Baggage Fees on Air Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Baggage Fees on Air Canada

Post by twotterflogger »

BoostedNihilist wrote:
You obviously have never worked abrod. Try leaving for 6 months and only pack 30 pounds of luggage!
Take your laptop and your camera, your headset and flight related stuff.
If you are going to a 3rd world country to work (i go there to travel but this logic still applies) Take a couple days worth of clothes and hit a market. Textiles are cheap in Africa for example.

Sure, whatever you say pal....
Have you even ever tried to find decent clothing in Africa? You obviously haven't been where I have...
As an expat working and living abrod, trust me mate, you can't just bring "a couple of days worth" of clothing and get away with it.
And yes, I do try to pack light but its hard when working in multiple continents over 6 months without knowing where you'll be next... Greenland one day, Africa the next, who knows where you'll be after that... Its just not as simple as you make it out to be:)
---------- ADS -----------

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

Swerved wrote:Twotterflogger, if you're ignorant enough to think that our government keeps bailing Air Canada out, you are either truly misinformed, or just plain unintelligent. If, on the other hand, you're just trying to get a rise out of people, then troll away...

Swerved.

I'm mistaken, sorry, jetlag here... :oops: now, go over the rest of my posts since I joined this forum and tell me again that I'm trolling away :wink:

BoostedNihilist

Post by BoostedNihilist »

Last edited by BoostedNihilist on Tue May 04, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

The average traveller isn't going away for 6 months at a time or if they are moving permanently, they don't move via Air Canada. Yet you figure you should pay the same amount even though you are packing an above average amount of luggage and (even more importantly) you are travelling and hauling this stuff to make money. The term for this is I believe is "the cost of doing business".

There is no extra charge if you pay a fare that doesn't require ID confirming that you live in a trailer park. :wink:

PS AC still offers an additional savings if you have no checked bags at all.

YWGVOR
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YWGVOR »

I also noticed on the website that it now says "Bicycles are now on a space available" only... this is also new...

Sooooo... when I plan on going racing, or travelling with my bike to Hawaii... I have no gaurantee that my bike is going to get to the other end with me...

You just lost my business AC.. you aren't the only game in town...

Id rather be golfing...
Topspin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Topspin »

If they are bumping oversize/overweight items on a space available basis, I am fairly sure they don't care. They are therefore likely hauling cargo that generates a lot more revenue than your domestic ticket.

I fail to see how this is really a big deal, I would have thought that a much bigger deal would have been paying for a pillow/headset. IMHO thats what really steps aside from the industry, and companies have to make money, not cater to each individual customers needs.

:rolleyes: Besides who says your luggage will actually arrive anyway :wink:

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Topspin wrote:I fail to see how this is really a big deal, I would have thought that a much bigger deal would have been paying for a pillow/headset.

It's just yet another thing being removed from their services which other carriers provide as a normal passenger service. Individually this is just another simple Air Canada shenanigan (like day old shitty subs from Subway at premium prices) but if you add up all that has either been taken away or what now costs more for the traveller, it kinda rots.

YWGVOR
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YWGVOR »

When my bike is worth more than my car, and I intend on going racing or make a training camp mini vacation out of it, it is a HUGE deal... kind of helps to go to a race in say Vancouver and know your main piece of luggage and the purpose of your trip is arriving with you...
Topspin wrote:
If they are bumping oversize/overweight items on a space available basis, I am fairly sure they don't care. They are therefore likely hauling cargo that generates a lot more revenue than your domestic ticket.

I fail to see how this is really a big deal, I would have thought that a much bigger deal would have been paying for a pillow/headset. IMHO thats what really steps aside from the industry, and companies have to make money, not cater to each individual customers needs.

:rolleyes: Besides who says your luggage will actually arrive anyway :wink:

Id rather be golfing...
F-16
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by F-16 »

FYI....

The charge is only for Tango or Tango plus customers within N. America.

