Where were you on September 11th 2001?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

slat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by slat »

I took the day off work. My girlfriend and I watched the events unfold on tv after I heard that a plane crashed into the WTC on the radio.
We spent the remainder of the day in shock, glued to the tele.
---------- ADS -----------

The Velvet Fog
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Velvet Fog »

I was working departure control at YYZ. It was not a good day.

Regards,

Mel

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

I was at home sleeping, and got a call from my girlfriend to turn on the news because a 'small airplane' had hit one of the towers(that's how the news reported it) I turned on the tv to see a tower on fire, then 10 seconds later, a very obviously large airliner hit the 2nd tower. I think I stood front of the tv for the next 4 hours... lost track of time. I think I watched about 10 hours worth of TV that day.

Still as fresh as if it had happened yesterday.

Drinking outside the box.
Krashman
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Krashman »

I was in the third day of flight training... questioning the profession I had chosen.

I made it all the through and am living the dream now!

Having trouble reaching ATC? Squak 7500
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

I was at work (IATA) here in Geneva. It was 3pm local and my homepage:
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Airlines

Started showing stories of a plane hitting the towers. Within ten minutes, we were upstairs in our conference center with TV footage played on a giant movie screen. About sixty of us werein there watching the second plane hit the tower.

bmc
x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Oh Crap

Post by x15 »

I was finishing my Multi IFR ride at the same time the first plane hit. By the time the second plane hit I was applying for a job at the home depot because thats where i spent the next 3 months because of the incredible job market that followed that act.

YWGVOR
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YWGVOR »

I remember just getting up and starting to get ready to goto my instructing job when my mom called me and said a plane flew into a building in New York.. by the time I got my contact lenses in and the idiot box onto CNN I saw the second plane hit...

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Was at the caf. in school, a buddy came up to me and told me a plane hit the twin towers and peopel were jumping. It sounded so unbelivable, I thought he was slinging some bullshit. I said "ya sure, and the CN Tower is a giant missle thats being launched now. He looked at me kind of funny and walked away. When I got to my science class they had the tv on and showed the towers burning, and the people jumping. I didnt say much after that.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
GilletteNorth
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by GilletteNorth »

I was at work at the airport when we were told 'something' was happening in the states. There were fragments of reports during the day. I had to refamiliarize myself with SCATANA rules as faxes started coming in closing all airspace in North America. The last flight I saw after the next few hours of returning aircraft was a couple of CF-18's launching from Inuvik to intercept an asian carrier inbound to Whitehorse. They had just arrived to begin an annual exercise and we never saw them again. I have to say I was a bit peeved at the way the Americans closed their airspace and expected Canadians to accept all remaining airborne flights (and possibly terrorist controlled flying bombs) into their airspace. Thankfully there weren't any and our air traffic system were able to handle all unexpected arrivals.

Having a standard that pilots lose their licence after making a mistake despite doing no harm to aircraft or passengers means soon you needn't worry about a pilot surplus or pilots offering to fly for free. Where do you get your experience from?
chu me
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chu me »

I was born two days later. Now I'm an F/O on a Dash-8 at Jazz!!!!!

styles
Rank 1
Rank 1

9/11

Post by styles »

I was in tech class at my highschool. The teacher just rolled in the tv and turned it on. Thats how i found out. It was a nice sunny day at the time and then i just went home to watch the tube. I was at the airport later that day planning my first cross country trip within the next few days. I was the only one there with my instructor. very odd.

styles

AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AV8R »

I was in the air "instructing" when the first tower was struck and then ordered to land immediately.

Throttles to the wall
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

chu me wrote:I was born two days later. Now I'm an F/O on a Dash-8 at Jazz!!!!!
:shock: :lol: oh man, that's bad! funny, but bad!

Drinking outside the box.
Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Meecka »

I was doing the dishes at my parent's place having just been layed- off from Voyageur days earlier. 2 weeks later I was working up north.

jetboy1975
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jetboy1975 »

In a hotel in Teterboro N.J waiting for passengers to return from a business meeting in the nirth tower. They left 30 mins before the first strike.

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

I was on a charter flight out of YXU. Was told by Cleveland center to expedite my descent into Toledo. Was there for 3 days. Finally made it back to Canada and got married on the 22nd. I'll never forget 911.

lucky37
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lucky37 »

2 weeks prior I was in NYC standing underneath those towers, and when they hit I was in my first week at aviation college in T-bay. Terrible day for the world.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." -Nietzsche
Mark_space
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mark_space »

I was doing annual First Aid training with the rest of my unit in Kingston. The base was in an uproar that day as our civvy support staff was on strike, picketing the front gate. Traffic backed-up all the way down Highway 2, and tempers were short.

During a break, one of the students tells us that a plane just crashed into the WTC. Grim, I thought...We carry on with class, next break, we hear the same thing..."The same plane?"..."No, ANOTHER plane!". Needless to say, our mind wasn't on training after that, and the Union wisely ceased it's job action later that day...

By March, I was in Kandahar with the rest of my detachment, living in a 3-man recce tent, eating MRE's and getting rocketed by the Taliban...

VVV
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Where were you on September 11th 2001?

Post by ... »

2008 Bump

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Where were you on September 11th 2001?

Post by flying4dollars »

was gettin ready for my 1st day of classes at college.

Return to “General Comments”