instructor rating or road trip?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

helinas
Rank 5
Rank 5

instructor rating or road trip?

Post by helinas »

Helinas here again bugging the crap out of everybody but need some advice from the experienced out there regarding whether to invest into an instructor rating or go on a road trip looking for flying opportunities.
Presently I have 440 TT which includes 92 on floats and 75 on twins. I also possess 15 years ramp, baggage, towing and de-icing experience with canada's flagship carrier. As well I used to be co-owner of a Piper Navajo operation in the late 80's so I know a little bit of owning and operating a charter operation. Your advice please.
---------- ADS -----------

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

Road Trip

greenwich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by greenwich »

'helinas'...

I vote for road-trip as well!!

Getting into instructing is the easier route in that you just stay in the comforts of your life...do your rating...and most likely get your first job at a local field!

Road trip means packing-up the car, up-rooting, and maybe never coming back!!

Sounds like u are an older bloke, so the latter might be even more of a bitch!?!?!?

As for the career, we all make it there in the end regardless of where we starte! BUT, one thing I do know for a fact that every instructor would immediately drop what he/she was doing if a "real" (ie charter) job came-up! Every instructor I have ever met instructed because that had to...not because they wanted to!

G

cedarjet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cedarjet »

I say take a boat trip to Hellas. I hear of a new startup in Mykonos, on floats, BD Air, (Backdoor air charters).

Here's the staff on the regular weekly outting. From left to right, Stavros the CP, Gus Ops manager, and Mykos the boytoy.

The real cedarjet
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

cedarjet...you are one sick puppy!!
helinas...make your own mind, dude!!! Nothing sadder than advice from a bunch of pilots on a BB.
As Nike would say...Just Do It!

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

cedarjet wrote:I say take a boat trip to Hellas. I hear of a new startup in Mykonos, on floats, BD Air, (Backdoor air charters).

Here's the staff on the regular weekly outting. From left to right, Stavros the CP, Gus Ops manager, and Mykos the boytoy.
Not bad....just don't give up your day job just yet.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

ROAD TRIP......CLASS 4 gets you no job fast and cost your a shit load...that being said if you have some sort of chance at the school you do your rating at that may have some multi equipment that they use on charter.....but basically its road trip always...even if you dont fly right away you will get the bump at some stage if you work hard and you will learn alot more and chances are the bump will be into equipment that you will never log time in at a flight school. Plus it seems that less and less companies really respect instructing time...not all but alot.

My 2 cents

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

Helinas,

If you had put all this effort into bugging a CP instead of asking this board, you would have a job by now!

You've had enough encouragement from the board, I think you have the right attitude, so go out now!

Next time you post, it'll be to let us know you got hired! :wink:

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
Hun IN the SUN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hun IN the SUN »

ROAD TRIP

rent the movie first then do it

its sad but true instructors are underpaid and are not in demand as much as in the states.

Return to “General Comments”