The old baggage allotments still count for Lattitue and exec. customers in N. America and ALL customers for anything outside of N. America.

YWGVOR - going to Hawaii on AC - the plane will always be a 767 - lots of room for a bike.

Cheers

Kick the tires and light the fires...
whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

linecrew wrote:
Topspin wrote:I fail to see how this is really a big deal, I would have thought that a much bigger deal would have been paying for a pillow/headset.

It's just yet another thing being removed from their services which other carriers provide as a normal passenger service. Individually this is just another simple Air Canada shenanigan (like day old shitty subs from Subway at premium prices) but if you add up all that has either been taken away or what now costs more for the traveller, it kinda rots.
No it doesn't cost more to from A to B thats what the fare is if you want others services pay for it. Don't blame Air Canada blame the pax that want the WS price and expect the "OLD" AC service.

And no this isn't a AC shenanigan since most of the majors in the US and Europe are doing the same thing.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

whiteguy wrote:And no this isn't a AC shenanigan since most of the majors in the US and Europe are doing the same thing.
That's not necessarily true. Was in Europe last year and this is simply not the industry norm. And when I said shenanaingans it was a nice way of saying further bullshit. Enjoy your sub.

PilotFlying
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PilotFlying »

What everyone is failing to realize here is that the recent 'reductions' in service aren't reductions at all, but a move to improve the conventional airline ticket in the way of providing choice. Air Canada's whole new philosophy is to provide flexible, custom-made tickets that fit each traveller's individual needs. If you want the same old full-service ticket that includes everything from meals to hotel arrangements in the event of a cancellation, you can select these options and pay what you would have paid for the 'old-fashioned' ticket in the first place. Those who don't care about all the little frills and are just as happy to pay $5 for a sandwich at Subway and carry it on the plane (which will probably taste better and cost less anyway), can opt out of these extras and save a buck, hence paying what you would for a 'low-cost' ticket.

These changes are in effect creating a semi-legacy airline and a low-cost airline all operating within the same framework. Pure genious, if you ask me. Yet again one more way that Air Canada is revolutionizing the way people travel. It's good to see that the people actually making the decisions can think outside the box.

Cheers,

8)

Don't like it? Don't read it.
kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

Everyone keeps slamming Air Canada for the fees they impose, the crappy food you have to buy etc. Have you flown Westjet recently? No free head set like Air Canada, you have to buy it. No free movies like Air Canada, you have to pay for them. Crappy food for purchase just like Air Canada. Why is no one berating them? How long do you think it will be before Westjet follows suit with the luggage limit? I bet they wait until the furor subsides and then they will claim they are only following industry trend and have to do something about rising fuel charges.

My favorite comment on here was the one that said they would gladly pay more for their ticket to receive a higher level of service. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. What do you think these fees are? Of course you also have the option of paying more for a "better" class of ticket.

xkbal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xkbal »

twotterflogger wrote:I disagree with you guys...
This might not apply to Tango but more in regards to Air Canada.
I travel to and from work internationaly and work long rotations.... Now when I head out to East Africa, I usually fly with KLM or Ethiopean Airlines, both of whom have an 40-60KG weight limit before going into the ''over-weight, over charge'' bill. However, to connect to these flights from Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal I usually take Air Canada, and get charged up the wazooo for it... Now if other international carriers can give me such a baggage allowance why can't my own National Airline do the same? :?
For what it's worth I believe AC still allows 2 bags at 23 kg each for international or a code share flight connecting to their international flights. I just got in from Scotland last night and travelled AC yeg-lhr then BMI lhr-abz and that's how it worked there and back and I believe that it would be the same for any of the Star Alliance outfits. For what it's worth I've worked months at a time in some interesting places worldwide and never had issues with baggage limits (well not 100% true, I almost always had to pay extra for the toolbox but can't really complain about that)

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

JigglyBus wrote:I personally think all travel should be on a weight basis. It is for cargo.... and people should be no different. It costs airlines money to move weight, and it should cost the consumer.

