CPL Long Cross Country

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Servisair
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Servisair »

correct me if im wrong. the PTR is what you send in to TC with your application for the license and the signatures from the trip legs would be in you personal log book. I think the signatures are just there for you to show the examiner who signs your papers before they are sent in. Just a thot
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

as stated before i have never had a trip leg signed in the comments section, i have what the trip was, the only signatures is my signatures on each page and my schools stamp/ instructors signature on the final page of my training proving he totaled everything up, never been questioned

SQ

Post by SQ »

Hedley wrote:It doesn't matter what the school thinks - it's what the Authorized Person thinks that matters
AS Hedley is saying...
my 300 NM is said non valid because
a) I first stopped at CYRI before stopping at CYQB, going to CYBC...
b) I had the logbook stamped at CYRI and CYBC, but not in CYQB...

a')Even in the TC article it is not written in wich order and where you have to stop during your 300. CYBC is 310nm from CYHU, isn't that enough ?
b') would the stamp to CYbc (the 300NM destination) be enough towards TC examiner ?

z) I'll tell you what TC thinks about that.

habits are not rules... 8)

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

SQ, two ideas: did you by any chance buy fuel in CYQB? Or anything else for which you might still have the receipts? Credit card records could also work. And maybe, just maybe, if the flight didn't take place too long ago, you could look into retrieving a copy of your flight plan or simply a record of your movement from the Navcanada computer systems?

Good luck,

Louis

FlyYukon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FlyYukon »

I didn't get anything signed, and Transport didn't ask for any proof. I logged each leg in my book, and got my CPL issued no problem. I don't get this certification stuff..

Flying is the second greatest thrill in life... landing is the first.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I dont care, Im still free. You cant take the Sky from me
GottaFly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GottaFly »

This whole signatures thing, and taking photos of your trip is all a load of crap as far as i'm concerned. Your personal Log Book is your legal document and all the times in it are backed up by the Journey Log of the aircraft you flew. Furthermore, your PTR is your other official proof that you actually flew the trip. And that is signed by your Instructor. Besides, whats the big deal, even if transport does challenge you on it, the fact of the matter is, if you are honest and actually did the trip, you'll have no trouble. TC just needs to test the integrity in the industry once in a while, and if you're the one they pick for their test, as long as you are honest, there will be no trouble for you.

GF.
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

I'm not sure anybody cares about the facts, but almost everybody these days has their licence signed off by a private sector "Authorized Person" (often, but not always the FTU CFI). Transport won't even see your logbook - only the form that the Authorized Person fills out, detailing your experience.

So, it's the Authorized Person you have to convince, not Transport.

Why not just ask your school's Authorized Person? This really all seems like a tempest in a teapot ... I get the feeling that people will soon be carrying along camcorders and recording their entire cross countries :roll:

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

they took my logbook for almost 2 months when i got my commercial a couple of months ago

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Who is "they"?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Transport Canada

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

the matter is, if you are honest and actually did the trip, you'll have no trouble. TC just needs to test the integrity in the industry once in a while, and if you're the one they pick for their test, as long as you are honest, there will be no trouble for you
Is that how they find the dishonest ones in their employ?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
GottaFly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GottaFly »

Cat... would you mind telling me your past experience with TC...? Anytime i seem to defend our industries integrity, you come back with a remark such as that. No i don't work for TC, but it keeps some pretty sketchy characters from flying which i think is a very good thing. As far as integrity within their organization, there is about as much integrity there as with the RCMP or any other Federal government for that matter...... Integrity is not a good word do describe their organization, but it's good word to describe what our industry needs... They may not do the best job of it, or we all may disagree with their ways, but it keeps the people who shouldn't be involved away.

GF.
TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Integrity in an interesting thing.

I believe it is one that is built on a history and reputation of fair dealings. No one person represents an entity, should that be a company or governmental department.

