Baggage Fees on Air Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GilletteNorth
Rank 7
Rank 7

Baggage Fees on Air Canada

Post by GilletteNorth »

Air Canada to introduce $25 fee for extra bags
Last Updated: Friday, April 25, 2008 | 4:17 PM ET Comments116Recommend108CBC News
Customers flying with Tango and Tango Plus tickets will have to pay an additional $25 to check a second bag, Air Canada said Friday. Travellers flying with Air Canada are going to have to fork over a little more to bring a second suitcase, the airline announced Friday.

The Montreal-based airline said passengers with Tango and Tango Plus tickets bringing two bags on flights within Canada and to the U.S. will be charged a $25 fee on flights after July 15, 2008. Until now, Tango and Tango Plus allowed travellers to check two bags at no additional cost.

"This policy change is part of the on-going review of our activities that allow us to keep pace with current industry standards and economic realities, while remaining competitive with our main North American competitors," executive vice-president Duncan Dee said in a release.

The new policy does not affect travellers purchasing the airline's latitude and executive class tickets.

Airlines introduce new service fees
In April, Air Canada announced it would offer expanded customer service options for an additional fee. The service, called On My Way and priced at $25 for short-haul and $35 for long-haul flights, provides waylaid travellers access to customer service representatives who will help arrange for complimentary hotel accommodations, car rentals and complimentary meals.

Air Canada's new baggage fee mirrors similar surcharges introduced in the U.S. In February, United Airlines said it would begin charging travellers a $25 one-way surcharge to check a second bag. Four other airlines followed suit, with Continental, Delta, Northwest and US Airways announcing plans to begin charging customers an additional $25 for checking second bags in May.

United Airlines also announced earlier in April it would bump up fuel surcharges from $10 to $20 US for round-trip travel, citing rising fuel costs.
I really see this as a good thing. For a longtime it seemed passengers were bringing more and more baggage along on flights. Waiting in checkout lines was dreadful with the crowds and huge amount of luggage. Hopefully this will persuade people to try harder to reduce the amount they 'think' they need to take along while travelling. Before anyone starts saying "What about large families" etc, I have a large family and on a recent trip to Mexico we brought 4 suitcases, 2 of which were almost small enough to be carry on bags, for 6 people. It can be done.
---------- ADS -----------

Having a standard that pilots lose their licence after making a mistake despite doing no harm to aircraft or passengers means soon you needn't worry about a pilot surplus or pilots offering to fly for free. Where do you get your experience from?
BoostedNihilist

Re: Baggage Fees on Air Canada

Post by BoostedNihilist »

Last edited by BoostedNihilist on Tue May 04, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

It always kills me how much junk some people bring with them. Rotating to YEV and YFB I never brought more than the one 70# action packer and a carry on, and that included food and -40 clothing for 2/3 weeks. You should see what some of these rig pigs bring for a 3 week tour to camp! :lol:

first time away from your mommy? Did you pack your blankie? :lol:

JigglyBus
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by JigglyBus »

I personally think all travel should be on a weight basis. It is for cargo.... and people should be no different. It costs airlines money to move weight, and it should cost the consumer.

Why should a 85lb teenager pay as much as a 285lb fast food junkie.

There should be a ~180lb basic, and then every pound over is $X, whether it be luggage or fat ass.

If this was adopted, (although it never would be thanks to human rights lobbyists) ticket prices would greatly decrease for the average sensible consumer.

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

I disagree with you guys...
This might not apply to Tango but more in regards to Air Canada.
I travel to and from work internationaly and work long rotations.... Now when I head out to East Africa, I usually fly with KLM or Ethiopean Airlines, both of whom have an 40-60KG weight limit before going into the ''over-weight, over charge'' bill. However, to connect to these flights from Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal I usually take Air Canada, and get charged up the wazooo for it... Now if other international carriers can give me such a baggage allowance why can't my own National Airline do the same? :?

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

twotterflogger wrote:I disagree with you guys...
This might not apply to Tango but more in regards to Air Canada.
I travel to and from work internationaly and work long rotations.... Now when I head out to East Africa, I usually fly with KLM or Ethiopean Airlines, both of whom have an 40-60KG weight limit before going into the ''over-weight, over charge'' bill. However, to connect to these flights from Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal I usually take Air Canada, and get charged up the wazooo for it... Now if other international carriers can give me such a baggage allowance why can't my own National Airline do the same? :?
Then pack your bags according to the AC limit. Until people are willing to pay what it really costs to fly then this is the new way, get used to it. Airlines want to make money just like everyone else!

Oh and Tango is Air Canada.

