Celine Dion sings for Air Canada...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

phatboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Celine Dion sings for Air Canada...

Post by phatboy »

How funny is this. Celine Dion singing "titanic" for air canada workers today. Air Canada seems to be rolling......the employees think their ship is unsinkable....however, I believe there is an iceberg "dead ahead"....

good luck boys......can air canada make it longer than the titanic? This is the question? :P

me thinks not :twisted:
---------- ADS -----------

W0X0F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by W0X0F »

Pass the cookie jar, I need to hurl!

172pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

AC

Post by 172pilot »

I don't understand this company. Where did they all of a sudden find multi millions for marketing? Didn't they lay off numerous employees and screw over their creditors? I wonder how happy their suppliers are seeing Celine after having to write off and lose how many millions supplying services to the old AC?

As much as I think AC is/was a good company, they appear to back on the same old track. Spend now (new paint, new uniforms, high priced singers) and figure out where the revenues will come from later. I used to fly AC alot. Usually 2x per week if not more. The flights were usually full but yet they posted losses. The flights are still full but the question is, do they have a new save money philosophy. I think not. WJ/Jetsgo are successful. They have no world class performers. Why does AC need this?

On the news tonight, they interviewed ppl at the airport and asked what they thought about this marketing. The travelers said Celine wouldn't influence their decision, price would. AC should of saved their pennies and reduced the fares by a few dollars instead. Paint nor uniforms will convince ppl to use AC anymore than the competition. It's AC's employees and creditors that will once again will lose out.

Does anyone know if AC ever paid NavCanada?

Last edited by 172pilot on Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phatboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by phatboy »

check out the story on the ctv website. Financial expert says he thinks this will all backfire. People don't want to hear Celine...they want better fares better service. Looks like air canada is wasting money again and will be back in the same situation before long....that would look good on them.....kinda hard to go to the taxpayers for a bail out when you are spending money on that crap...

Circuit-Jockey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Circuit-Jockey »

This is typical of AC. Report a profit and blow it. Once a crown corporation always a crown corporation. Nobody can change the fact that ramp employees throwing 5 bags a day can make over $100 grand a year ... that checking-in at an AC counter is like experiencing hell froze over because the agents are so disgruntled and crusty... and that the pilots of all teams (ie regional, AC, Canadian) all hate each others guts. This corporation has issues far deeper and sophistocated than a paint job or cheezy pop star performance. Only restructuring this company will solve their problems, meaning that most of AC's departments should be contracted out to other companies. Companies that pay workers reasonable salaries, and hold them accountable for a job well done. The days of high wages, slack working conditions and ruthless corporate spending are over for all airlines. Unfortunately, the only viable solution to these issues is to close this cash hungry, poorly run, over-unionized company and start over. OUCH!

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

This is a cut and paste from another forum

“Try to imagine that Celine Dion video playing on mtv, mtv Asia, mtv Europe, vh1,mm,... that's huge exposure for a flat fee. No paying every time it airs like regular ads. This was a brilliant coup for the guys in marketing to get Celine involved. Think outside the box.”

phatboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by phatboy »

thats a nice opinion.....but thats not what the public will say...they are going to be pissed that air canada was whinning about not have any money and want us to foot the bill....and then to go spend money on this... what a joke....what a joke of an airline...

F-16
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by F-16 »

I thought I'd try and weigh in with my two cents here. I'm not an expert, but I do have a marketing degree (why am a pilot, well, let's save that for another day)

While I'm not a celien dion fan (never was, never will be), she is someone who represents Canada, especially in the USA. They've got a tag line for their campaign, "you and I were meant to fly" which is, in my opinion much better by FAR than the US Majors ad campaigns (AA - We know why you fly? To me, big deal, doesn't spur me to action, United - I think it was - It's time to fly, yeah ok, that one gets people thinking about flying, etc.)

The big thing is that Air Canada needs to keep people flying, keep their planes full (yes, I am being Captain Obvious here). IMO, This tagline is one that has potential to invoke positive feelings about flying, vacations, etc., and hopefully spur action in people to fly.

I think that co-branding is an important part of marketing, and Celine Dion invokes thoughts in people that "she is Canadian" and she is well liked around the world, especially in the U.S. Air Canada, is still seen as the Nation's flag carrier, they represent Canada, ala the maple leaf. I believe that a lot of this advertising will be focused internationally, including the U.S.. Air Canada has made no secret about another wave of expansion to the U.S., and I think that using Celine Dion can help their campaign - and really focus on Canada.

