Superior Airways

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Ballsssssss
Rank 4
Rank 4

Superior Airways

Post by Ballsssssss »

Any of you NWO people know anything about Superior? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spanks,

Ballssssssss
---------- ADS -----------

TT: don't care PIC: still don't care MPIC: really really don't care TURBINE: get a life.

Life's never fair, get a helmet.
BusDriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Superior Airways

Post by BusDriver »

What do you want to know? Pilot/Maintenance? Base in Red Lake, airplanes are well maintained, all single pilot, some good guy's have worked there and most have moved on to greener pastures. Pm if you prefer.

Pierre Maguire should have his larnyx ripped out! IDIOT!
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

I can tell you nothing about the company. But... the hangar was designed by a pilot for ease of pulling aircraft out, and into the hangar.

I saw the airplane on a charter, and walked around it. Paint and cleanliness were 10/10, brake pads were new, flap rails were good, no smoking rivets, props weren't "gravellized" Didn't go in, but avioncs were better on it than when I flew a chieftan out of the same hangar.

Blue Side Down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Blue Side Down »

Seems they do a *lot* of flying... or at least they did last summer. I would hear them all the time when out doing my daily puddle jumping routine north of the zone.

Their Ho's are a pair of sharp looking machines for sure.

I thought I came across some mention that they're trying to get one of those new-fangled Kodiaks

Flyer36
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyer36 »

If anyone has any questions, fell free to give me a call.... Our almost new T206H is just coming out of the paint shop which might remind you a lot of a school bus. We are on schedule for the first Canadian delivery of a Quest Kodiak which will redefine bush plane performance.....3500 lbs empty weight, all glass on the dash and a 750 hp Pratt on the nose.....Aircraft hangared, maintained properly with new parts and PA31s have GNS430 units approach certified, autopilot coupled up front. We are looking to set up our own AMO if anyone could pass the word along to their local Director of Maintenance, especially if they are not being treated properly and are looking for a change....$8,000 a month salary. (Check the new job ads..)

Mike

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

Flyer36 wrote:a Quest Kodiak which will redefine bush plane performance.....
How is it better than an Otter?

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Damn -- the ghost of Orville lives on.

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Damn -- the ghost of Orville lives on.
Porky?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

indeed

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

The company has NOTHING to do with the Superior of yesteryear. Just the name.

Flybaby
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Flybaby »

Northern Skies wrote:
Flyer36 wrote:a Quest Kodiak which will redefine bush plane performance.....
How is it better than an Otter?
Well for one I don't think the Kodiak is going to be parked on the Ice north of YPM for a couple of days.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Anybody see that pic of Porky in the Santa Claus suit standing beside the Otter, in one of Milberry's books? :D

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

I'm glad to hear they've changed for the better. I heard some horror stories from the past and had no idea about theur current situation. That's about all I know about superior.

I have no idea who porky is. If you're also hinting that they used to have an Otter, I didn't know that either. I'm just curious about how the Kodiak is a better bushplane than a Turbine Otter, because I don't know much about the kodiak. It sounds like an improved caravan from everything I've heard, and that doesn't sound like redefining much. That's why the comment sparked my interest. If it is that good, than it sounds like a pretty cool plane.

Ballsssssss
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ballsssssss »

Thanks for all the feedback. The aircraft look nice...I have been following the Kodiak for awhile, should be a hell of a performer.

TT: don't care PIC: still don't care MPIC: really really don't care TURBINE: get a life.