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

whiteguy wrote: Then pack your bags according to the AC limit. Until people are willing to pay what it really costs to fly then this is the new way, get used to it. Airlines want to make money just like everyone else!

You obviously have never worked abrod. Try leaving for 6 months and only pack 30 pounds of luggage! lol I doubt you'd make a comment like that... :)
Wait a minute, if KLM and other carriers can do it why can't AC do it? Geez, and our government keeps bailing these guys out... ummmm
Tell me... you wouldn't happen to be a baggage handler with a bad back would you?
:lol:

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

twotterflogger wrote:
whiteguy wrote: Then pack your bags according to the AC limit. Until people are willing to pay what it really costs to fly then this is the new way, get used to it. Airlines want to make money just like everyone else!

You obviously have never worked abrod. Try leaving for 6 months and only pack 30 pounds of luggage! lol I doubt you'd make a comment like that... :)
Wait a minute, if KLM and other carriers can do it why can't AC do it? Geez, and our government keeps bailing these guys out... ummmm
Tell me... you wouldn't happen to be a baggage handler with a bad back would you?
:lol:
Used to be but not with a bad back. Remind me again when the government bailed out AC!! And yes I have worked overseas. Its a nice day for fishing LOL :mrgreen:

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

Tis a good day for fishing my lad :lol:

2milefinal
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 2milefinal »

I have to agree. Pax should be charged by the kg/l b.
With the price of fuel. The airlines may be close to having no choice.

Swerved
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Swerved »

Twotterflogger, if you're ignorant enough to think that our government keeps bailing Air Canada out, you are either truly misinformed, or just plain unintelligent. If, on the other hand, you're just trying to get a rise out of people, then troll away...

Swerved.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?
SQ

Post by SQ »

AC is looking for fuel savings, thats all, they dont give a shit about baggage boys neither forcing people to show comon sense in their packaging
AC is also trying to become a low cost airline where everything, even basic service, will be charged to customer. theyre going to propose you an insurance to have your hotel room payed if flight is diverted or canceled.
wasn't that basic package before ?
hmm... low cost low cost.........
:roll:

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Going overseas for six months? Pack what you need for a week or two, and ship the rest. Pretty simple answer to that problem. And, pack what you THINK you'll NEED, then leave two thirds of that behind....try it. It works.

Dave T
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dave T »

While I do agree that some people bring WAY to much on holidays I think charging for an extra bag is really going to far. I have been on many vacations with my golf clubs, or a trip where I need to bring a garmet bag that have required a second bag. This is something that I would expect from Easyjet or Ryan Air, but come on this is our national airline.

I think that if fuel is too expensive the price of a ticket should go up. Enough of stupid surcharges and extra fees. We all deserve some service and I would be willing to pay a little extra for an airline that provides it.

Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Topspin »

I would think that this rule is applied to the 3 person family with 8 75LB suitcases. And good luck ever chargin by the pound with out being sued for everything you will ever earn in your lifetime.

See this thread....

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 49&t=42301

Guido
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Guido »

Dave T wrote:While I do agree that some people bring WAY to much on holidays I think charging for an extra bag is really going to far. I have been on many vacations with my golf clubs, or a trip where I need to bring a garmet bag that have required a second bag. This is something that I would expect from Easyjet or Ryan Air, but come on this is our national airline.

I think that if fuel is too expensive the price of a ticket should go up. Enough of stupid surcharges and extra fees. We all deserve some service and I would be willing to pay a little extra for an airline that provides it.

I know what you mean - I used to travel for business - one small bag would be for my clothes and toiletries, the other would be loaded to the brim with computer equipment that I needed for my job...

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

Dave T wrote:While I do agree that some people bring WAY to much on holidays I think charging for an extra bag is really going to far. I have been on many vacations with my golf clubs, or a trip where I need to bring a garmet bag that have required a second bag. This is something that I would expect from Easyjet or Ryan Air, but come on this is our national airline.

Except that people want to fly the national airline at the Easyjet/Ryanair price. For example if AC does increase the airfare by $25 and WS doesn't who are most pax going to travel with. People always want the lowest price. And look at what the lowest price is doing in the US.

BoostedNihilist

Post by BoostedNihilist »

Last edited by BoostedNihilist on Tue May 04, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

This could be a golden PR oppotunity for airlines like WJ on routes competing directly with Air-can. They can flaunt the fact that you can still have the industry standard of 2 bags without being penalized for it financially.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Has any noticed in the past several years, that as baggage handling services got slower and slower (ie. longer waits at the baggage carousel), that people started carrying larger and larger carry-on baggage....wonder if the airlines will start to charge some sort of service fee for the size of a carry-on as well :roll:

Gravity always wins

Return to “General Comments”