Which plane?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

scm
Rank 7
Rank 7

Which plane?

Post by scm »

I have to choose between these three planes..any idea on which one i should use for my PPL training?

Piper Archer - 110$Solo/150$Dual
Cessna 172 - 110$S/150$D

Citabria - 100$S/150$D
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Well the first two are simple nose wheel trainers.

The Citabria will teach you how to fly.

So it all depends on what kind of flying skills you want to learn.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Citabria for PPL, and get into both the Archer and C172 for you X-country trips if and when you work on your CPL.

However you'll be far better off doing your primary training on a citabria.

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

I agree with the above: Citabria IF the instructor actually knows what they are doing in the plane themselves. If not, you will get VERY frustrated, and the training will end up costing you a LOT more in the long run. If you've got an experienced instructor, however, then there is no contest.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Citabria, hands down.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I still find it stunning that there are so many instructors out there that can't fly simple single engine airplanes such as a Citabria.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

I love Citabria's, especially the 7KCAB. This one is a 7ECA I assume? Having flown all 3 types, Citabria is my favorite by far. Right hand on the stick and left hand on the throttle. Going from tricycle gear to tailwheel, you will be lazy on the ground, learning from the beginning in a tailwheel you will never get lazy on the ground and will have better hands and feet coordination imho

Nordo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Nordo »

Citabria with out question!! but I have one...

why do they charge 40 dollars per hour on the nose wheels and 50 dollars per hour on the tailwheel?? Do they pay less attention to you when you fly various types?? If we had a Citabria, Id charge less for my time. Citabria, Supercub and C150 (in my opinion) are three of the best trainers around.

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyrony of petty things.
mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

Go with the Citabria. If it's a GCBC with 150-160hp even better. It's much more fun to fly and you'll become a better pilot because of it. I did my tailwheel training in one years ago alongside training in a C150. I believe it improved my skills faster. I just got s#*t sometimes for almost scraping the tailskid on the C150 while landing.
If you want your own small 'fun' aircraft down the road it will likely be a taildragger and you'll only have to learn to fly it later.

scm
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by scm »

citabria it is then

the reason the citabria dual is more expensive is because its a different company. both are situated right next to each other, a mechanic teaching on the citabria and the flying school teaching on the other two. I have talked to them both and they both seem like really nice guys (experienced too) so the decision was tough, but you all have made it clear what i should go for.

thanks for the help

http://www.lloydaircraft.com/Flight%20T ... P_0012.JPG
http://www.lloydaircraft.com/Flight%20T ... P_0027.JPG

cedarjet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cedarjet »

fly each and every plane.

The real cedarjet
cowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cowboy »

I agree with cedar fly all three, expience on various aircraft is a good thing never know what you will encounter in the future.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Fly them all. The big , the short and the tall
Which ever aircraft you feel comfortable in will ease your learning and make each flight more enjoyable. :D

Stearman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stearman »

Wow is that what it cost now!

Man the only airplane worth flying is a taildragger. It'll keep you honest and teach you the right way to fly, so you will avoid making those school boy mistakes later on.

- NoseDraggers Suck

Return to “Flight Training”