as much effort into doing your job as you have whining on this site, you'd prove to someone that you're worth putting into an airplane and you're not as big of a useless tit as you're coming across here wondering why your whopping 300 hours hasn't gotten you anywhere yet. Jeezuz tap-dancing christ, when I had 300 hours I was spending my time rolling drums of fuel and carrying propane tanks and building docks instead of surfing the net feeling sorry for myself and it worked out for me.
here here.....

when i was job hunting with 220 hrs, the internet was not the place it is now....you couldn't just go to some website and find a list of all the operators in canada, you had to do the leg work and research.

don't compare yourself to your friends in the US. If you really think you're not getting everything you could get, then head north, do a road trip and get out of the GTA! What you'll probably find is that most guys would kill to have the job you have right now, and you should feel pretty lucky that this company is sticking their neck out to employ you. They don't usually hire low timers such as yourself, so appreciate the opportunity you have been given, and as I have said before, work hard, show them you really want to be there, and you will get your chance. If you keep whining and wondering what better is out there, they'll probably get the vibe, and you'll shoot yourself in the foot and get stuck in dipatch.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

good for you....like I said, that's the way to go! Just do what you think is best. But either way, don't be complacent.....push hard for the job you want!
But not on here...push hard with potential employers. But anyways, it seems like we all think that you are in a good position where you are....so my advice is stick with it.

Good luck!

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Kelowna Pilot wrote:You apply to a company with 250 hours... they say you're not qualified.

You work the ramp for them for 1, maybe 2 years... your skills have gotten rusty in the meantime... all of a sudden you are 'qualified'.

Ours is not reason why....
I have never heard that before....i have heard...."you're qualified, but we don't have a position open...however, if you'll work the ramp for a few months, you'll get the next spot that comes up."

they get cheap labour, you get in line for a flying position....i don't think anyone has ever tried to pass it off as not qualified. It's always been a market condition. I'm not justifying the practice, this is just how i see it. it's like AC having a hiring pool...just in this case, the hiring pool works on the ramp, instead of for that 703 turboprop operator.

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

Oh my Buddah, Seam's so long ago I did three road trips spent days sending resumes with snail mail and faxes.

Wally's right on about sitting at a computer and pounding out emails cutting and pasting CP names and Email adresses. Having lists of operators availible online, One could only wish. I remeber the Wings Magazine directory of Air operators was like gold people asking to photo copy it "Ill buy you lunch"

Schooner.Cdn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Schooner.Cdn »

Here is a question that I didn't see get many more comments. 375 TT, 250 PIC, say I got into the right seat of a B200 how difficult would it be for me to ever work my way in to the left seat?

niwre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by niwre »

Schooner.Cdn wrote:Here is a question that I didn't see get many more comments. 375 TT, 250 PIC, say I got into the right seat of a B200 how difficult would it be for me to ever work my way in to the left seat?
All depends on the type of hours you have now. Look at the ATPL reqs now before you screw yourself.

What you need to know is, how to get what you need to know.

This is not a retreat. Its an advance to the rear.

There are only 10 people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Return to “Employment Forum”