Also, Air Canada will be joining forces with (i forget, but I believe) it is Tourism Canada to promote Canada abroad. Again, this is important. The co-branding of two powerful images of Canada to promote Canada and Air Canada to people will hopefully spur actions of flying to Canada. This will only help Air Canada in their quest to be a dominant international carrier, but also help them maintain a strong domestic network by feeding it from around the world.

All Airlines have to keep advertising. It's all part of the game, trying to keep on the top of people's mind, and influence their purchase decisions, When people think of flying, Air Canada wants to have themselves in the individuals evoked set (list of options that the consumer will choose from based on experience, feeling, etc.). Advertising is only going to be that much more important with the heated competition in this industry.

Employees have to realize that this was probably demanded by Deutsche Bank and Cerabus, as parts of the investments, New image, etc. I think that Air Canada has done a pretty good job developing this campaign. Will it succeed? that remains to be seen. A year ago, I would've liked to have seen an ad campaign revolving around a new era at Air Canada "We've turned over a new leaf", new logo, etc. Obviously CCAA was not the time for it, and they are showing that they are turning over a new leaf, and making changes. Now it remains to be seen, can they sell this to the customer, their employees, and make it a success.

I just hope that the changes don't stop at the cosmetic level, if they don't continue to evolve operationally as they are on the image, price, service levels, then I believe that it will be harder to sell to the employees and that the campaign will not be nearly as successful as they are hoping.

Again, just my two cents. As for the new uniforms, WAY better! New Interiors, WAY better, New Livery... well, jury is still out, would really like to see the a/c in person to best judge it.

Time will tell.

Kick the tires and light the fires...
UWOGuy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by UWOGuy »

This is a great post F-16...

Air Canada is the company that everyone loves to hate... It's part of management's job to try and change that... While employees may feel that Celine is a bit over the top considering what they've been through in the last few years, it may just be what the company needs.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Geez guys, lighten up....it's not like she's the *fat* lady singing!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
CrimsonSkies
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CrimsonSkies »

So when is Rita McNiel going to sing for them...........in another 18 months??

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

F-16 wrote:
Also, Air Canada will be joining forces with (i forget, but I believe) it is Tourism Canada to promote Canada abroad.
That sounds an awful lot like a department of the Federal government will be doing some of the groumd work for this airline. Will tax dollars be funding this arrangement?
If so will Tourism Canada be extending their service to all the tax paying competitors of Air Canada.

Mitch Cronin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mitch Cronin »

You're all out to lunch.... AC is going to be around for a long time to come!

Phatboy... you clearly don't understand... none of "us" has had to pay a cent, you dork... not one red cent of Canadian taxpayers money has gone into AC for an eon now... You sound an awfull lot like another moron that posted here some time ago.... another reincarnation of the same dweeb, no doubt. Now <i>that's</i> a joke!

Celine is a perfect representative for our new beginning. I like the new look, and I like our chances for the future.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

Wait.....lets get back on the topic of Celine Dion. I don't know about you folks....but I hate her very much. :evil: I would go on, however, I think 'Bandaid' would get upset at me.

What the phuck is going on here.....!?!?!

Apparently people are paying $200US per ticket in Vagas to see this junk.

Please.....no more threads with "Celine Dion" on the title. I'll LOSE it.!!!

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

What was that about Rita McNeill?

I heard she was diagnosed with that flesh-eating disease.

Doctors have only given her thirty years to live.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Your right Griffon, Celine is a perfect representative for your new beginning...........how fitting she sang the theme song to Titanic! :shock:

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

Gee some of you folks really need to get a life. The market appears to like the new AC look as ACE shares gained a few cents while WJ lost a few. But then again not having the ability to think outside the box means you’ll spend the rest of your lives inside the box, pity..

phatboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by phatboy »

your right......rebel....using a celebrity to promote your company is really thinking "outside the box"...has it ever been done before??....milton is a genius.....just think of the possiblities with this one.......next thing ya know we could even use athletes on tv commercials....wow, It great to think outside the box....air canada should get out of the flying business and into the commericial marketing....after all rebel is saying that air canada has "invented" all this celebrity marketing..

:P

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Now if they got Shania Twain to sing.....in that outfit whe wore in "I Feel Like Woman"...oh....oh.....yes,yes,YES...I need a smoke!

just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

Yes, "her heart will go on", but if she really needs to go anywhere, it will be on her private jet.
Roll credits:
Smith, Astor, Andrews, Ismay and Milton.

Return to “General Comments”