Advanced Education - is it worth it?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyingrox
Rank 0
Rank 0

Advanced Education - is it worth it?

Post by flyingrox »

Hi everyone,

Long time browser but first time poster.

I am finally going to make the move to fly professionally. It seems like such a long process to get where I ultimately want to end up - a professional airline pilot.

I am looking for ways to accelerate myself ahead of others. I figure its going to take me a few years to get the hours needed to get to the airlines but am thinking of doing a master's degree in business on top of my undergraduate degree. I am hoping it will float me to the top of the massive amount of resumes probably waiting at every company.

Its going to cost me even more $$$ then I already spent on flight training so do you think its worth? I figure its better then buying more flight training like a PPC.
Thoughts/opinions appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Advanced Education - is it worth it?

Post by TopperHarley »

An undergrad degree is more than enough to make you competitive in terms of education at the airlines.

Getting a master's probably won't help in terms of getting your resume noticed. In fact, for many of the smaller companies, it will probably hurt you.

Education is always a good thing, but I don't think the master's is the best investment for you at this time. A degree or diploma will definetly get you more points on airline applications, which you already have. Combine your education with some good flying experience and a second language, and you'll be well rounded. There's no guarantees though, just keep that in mind.

I'd stick to flying for now. Wait until you're established, then do more schooling part-time if that's still what you want. If you think flying isn't for you, then the master's will definetly come in handy. But for now, I would get the flying out of the way first.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Getting a master's degree is a lot of hard work. That same hard work applied in a flying job will set you apart from others just fine. If you plan and think for a second that any employer will use that to differentiate you from any other low time pilot, you are in for a tough shock. If you hope to put that education to work down the road and have researched the degree to know that will be an option, then that is a good plan. It will not land you a low-time pilot's job or make your journey any easier.

I'm a bit curious as to why you said Master's Degree VS PPC. What's wrong with working hard, getting your first flying job and being the best possible pilot you can be? Those pilots come in all flavours, school-educated, life-educated and a combination of both. Regardless, no school will ever by-pass you from having to work harder than you ever imagined to get through this industry successfully. Plan on that much, don't expect any diversions from that little fact and you'll shine.

CIL (University "edu-maketd" to the Master's level; if that helps)

PS. You'll get paid to earn an advanced education in this industry just by being employed for the next 10 years. ;)

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

"Advanced Education - is it worth it?"

This is the reason pilots in North America are paid less than unskilled labour jobs.

Lommer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Lommer »

If a great flying career is what you want out of life - NO.
->postgraduate education is definitely unnecessary and may even harm your flying career for being "overqualified"
->undergraduate eduction is not worth the time/money if you are getting into the industry at a time when the economy and hiring cycle are good - the same amount of effort and time will take you much further in your flying career. At a slow point when it might take years on the ramp to get into the seat of an airplane, you may be well advised to spend those years at university earning a degree.
->completing highschool, however, is probably recommended these days :)

All that said, if you feel like you might ever like the option of leaving professional aviation for whatever reason (lifestyle, medical, significant others, DUI or event that makes you very hard to insure, etc), doing at least an undergraduate degree is probably a good call. If your undergraduate degree is in basketweaving, following it up with an MBA, LLB, or masters degree might be desirable too.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Someone with a master's degree driving an airbus makes
about as much sense as someone with a Phd pushing a
broom in a lab. You could do it, but it would be kind of
a waste, don't you think?

IMHO, a degree of any kind is a waste for a unionized
heavy equipment operator.

If you want to get an MBA, sure. But you should be the
CEO of the airline, not pushing buttons in a cockpit.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Although I'm currently working on my LL.B., I agree with what the other posters have mentioned. If your goal is to be an airline pilot, an undergraduate degree is more than enough. While an airline might like the fact that you have an MBA, they'd prefer the 1500 or so hours of experience that you could obtain in the time it takes to get that degree.

Now, if you want to do something management related, that's a different story. Even still, I'd look into doing an MBA later on in your career. Focus on flying full time for the first little bit to get your hours up, and then once you've got some experience, you can look into some of the MBA options. For example, Queen's has an Executive MBA that you can do while still working http://business.queensu.ca/mba_programs ... /index.php and Daniel Webster College in the US has an online MBA for Aviation Professionals http://aviation.dwc.edu/ although I'm not sure about the reputation of that program.