In my limited travels, I am cautious of what others have told me (although I do keep it in mind), and make my own decisions based upon what I personally observe.

I do my job to the best of my ability... with integrity (at least, my definition). I sleep well.

To answer the question at hand... no pictures are needed, nor are signatures as to where you have been. Log the cross-country properly (in the PTR and Personal Log Book), and make sure the entries meet the requirements for the CPL (see links at the end of the post).

TC *MAY* request additonal information if something looks incomplete or incorrect. That is our mandate. Journey logbooks or Dispatch sheets would give the additional proof *IF* required.

Logbook requirements link:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regse ... htm#401_08

CPL cross-country requirements link: (scroll down to 421.31(4)(b)(i))
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regse ... htm#421_30

Hope this helps!

-Guy

Last edited by TC Guy on Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Hedley wrote:So, it's the Authorized Person you have to convince, not Transport.
Not entirely correct, Hedley.

The authorized person gives temporary privileges. A TC Licencing Officer or Inspector reviews the application and issues the perminent licence. They see both the logbook and the PTR (in most cases).

Interestingly enough, the 300nm X/C is always something that is reviewed, at least in our region. 99% meet requirements now, but that has not always been the case.

-Guy

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Cat... would you mind telling me your past experience with TC...?
Well GottaFly that would take a lot of writing, however very briefly I had a good working relationship with TC for about 48 years, until I had a problem with one of their M&M inspectors who was acting completely unethical and outside of any guidelines in any organazation.

When I went to his superior for help to rectify the situation he refused to do anything period so I went higher up the chain of command to Ottawa.

Ottawa refused to help and turned it back to the Regional Director Civil Aviation who took it upon himslef to really screw me over....this went on for about two and a half years at which time my legal expenses and the fact that my company had been shut down for those two and a half years resulted in my finally being bankrupt....

Eventually I went back to Ottawa and an internal investigation proved that I had been denied due process and TC had in fact acted unlawfully.....

...I have to catch a ferry to Vancouver...will finish this in a couple of hours on the ferry and let you know what TC is really like.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

O.K. GottaFly I can now continue to explian what TC is really like and you would be wise to remember what I am telling you.

There are many people working in TC who are decent honest people who would like to do their job fairly and efficiently, however the problem they face is their top management has put in place a culture that is based on the good old boys club that runs TCCA like a private third world dictatorship and anyone who steps out of line as far as the dictates of the power brokers at the top is concerned will be ruined as far as their career is concerned.

So lets get right to the root of this problem and examine the Director General Civil Aviation, the person responsible for the inner workings of TCCA, Merlin Preuss.

Merlin Preuss is a morally corrupt very powerful civil servant who can and does rule with an iron fist when it comes to policy within the regulator.

His methods of operating and his disregard for the rule of law would put a Mafia Don to shame when it comes to morals.

A Mafia Don is a criminal and their behavior is by defination that of a criminal.

Merlin Preuss is the person who "should" ensure that rule of law is followed in the running of TCCA and that we the public who are guaranteed our rights under Canadian law is enforced according to law.

However he has the beliefe that he is above the law and can and does disregard said laws when it so pleases him to protect his empire.

I was one of Merlins targets wherein he destroyed my career and company to protect several of TC's management who had acted unlawfully.

I have not been able to work in aviation in Canada for the past several years due to TC taking direct action to prevent me from working in Canadian aviation for the simple reason that I proved beyond doubt that Preuss and several other top level management are morrally corrupt and ignore the law when they choose to.

So to make it easy to understand, the Mafia is a criminal organazation and subject to the laws of Canada when caught breaking said laws.

Preuss and his underlings are supposed to uphold the law, however they think that they are above the law and flaunt the law and therefore are lower than the Mafia.

That is a simple outline of why I hold TCCA in utter contempt.

tasev1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: CPL Long Cross Country

Post by tasev1 »

I got stamped a few places, but not all. I liked them in my book.

Return to “Flight Training”