AME wages north

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
arc300dvs
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:28 am

AME wages north

Post by arc300dvs »

First Air 22.81 after 6 1/2 years maintenance, 2 1/2 years licensed. Yellowknife
---------- ADS -----------
 
6ftsnipe
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:13 pm
Location: in the wheel well

Re: AME wages north

Post by 6ftsnipe »

ok.

Keep in mind everyone is their own best salesman. A lot of people don't realize this.
---------- ADS -----------
 
arc300dvs
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:28 am

Re: AME wages north

Post by arc300dvs »

I just wanted to state what the rates are up here. No one is complaining really. Besides, there are allowances and bonuses that go on top of the regular wage so that you get another 5.00 on top in total.

It could be more but the benefits make up a lot for what we do not get in dollars.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
KISS_MY_TCAS
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:31 am
Location: ask your mom, she knows!

Re: AME wages north

Post by KISS_MY_TCAS »

Wow, I would be ashamed to earn that after that length of experience in Yellowknife. I'll stay south, without the gov't northern pay I still earned more at that stage in my career, and I did buy a house for under 1/8th of a million.
---------- ADS -----------
 
arc300dvs
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:28 am

Re: AME wages north

Post by arc300dvs »

Ashamed? This is the going rate up here. The total hourly pay is about 28.00 per hour. No too bad if you consider health benefits, Almost free travel anywhere in the country, full interline benefits, RRSP matching, and family and social benefits. So, whether yoou make more n the south depends whether you get more per hour, pay way less for living expenses, and have at least the same benefits. So why is it that I feel ok with what I get paid? I do want more as well but it occurred to me that I rather take a buck less per hour and travel to Africa for 250.00 bucks return. I am doing ok here, just spent too much time in the barrens. Are you happy with your life?
---------- ADS -----------
 
SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:41 pm
Location: Wet Coast.

Re: AME wages north

Post by SeptRepair »

Good points, a fair wage is so dependant on where you live. I lived in Victoria up until about 6 yeras ago and making 20/hr. That was the going rate at all shops. It almost seemed like the company owners knew they had you by the short and curlys and there was f'all you could do about it. Cost of living was stupidly expensive, much like Calgary has become. I finally got fed up and started contracting myself out. I moved to a small town where real estate is dirt cheap and made that my home. Being a contractor you can live anywhere, and with the right contracts, all expenses can be paid to and from the job site. Those working mon-fri 8hr days will most likely never get ahead in todays economic climate.
---------- ADS -----------
 
How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
qa guy
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:34 pm
Location: ontario

Re: AME wages north

Post by qa guy »

you are right bud! It is all relative to your living expenses, company benefits, shifts and overall hapiness at work. You can move to a big city like T.O. make 85k a year but you're renting a 550 square foot condo for $1500/month.........RELATIVE!
Personally I would take a couple of bucks less to keep my Mon-Fri 8-5 job where I truely feel valued and respected.
If you are not happy or ready for a change you are doing the right thing and seeking a new job, instead of whining about it like some people. (I'm sure we all know a couple) GOOD LUCK TO YA!
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
KISS_MY_TCAS
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:31 am
Location: ask your mom, she knows!

Re: AME wages north

Post by KISS_MY_TCAS »

arc300dvs wrote:Ashamed? This is the going rate up here. The total hourly pay is about 28.00 per hour. No too bad if you consider health benefits, Almost free travel anywhere in the country, full interline benefits, RRSP matching, and family and social benefits. So, whether yoou make more n the south depends whether you get more per hour, pay way less for living expenses, and have at least the same benefits. So why is it that I feel ok with what I get paid? I do want more as well but it occurred to me that I rather take a buck less per hour and travel to Africa for 250.00 bucks return. I am doing ok here, just spent too much time in the barrens. Are you happy with your life?
Okay, perhaps ashamed was a little strong, at the initial face value it seems like a really low amount. I am really surprised that the going rate up there is that low, that's all. I always assumed it would be higher but had never really looked into it. I have full benefits, RRSP matching, profit shares, as well as family and social benefits but no interline benefit, but the profit shares would cover any airfare I would spend with money left over. I am perfectly happy with where I am and it sounds like you are too. Some things you cannot put a price tag on.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Canook
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: northwards

Re: AME wages north

Post by Canook »

22.81 is around the going rate? Well maybe at First Air anyway.. drop a resume off anywhere else at the airport in Yellowknife and add at least 5.00 to that, probably more, given your experience and time in. And that's before benefits, bonuses, etc..

Everyone that I know in Yellowknife, even a few that work for First Air have said to me that AME wages are generally rising quite well. Employers have realized I think that they have to pay to attract good people and keep them also.
---------- ADS -----------
 
arc300dvs
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:28 am

Re: AME wages north

Post by arc300dvs »

Well, First Air maintenance wages are not negotiated with a supervisor but is determined by a collective agreement at the time of your hire with the manager. It is also some attempt to have somewhat of a union-like protection for the workers. So your wages are grouped into Technicians, ACA Technicians, Groomers, etc. You are supposed to get a raise every year until you hit something like 30.00 dollars after around 9-10 years of working for the same company. The actual wage is based on your seniority or input in years, rather than skill levels and once you have been initially grouped you move up in that particular group, so there is no negotiating with that guy who hired you at a later time, even if you worked your behind off and made reasonable attempts to impress someone like crazy. This is what creates a huge complacency issue with otherwise willing folks, but also a sense of security and no significant talk about incomes between workers; thus there is no competition worth speaking of. If you plan on working there bring your mouth with you as you do not want to be grouped into a level 5 or 6 as an AME Tech to start out with, unless your wife makes a lot more than you and you are not having to feed hungry kids and a pretty woman. However, the group benefits and (top) management skills in this company are excellent and for almost anyone there are the only reason why they put up with the plenty of nonsense on the floor.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
emoutal
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:05 pm

Re: AME wages north

Post by emoutal »

Thats not much more than an apprentice fresh out of school at tindi. http://www.amejobs.ca/jdetails.php?jid=157
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Maintenance”