Don't go spending more money by paying for a PPC or flying for free. Go work the ramp or instruct for a bit to build up time. They're not the most glamourous jobs, but they can be a crap load of fun and you'll be building time and ready for the airlines before you know it. As well, if you're feeling studious, on your spare time you can possibly do some online courses or take a second language course.

Good Luck!

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

If your ready to fly commercially now then jump in head first. If the industry goes into the shitter b4 you start your multi IFR then go to school.

Why work the ramp for +2 years to get a couple of spots ahead??

flyingrox
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyingrox »

why would having an MBA actually hurt you with some companies. That doesnt make any sense. What kind of hick boss doesnt believe in edumacation.

As well, I forgot to mention I am interested in management/operations down the road. I am trying to keep as many doors open as possible.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

flyingrox wrote:why would having an MBA actually hurt you with some companies. That doesnt make any sense. What kind of hick boss doesnt believe in edumacation.
You just answered your own question :) Some managers and supervisors don't want employees who are smarter than them or know more about business than they do.

AntiNakedMan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AntiNakedMan »

JBI wrote:
flyingrox wrote:why would having an MBA actually hurt you with some companies. That doesnt make any sense. What kind of hick boss doesnt believe in edumacation.
You just answered your own question :) Some managers and supervisors don't want employees who are smarter than them or know more about business than they do.
Especially if they've been running a successful business for many years, and someone who went to school and has no business experience tries to change things...

"It's not the size of the hammer, it's how you nail" - Kanga
Lommer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Lommer »

The other reason is turnover... Even non-aviation companies are loathe to hire over-qualified people based on the fact that they are more likely to jump ship soon for a better opportunity. In aviation where training costs are sky-high, this inclination can be even stronger.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

another question now...what if you have 5000 hours....PIC out the yin yang, SIC jet time (not heavy), but lots of turbo-prop PIC, is it then worth it to go for a masters (I already have a B.Comm) if one day, after 25 years of flying, I might like to get into management? The reason for my question, is that I am considering a part time MBA. Thanks in advance.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Wally,

Many of the people I know that are really doing well in this industry have done just what you have said. Put the flying time in, seen as much as this business has to offer and then put the MBA or DR on top of that. It's worked out well for them. Again not a necessity in becoming a strong player, but it sure hasn't hurt the people I know.

It seems to be the better approach to solidify yourself with experience then throw the education on top of it.

just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

Hey there - long time since I last posted. When I started in aviation a while back I had a marketing diploma and an aviation management diploma. I flew for ten years on and off and decided to go back to university for my Bed. I'm done this year and I am not sure whether I will resume my career in aviation or teach high school, however it is nice to have the choice. That, I think, is what having post secondary is about - choice. Any employer (aviation or otherwise) that cannot apprieciate the hard work and effort it takes to complete a post secondary education will most likely not appreciate your intrinsic value as an employee or individual.

SQ

Post by SQ »

just another pilot wrote: Any employer (aviation or otherwise) that cannot apprieciate the hard work and effort it takes to complete a post secondary education will most likely not appreciate your intrinsic value as an employee or individual.
thanks a lot justanother pilot to have found the right words :smt023
after that you have to consider the type of operations you want to make your career in.
but it is quiet strange to think that education and knowledge could stop you in your career progression added to good flying experience.
may be there is something I didn't understand here...

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

may be there is something I didn't understand here...
Let me help you out.

Aviation companies can be owned by some of the lowest forms of life in society, thus their thought process will not be of the highest caliber. Some of the same caliber of people are in charge of over sight of said industry. Therefore you have a dysfunctional industry that does not require the same level of education or for that matter general IQ than that found in most other industries.

In many companies if you have a good education or high IQ you will be seen as a threat to their way of thinking.

Hope that helps clear this up for you. :mrgreen:

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
SQ

Post by SQ »

. . wrote:Hope that helps clear this up for you. :mrgreen:
You bet, .!
I'm gonna erase all my studies from my resume right away and specify I'm a type-B personnality :mrgreen:

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

May I add that any pilot who does not avail them selves of as much education as they can is putting all their eggs in one basket.....and the basket of aviation is going to be a rough ride for your eggs.

Remember you are not compelled to tell your employer if you hold a degree in something not directly related to aviation.

I bet none of you would ever guess the old Cat has a Doctorate in marriage counselling. :mrgreen:

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
light chop
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by light chop »

MBA = Master's of Bugger All...

Intentional Straight & Level Flight Prohibited

Return to “General Comments”