To go or not?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
Rubberbiscuit
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:02 pm

To go or not?

Post by Rubberbiscuit »

Have an AC interview in September. Was going to turn it down initially but was persuaded by a few to belive that I better show up...... Well now I regret my decision, as I am slowly realizing I will not be able to accept a position if I make it through the screening. AC just sent me the e-mail confirming the interview and ask that I cancel as soon as possible if I can't make it. So the question is, do I cancel the interview altogether, or do I show up and risk having to turn down the job offer?
---------- ADS -----------
 
"Nearly all safety regulations are based upon lessons which have been paid for in blood by those who attempted what you are contemplating" Tony Kern
User avatar
Nightflight
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:15 am

Post by Nightflight »

If you are sure you don't want the position then why waste everyones time including yours. My two cents.
---------- ADS -----------
 
flyinphil
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 570
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:26 pm

Post by flyinphil »

Have a really good long look at the reasons you could not accept the position. If it is financial obligations, how much are you willing to sacrafice to get that job. AC provides excellent employment opportunities and benefits.

That being said, the worst place to live is beyond your means.

If you have a Westjet tattoo on your ass, well, they can be removed. :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rubberbiscuit
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:02 pm

Post by Rubberbiscuit »

Thanks for the input guys. I have decided not to go. It would put my present employer and my family in a less than desirable situation if I passed the screening and accepted a position.
---------- ADS -----------
 
"Nearly all safety regulations are based upon lessons which have been paid for in blood by those who attempted what you are contemplating" Tony Kern
perserverando
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:01 pm

Moving from Europe

Post by perserverando »

I am also torn about Air Canada.

I am 42 with kids and A-320 Captain for a low cost carrier in Spain.

Of course first would have to pass interview then there would be dillema.


Will there be movement in the seniority list over the next few years ?
---------- ADS -----------
 
flyinphil
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 570
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:26 pm

Post by flyinphil »

Rubberbiscuit wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I have decided not to go. It would put my present employer and my family in a less than desirable situation if I passed the screening and accepted a position.
Good to see a mature and selfless act Rubberbiscuit. You are to be commended. :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Hickory Stick
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:28 am
Location: Canada again

Post by Hickory Stick »

Heard that you have to move up 500 numbers in the seniority level to get out of the pay group. Anyone getting on now may be stuck making spacepeanuts for a long while, especially considering the fact that AC is at the tail end of hiring.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------
 
You have no idea how good we have it in Canada!
RB-211
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:18 am

Post by RB-211 »

Stick,

If you are correct on your assumption, and I think you are then you make a very valid point. AC stops hiring (it will happen) and not only do you face the possibility of lay off, you get paid crap wages waiting for people to retire. All those pilots who got the 'kids' in a few years back must be smiling in private. I am not saying any of them did not deserve the gig, but it all becomes clear now why many got in first. Either way the pay group sucks and I hope for the sake of those bottom dwellers, it is disposed of during the next round of contract talks.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Jeremy Kent
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: Guelph, ON

Post by Jeremy Kent »

RB-211 wrote:I am not saying any of them did not deserve the gig, but it all becomes clear now why many got in first.
So if I understand you correctly, we do deserve it... but don't deserve it...?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Hickory Stick
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:28 am
Location: Canada again

Post by Hickory Stick »

Silly question Mr. Kent. I don't think you really need anyones validation, as long as you think you deserve it. Let's not split hairs, I do not think RB was trying to start anything. Congrats on getting on big Red.

Cheers

By the way any idea on how many more to get hired?
---------- ADS -----------
 
You have no idea how good we have it in Canada!
Rubberbiscuit
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:02 pm

Post by Rubberbiscuit »

Well, I must say I am impressed with how AC handled it when I called to cancel my interview and explained why.... and trust me it was not an easy call to make! They said they understood, appreciate my honesty, thanked me for not wasting anyones time and assured me that I did not burn any bridges. They told me to continue to update my application and let them know when I become available.

In a nutshell my wife has dutyfully, and for the most part without any questions followed me around as I have been chasing airplanes and paycheques. It is now her turn in the spotlight. She wants a crack at going back to school and I have made a committment to see her through it. We have kids so I have taken a job that will have me at home everynight. Besides, it is a great job and I am working with a great bunch. I have concluded that the key to being happy is not restricted to the size of the paycheque or airplane... but rather being content with the lifestyle you have. Everyone have different ideas of what is the right path for them.
---------- ADS -----------
 
"Nearly all safety regulations are based upon lessons which have been paid for in blood by those who attempted what you are contemplating" Tony Kern
whereishere
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:27 pm

Post by whereishere »

Good Call... I was called for an interview a few months ago, and a fellow at our company is retired AC. He told me that once you interview and turn it down, you are done... but they are usually pretty good about you turning down the interview "for now". I did the same as you, just to keep my options open, but frankly I can't afford to go to AC and I am really enjoying the company I am at now.

Maybe 10 years ago, before the kid and the mortgage...
---------- ADS -----------
 
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2448
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:24 pm

Post by Four1oh »

Rubberbiscuit wrote: I have concluded that the key to being happy is not restricted to the size of the paycheque or airplane... but rather being content with the lifestyle you have.
Yee haaw! another one 'gits it'! :D Congrats on your decision, hopefully if and when you're ready, the door will still be open.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Drinking outside the box.
perserverando
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:01 pm

To be or not to be

Post by perserverando »

Reading some of the above posts I am also a little bitter on having not been called earlier for not fitting the profile or being connected.

Rubberbiscuit,

Good for you and your story sounds totally like mine. My wife also moved around with me and even went to Inuvik with me.

Sadly they may have called me too late I am on the fence.

Where my goal of many years is now a dillema.

Wondering if I am going to accept an interview date.

Isn't part of an interview finding out if it is right for on both sides ?

How long would it take to get on the heavier equipment like the 340 or 777as a rough ballpark guess ?

How much is the pay for the first few years, could you really get stuck as a Embraer FO ?

So if you turn down the interview " for now " you think you will really be able to go later in the future ?

I think that if I say I cant go to interview now it will be difficult getting called in the future ?

Is this true if you pass the interview and cant go on a course date you are screwed, you couldn't say sorry but I can only come later.


Like rubberbiscuit dont want to waste their time but am curious about doing the interview.

In a way if I do the interview and am turned down it will answer the question.

If I do not the Air Canada question may linger ?


You know if I want to chase the heavy equipment only it is better to go to India or somewhere

Guess if I go to interview and they say yes. I have to go. Got to be committed 100%

I have got a great lifestyle for now ( 320 Capt. ) but got no job security my company is OK now but may not last. Work long hours no benefits or union. It could end next year as a low cost start up.

Thanks for your patience in reading this %$&**& post. But interested in hearing opinions and feedback :?:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Air Canada”