homesick
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
homesick
Well as the title says thats what I am, got a new job and I hate the fact that I am far from home,miss my lady and my kids.I wonder if I chose the wrong line of work. I am commuting as of now and don't think I ever want to move. How about anyone else? What do you do to forget about it? This sucks
Regards
John
Regards
John
Maybe it is just the wrong job in the right business?
I always tell people considering aviation as a career that there are many, many disappointments and the triumphs and achievements are usually personal so your distant wife and kids just don't reap the benefits.
Whatever you decide, never sacrafice what you have at home as this is just a job. I ask my adult kids what they remember most about me and my work and all they can come up with is "you were never home".
There are some pretty good gigs out there though and many that allow plenty of time at home. It is just a matter of finding the right one.
Good luck!
I always tell people considering aviation as a career that there are many, many disappointments and the triumphs and achievements are usually personal so your distant wife and kids just don't reap the benefits.
Whatever you decide, never sacrafice what you have at home as this is just a job. I ask my adult kids what they remember most about me and my work and all they can come up with is "you were never home".
There are some pretty good gigs out there though and many that allow plenty of time at home. It is just a matter of finding the right one.
Good luck!
-
hawker driver
- Rank 5

- Posts: 308
- Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:49 pm
Your not the only one. I work an 8 ON / 7 OFF schedual year round. Being away from home and sleeping in hotels 6 months a year may sound great when you are 22 but, when you are 42 or 52 it really sucks.
If the company is going to keep me away from my family 6 months a year they ARE going to pay me well to do so!
If the company is going to keep me away from my family 6 months a year they ARE going to pay me well to do so!
- twinpratts
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1625
- Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:38 am
- Location: The Wild Wild West.
- Contact:
Been there, done that, my friend. Did a year commuting at a previous employer, and came to the conclusion that i would never do it again. We decided that we would all move together before we would spend so much time away.
Good luck, buddy.
Good luck, buddy.
I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
-
TheEvilTwin
- Rank 1

- Posts: 49
- Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 9:02 am
I get the impression from alot of guys its like this.
I've heard countless stories about guys who finally "make it" to a major. Its all good for the first 100 hours.. hey look at me sitting in a jet at FL370.. then reality sinks in, and its the same old as before... except instead of coming home at night, your stuck in a hotel room where you don't want to be...
I've heard countless stories about guys who finally "make it" to a major. Its all good for the first 100 hours.. hey look at me sitting in a jet at FL370.. then reality sinks in, and its the same old as before... except instead of coming home at night, your stuck in a hotel room where you don't want to be...
bingo...TheEvilTwin wrote:I get the impression from alot of guys its like this.
I've heard countless stories about guys who finally "make it" to a major. Its all good for the first 100 hours.. hey look at me sitting in a jet at FL370.. then reality sinks in, and its the same old as before... except instead of coming home at night, your stuck in a hotel room where you don't want to be...
-
SuperchargedRS
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1485
- Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:30 am
- Location: the stars playground
- twotterflogger
- Rank 3

- Posts: 194
- Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:52 pm
- Location: Depends on where they send me
Welcome to the club.
I miss everything... well not everything but well here it goes...
-Tim Hortons
-Canadian respectful motorists
-A REAL BAR
-Strip clubs
-safety both in aviation and in motorists...
-Good internet access
Now, I dont have kids or a wife, but even if I did I would not change a thing..... (other than having access to Tim Hortons coffee)...
However I try to head out to the gym as much as possible, drink weird african witch doctor cane spirit, and seem to spend most of my time complaining about everything with fellow expats....
Good luck, and just think... you cant commute back home from Africa every week-end....
I miss everything... well not everything but well here it goes...
-Tim Hortons
-Canadian respectful motorists
-A REAL BAR
-Strip clubs
-safety both in aviation and in motorists...
-Good internet access
Now, I dont have kids or a wife, but even if I did I would not change a thing..... (other than having access to Tim Hortons coffee)...
However I try to head out to the gym as much as possible, drink weird african witch doctor cane spirit, and seem to spend most of my time complaining about everything with fellow expats....
Good luck, and just think... you cant commute back home from Africa every week-end....
King Eddie, you must be thinking about the rotary side of the MNR and not the bomber side. Spending your summers away from home has pretty much become the norm as you are well aware!! I can remember the days when it rained and the hazard dropped you were actually brought home and not left to rot in some hole where there wasn't a hope of a fire getting started.
You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!



