Bearskin to YKF

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2850
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:05 pm
Location: Toy Poodle Town, Manitoba
Contact:

Bearskin to YKF

Post by desksgo »

Hopefully it won't go the way of YKZ.
WATERLOO REGION

The expanding local airport in Breslau has hooked another small airline, which will offer up to three daily flights to Ottawa.


Bearskin Airlines, which caters to business travellers in northern Ontario and Manitoba, will launch its Ottawa service Oct. 1.


Bearskin joins giant carriers Northwest, which flies to Detroit, and Westjet, which flies to Calgary. The airport also offers vacation charter flights in the winter months.


Bearskin spokesperson Ron Hell said the Ottawa services is aimed at business travellers.




He expects Bearskin to succeed, where four small carriers have failed since the 1970s, because it has a better track record, deeper pockets and more experience.


The airline, owned mostly by two brothers, was founded in 1963. It’s an Aeroplan partner, and is one of the oldest commuter airlines in central Canada.


The airline will use 19-seat turboprops. Flying time to Ottawa is just under an hour.
Regular return fares are expected to be in the range of $370, including fees and taxes, but seats will be on sale when the airline launches.
---------- ADS -----------
 
atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:41 pm

Post by atpilot »

I hope they don't leave the "business traveller" out in the cold in Kitchener like they did in Markham when they ceased operations without any warning.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Jeremy Kent
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: Guelph, ON

Post by Jeremy Kent »

What a blast from the past! I live right under the approach for 25... I never thought the beige death tubes would find me down here!
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore

Post by bob sacamano »

Jeremy Kent wrote:What a blast from the past! I live right under the approach for 25... I never thought the beige death tubes would find me down here!
Half of them aren't beige anymore :P
---------- ADS -----------
 
:smt109
costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:52 pm

Post by costermonger »

Hope the third time's the charm for YKF-YOW service.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Elessar_44
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:34 pm

Post by Elessar_44 »

Good news for my hometown. It'd be nice to fly outta there some time in the future.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Snowgoose
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:04 pm
Location: Duty Free Shop

Post by Snowgoose »

costermonger wrote:Hope the third time's the charm for YKF-YOW service.
Funny how some people don't learn from other people's mistakes. It's been less than 10 years since the last gang folded while doing this run. Didn't think I'd see this run fire up again this soon. Although I heard Georgian was thinking about it too. Maybe there will even be competition and a seat sale.
---------- ADS -----------
 
It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind and head into the ground.
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2670
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:53 am

Post by . . »

The run is very highly subsidized, so it's not as silly of a move as many think.

Good on bearskin for always pushing out and trying new routes. I hope they do well.
---------- ADS -----------
 
atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:41 pm

Post by atpilot »

I hope they do well too. However, there have been more than 3 kicks at the can in this case. I have a feeling we'll all be talking about this in another 8 to 12 months.
---------- ADS -----------
 
costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:52 pm

Post by costermonger »

Snowgoose wrote:Funny how some people don't learn from other people's mistakes. It's been less than 10 years since the last gang folded while doing this run. Didn't think I'd see this run fire up again this soon. Although I heard Georgian was thinking about it too. Maybe there will even be competition and a seat sale.
Ever since QuikAir dropped the YKF-YOW and YKF-YUL routes, I've wondered if that happened because of the problems within the company, or if the routes themselves were the problem.

I guess we'll see. I don't know what kind of numbers they were getting.

I know of Trillium, QuikAir and now Bearskin.. Who else has tried this one?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Stephen Szikora
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:39 pm

Post by Stephen Szikora »

The service started October 1. I took a return flight YKF-YOW-YKF on October 10 and was very pleased with the service. The flight out at 7am was half full (nine) and the return flight at 6pm was full (eighteen). Impressive for only the first week or so of service, but I think they might have difficulty with 3 return flights a day. I'll use it for every trip to Ottawa from this point on.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 9241
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:28 am

Post by Doc »

I don't know, it'd be nice to see it all work out for them, but the lawn dart will get pretty old, pretty fast for the Biz guy on that route. Only time will tell.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore

Post by bob sacamano »

Doc wrote:I don't know, it'd be nice to see it all work out for them, but the lawn dart will get pretty old, pretty fast for the Biz guy on that route. Only time will tell.
Why would the biz flyer get tired of the lawn dart?

Would it get so old and tired that the biz flyer would drive to Ottawa?

Or would it get so old and tired that they would drive 1.5 hours to YYZ, then wait there for at least 1 hour, then take a flight that's 45min long?

I highly doubt it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
:smt109
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 9241
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:28 am

Post by Doc »

Well Bob, as I said, only time will tell.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Stephen Szikora
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:39 pm

Post by Stephen Szikora »

Oh. one thing I forgot to mention. It is loud in the aircraft (Fairchild Metroliner) so when in Ottawa I dropped into a Candian Tire and bought some earplugs for the return flight! I was sitting at the front beside the props so I had the worst seat (but I prefer to watch the crews.) They should offer earplugs with the service. That is the one thing I think could irritate some passengers.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Anonymous1
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:22 pm

Post by Anonymous1 »

You mean "service" in the context of a transportation service don't you? Just because most people in the airlines use the word "service" to imply cabin amenities such as F/As, wine selection, entertainment, etc.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Stephen Szikora
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:39 pm

Post by Stephen Szikora »

The passengers don't work for the airlines (quite the opposite, actually.)
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 am
Location: I'm not in Kansas anymore

Post by bob sacamano »

These are bearskin metro's, not perimeter. The cabin noise is not even comparable.

For 50 minutes, I'm pretty sure I'd put up with it, given my other choices for traveling between YKF and YOW.
---------- ADS -----------
 
:smt109
User avatar
Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:18 pm
Location: CYYZ

Post by Localizer »

The 3 and 23 are very quiet compared to the 2's. If thats makes you feel a little warm inside.

As for the run ... Harvey has lasted this long in aviation, im sure he's got his ducks in a row for this. The Metro is cheap to operate and im sure there are a few kick backs for trying this new venture.

Loc
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:22 am
Location: Nowhere fast

Post by CaptainHaddock »

He's right,they should handout earplugs-I've never met a quiet metro.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”