Marvel Schebler MA-3SPA CARB PROBLEMS

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

citabrick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Marvel Schebler MA-3SPA CARB PROBLEMS

Post by citabrick »

Recently the carb on my Citabria with an O-200A had a fuel leak. I sent the carb to a shop and had it repaired. While at the shop a one piece venturi and an atomizer style fuel nozzle were installed. Now my engine is not making full power and runs very rich. On a ground run, if I go full throttle the engine runs very rough and emits black smoke, if I throttle back to 3/4 throttle the RPM goes up and it runs smoother. I have sent the carb back to the shop and they even ran it on a test cell engine and can find no fault. Has anyone here had this problem? If so what was the cure?
---------- ADS -----------

FLYING FOR FUN
.300 Weatherby Mag
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by .300 Weatherby Mag »

You may have an induction leak.

.300 Weatherby Mag
Rank 2
Rank 2

Make sure you primer is locked and not leaking.

citabrick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by citabrick »

I should have also mentioned that the only way I can get it to run smooth and produce any reasonable power at full throttle is by leaning out the mixture. My field elevation is only about 800ASL. Sorry for omitting that fact.

FLYING FOR FUN
hangarline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hangarline »

Are you running automotive fuel (mogas)? If so, try AVGAS. Big difference.

.300 Weatherby Mag
Rank 2
Rank 2

Get rid of that Marvel Schebler piece of shit and get yourself a Demon! :wink:

Seriously, are they sure they put the right needle and seat in? Float adjusted properly? Sometimes they run tops on the bench but the real world is different.

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

My Precision carb does exactly as you describe! It's been tested to hell and back a few times as well as the engine. Still to this day no satisfactory answers, even talked to a factory rep at Oshkosh about it and he suggested I send them the carb as he said they are the only ones who can properly flow test the unit.

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

Put the old venturi back in.

Jim

.300 Weatherby Mag
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jungle Jim wrote:Put the old venturi back in.

Jim
One piece venturi is required by AD.

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

Yes, I know about the AD but the two piece venturi works. Also the owner is the one responsible for maintenance these days. I'd rather fly a plane that performs as designed as opposed to a poor running one with a legal piece of paper on the book.

He should be able to state the situation in the log books and defer complying with the AD. ( quite a few champs are flying that have defered the spar inspection holes this way) I had a similar situation with the weight and balance when I bought my Stinson. The calculations done repeatedly over the years by qualified AME's were wrong. I revised them myself, sent the documents to TC and was told that the wrong calculations had to be the ones used because the AME's were deemed qualified persons. I challenged them on this and they did back down and accepted my calculations with my P.Eng. stamp in the end.

Jim

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

This is a very common problem with the SP3A, Keep sending it back until you are satisfied with it. I struggled with your situation several times in the past.

Also good job challenging TC with your stamp!! Ive done the same on several occasions, with mixed response from TC.

Perhaps ask for the "Engineer" that is fixing your carb, to adjust the float level down a bit.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Shot in the dark: is the float sinking? There is quite the trail of AD's on this.

Bulawrench
Rank 4
Rank 4

Carb trouble

Post by Bulawrench »

I can't beleive a transport inspector accepting an idiot with a pinky ring having any say in an aircraft issue. The ring is there to remind you dumb f@%ks that you screwed up.
Give me a break. Go build a bridge.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

an idiot with a pinky ring
You mean, someone like a DAR? :wink:

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Carb trouble

Post by Strega »

Bulawrench wrote:I can't beleive a transport inspector accepting an idiot with a pinky ring having any say in an aircraft issue. The ring is there to remind you dumb f@%ks that you screwed up.
Give me a break. Go build a bridge.
My friend, it is people such as you, that keep this industry in the toilet.

Go and get an education.

hoptwoit
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by hoptwoit »

This is not directed at anyone here but since we are on the topic.

Do not confuse an education for intelligence as they are not interchangeable.

By the way since the owner is responsible for maintenance did he submit an SDR to Transport regarding the carb problem?

People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.
twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

I personally would send the carb back and say nice try, but this time do it right. I just had a carb on our 172 that is for employee use back to the shop 3 times before it worked right.

And bula, buddy, lighten up a bit.. Maybe I should bring you some medicine... :wink: :P OK.. We'll just go to the Beav and I'll let you buy!!

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

you are correct, intelligent people pursue higher education.
hoptwoit wrote:This is not directed at anyone here but since we are on the topic.

Do not confuse an education for intelligence as they are not interchangeable.

By the way since the owner is responsible for maintenance did he submit an SDR to Transport regarding the carb problem?

hoptwoit
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by hoptwoit »

Strega wrote:
you are correct, intelligent people pursue higher education.
Kinda thought this might happen so in you're case we may have to apply the universal language of math. Let's see how could we write this formula?

(Strega's comment + attitude) / Higher education = Arrogance

You're comment smacks of it.

There are many intelligent people that have not sought higher education.

Perhaps a more appropriate statement would be. Intelligent people seek knowledge. :D

Please don't seek to elevate yourself by putting other people down. It's not becoming of the "Higher educated"

Last edited by hoptwoit on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.
Bulawrench
Rank 4
Rank 4

Carb trouble

Post by Bulawrench »

Yeh, i guess i need to lighten up twotter . I think something struck a chord. My brotther has a pinky ring and as far as i remember his sh@t did stink when i was a kid. After all this is only for fun. Thanks Twotter.What day is cheep beer night anyway?

Return to “Maintenance”