West Wind/Trans West Air

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
movin' around
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:49 pm

West Wind/Trans West Air

Post by movin' around »

Looking for information on Transwest Air in Prince Albert, or West Wind Aviation in Saskatoon : What is the atmosphere like? Whart are the shifts? Is the pay reasonable? What is the town like? Is the housing affordable? Any feed back would be great Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------
 
HeavyD
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:48 am

Re: West Wind/Trans West Air

Post by HeavyD »

Finally something I can help with, at least part of your question. I unfortunately have lived my whole life in PA, and I absolutely hate it. Way too high a crime rate, wannbe gangers walking all over breaking stuff and stealing from your yard, no industry left, but has 3 large prisons! Oh, it's also the 4th coldest city in Canada (check this out http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/weather/winners/city.cfm), but on the plus side it is pretty cheap to live. Housing prices are normal, and 100K will still buy a decent place. Saskatoon on the other hand has skyrocketed, and is now more expensive than Edmonton, so unless you can share a place, it will be about 1K for an apartment inc bills and over 250K for a house barely out of crack areas. My neice worked for trans west for awhile, she liked her co-workers but tough to get ahead so she packed it in for better ops in Thompson Manitoba. If you are seriously thinking of coming here PM me and I will see if she will contact u via email as to what the deal is at TW air. Hope this helps.
---------- ADS -----------
 
You can take the man out of P.A.- but you can't take P.A. out of the man!
movin' around
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: West Wind/Trans West Air

Post by movin' around »

Thanks for the info, I thought Saskatoon was still not to bad, but I have not been there for a while. What does your sister think of Thompson? Who is good to work for there?

Does any one have any infor on Red Lake??

I am really just trying to find a place where the town is not to bad, I can actually afford a house on normal wadges, and the work is not terrible. Again any suggestions would be great.
Thanks alot.
---------- ADS -----------
 
HeavyD
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:48 am

Re: West Wind/Trans West Air

Post by HeavyD »

I forgot to mention my neice is a pilot, so her experience would be somewhat different than for an AME I imagine. When I went out to the airport asking questions one AME said he was making around 50K a year, fixing mostly older twin engine stuff. Can do pretty good here on that wage, as long as you don't booze it all up like the rest of this town. I will see if she will send you a PM with her opinions.
---------- ADS -----------
 
You can take the man out of P.A.- but you can't take P.A. out of the man!
movin' around
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: West Wind/Trans West Air

Post by movin' around »

Do you mean 50K a year in P.A. or Saskatoon? Do you think that you hate P.A. because you spent your whole life there? Or is it well knowen to be a dump?? Thanks for the imput.
---------- ADS -----------
 
HeavyD
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:48 am

Re: West Wind/Trans West Air

Post by HeavyD »

Sorry, I meant 50/k yr in PA. I have friends here that like PA and will never leave, so maybe you would too. It is like a small Winnipeg. On the plus side, we are very close to tons of nice lakes with fishing, cabins, beaches, etc.. so if you end up here I say try to make use of these features..it makes things alot better.
---------- ADS -----------
 
You can take the man out of P.A.- but you can't take P.A. out of the man!
movin' around
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: West Wind/Trans West Air

Post by movin' around »

Well I think I will call Trans west air and see what they have to say. It sounds like you can at least afford to live in P.A. I guess if I go there I will just have to deal with the rest of the down falls. Thanks for your help
---------- ADS -----------
 
HeavyD
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:48 am

Re: West Wind/Trans West Air

Post by HeavyD »

Hey, no problem. If you get a job here make sure you PM me and I will tell you the areas don't want to rent in, and might be able to find you a really cheap suite if it is still open. Should have no problem getting work, when I went out there a few years ago I was told they hired a few guys off the street to be apprentices, so they must hurt for workers.
---------- ADS -----------
 
You can take the man out of P.A.- but you can't take P.A. out of the man!
movin' around
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: West Wind/Trans West Air

Post by movin' around »

yeah will do, thanks for all your help
---------- ADS -----------
 
6ftsnipe
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:13 pm
Location: in the wheel well

Re: West Wind/Trans West Air

Post by 6ftsnipe »

FYI: Saskatoon housing market (own/rent) is nuts, and Edmonton is now cheaper to live than Stoon.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Maintenance”