Life's never fair, get a helmet.
Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

History Lesson 101 -- "Porky" was the nic for Orville Weiben who owned the original Superior Airways (no connection) I assume the name has just been reused since Superior/Severn Enterprises no longer exist and have not since the early 80's -- Orville was one of the original NWO operators and had a rep right up there with Carl Millard on how he treated his pilots -- most guys I knew who flew there seemed to do quite a few "cash" side trips to make ends meet :mrgreen: -- Severn of bygone days was never in Red Lake -- Sioux -- Pickle and of course T Bay

Orville -- although a real *unt was a pretty interesting guy -- got his start as a test pilot on Hurricanes that were built in Thunder Bay -- he test flew them as the came off the assembly line --

His real ability was in salvage and was a master of getting broken airplanes home --

Superior operated floats/skis(mostly cessna and beaver) and DC-3's and weibenville north of Pickle was his brain child -- last man out turned up the space heaters and hoped the place burned down -- :smt040

His son was killed(late 60's) in a beaver north of T Bay pushing wx trying to get home -- he had a daughter who did take over but only had a beaver and supported a camp at Pays Plat. Austin Airways bought the hanger in YQT and absorbed Superior at the same time and Austin operated out of the hanger there until they moved to Sarnia and changed names.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I believe O.J. was the actual "inventer" of the "Healing Shelf". If you left a "US" part on a shelf in the back of the "barn" long enough, it would become serviceable at some later point in time.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Porky fuc.ed me twice but karma finally ruled.

He asked me to do a test flight on his DC3 in Calgary after some major work was done on it. ( I was flying for Mobil Oil on their Douglas Racer at the time. )

So after two test flights I gave my bill to the AMO and they fainted....they called Porky for approval of payment ...Porky went postal and asked to talk to me.

I told him it was payback time so either he paid the money or he could send someone else to Calgary to re fly the test flights....

Porkey paid.

Was I unfair Charlie and Doc? :smt040

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
bobo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobo »

As an old, and I do mean old, ex Superior Airways pilot, working for O. J. from 1968 through 1972, I can attest to what has been said about the company and the man. I flew 180's for $300 per month plus 4 cents per mile, Beavers for $400 per month and 6 cents per mile, and Beech 18s for $400 per month and 10 cents per mile.
Every spring you had to threaten to quit before you would get an increase in monthly pay and possibly a larger airplane.
Maintenance was iffy at best with inspections being done on paper but in reality usually done by the pilot or possibly a dock hand with some mechanical expertise.
I flew a 180 out of Pays Plat at the lodge on short trips to the surrounding lakes and St Ignace Island hauling fishermen and moose hunters.
I was based in Nakina and became base manager there while flying to points north with Beavers and Beech 18s delivering freight to mining camps, settlements such as Fort Hope, Ogoki Post, Landsdown House and Attawapiskat. We also did our own and other outfitters fishing and hunting camps along with a lot of goverment work flying in both federal and provincial crews to stream guaging sites on rivers throughout all parts of NWO.
I spent one winter based at Wiebenville flying an 18 on freight and fuel oil hauls to Big Trout Lake, Fort Severn and other communities. Wiebenville was as bad as it gets. Old trailers with barely liveable heat, no running water, two-holer toilets and a mess haul that left alot to be desired. It was an experience that would not be forgotten.
I was working for Superior when Howard, OJ's son, was killed in a beaver returning to Port Arthur from Heaven Lake. He got into weather and spiralled in and burned on the outskirts of town. Although only about 100 yards from a home, it took over a week to find the wreck site
after an extensive search. I was the one who had to let his mother Roberta know the bad news. I don't think Orville ever forgave himself for letting Howard bite off more than he could chew. Too young and inexperienced to be flying what he was flying in those conditions.
Looking back on it now it was quite a learning experience. Would I do it again? Probably if I was young and foolish and searching for adventure.
Bob Ostrom, Corpus Christi, Texas

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Unfortunately you don't have to look to hard to find that this practise still goes on here in Canada:

"Maintenance was iffy at best with inspections being done on paper but in reality usually done by the pilot or possibly a dock hand with some mechanical expertise."

Hard to believe, I know, considering we are the safest country in the world - according to our regulator. I guess if one shoves their head far enough up their ass, one might feel safe.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Great Post Bob -- I was working for Barney at OCA -- my first float season was when Howard drove it in -- There was a guy working with us at the time - Bill Tweed -- who knew Howard well and he took it very hard -- likely why is sticks so well in my mind -- my first experience with a fatality in an airplane that people knew.

It was certainly an era in aviation in Canada.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”