Why should a 85lb teenager pay as much as a 285lb fast food junkie.

There should be a ~180lb basic, and then every pound over is $X, whether it be luggage or fat ass.

If this was adopted, (although it never would be thanks to human rights lobbyists) ticket prices would greatly decrease for the average sensible consumer.
...or the airlines might hold out selling tickets to lighter passenger in favor of widebodies. Larger people would become higher yielding passengers.

bmc
Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

I figure it's Air Canada's business. They can charge what they want. But when I evaluate the two majors in our country I'll go WJ. The only advantage AC has over WJ is the number of destinations they serve and that difference is shrinking all the time. AC has for years treated it's customers as a nuisance and this is one more example. The woman and I traveled for 2 months on AC's winter getaway passes and we actually counted 2 AC employees who had smiles on their faces and greeted us (both at the check in counter and on the aircraft). It's a company that has it's place and has no need to change so it won't.

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

Low cost airlines in Europe are charging for baggage, aisle seat, window seat, snack, meal, etc. It's not a new concept. Just new to Canada, I guess.

Oil is at $120 a barrel. Two years ago it was around $30. Someone has to pay for that.

bmc
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

WJ has created a bit of a myth about prices. It may be that you can still get deals, but I fly right across canada and back on a fairly regular basis with last minute bookings. WJ is just not cheaper anymore, and I find myself using AC more and more..particularily with the WJ sardine seats.

As to the weasel charges. seems consumers only look at the starting price...$150.00 for example. then add in taxes, fuel surcharges, security fees, airport fees, headset (WJ only),meals, drinks, and now baggage charges, and you have a total cost of usually almost twice as much. as long as the sheep buy into it (pun inteneded) they will keep using this tactic. Kudos to websites like travelocity for giving you the all up price. I would really like to see people surcharged for the "carry on" luggaage that resembles a VW bus.

Personally, I dont care about the smiles, but the corny jokes on Wj are getting a little thin when you travel all the time.

Nothing is going to change until people (like they did to the car rental companies) start to complain that these "surcharges" are a part of business expenses and not revenue sources.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

linecrew wrote:
whiteguy wrote:And no this isn't a AC shenanigan since most of the majors in the US and Europe are doing the same thing.
That's not necessarily true. Was in Europe last year and this is simply not the industry norm. And when I said shenanaingans it was a nice way of saying further bullshit. Enjoy your sub.
Oh well, you were there last year! I guess everything is exactly the same, my mistake. And they're Quiznos. Once again airlines are there to make money. WS charges for services and its called an industry leader with great new ideas. AC does it and its called gouging the customer. Same price for the same services yet AC is still bashed.

anonymity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by anonymity »

Air Canada to charge $25 for second bag; WestJet may follow
Posted: April 25, 2008, 1:06 PM by Scott Deveau
Transportation
WestJet Airlines Ltd. says it too is considering charging passengers for checking a second bag after its larger domestic rival, Air Canada, said it would start doing so this summer on some of its flights in an effort to offset soaring fuel prices.

Air Canada, the country's largest carrier, said Friday it would begin charging $25 to its passengers as of May 15 to check a second bag on flights after July 15 within Canada and the United States, including Hawaii, for Tango and Tango Plus passengers.

"In an environment of record high and unrelenting fuel costs it is more critical than ever that the airline reviews its product offering to ensure it can continue to offer everyday low fares," said Duncan Dee, Air Canada chief administrative officer, announcing the new policy.

Sky high fuel prices have had several other North American carriers adopt a similar fee in recent months, including Continental Airlines, Northwest Airlines, United Airlines, and AirTran Airways.

Low-cost carrier JetBlue Airways said Friday it too would begin charging $20 for a second bag as of June 1.

Others, like American Airlines are considering doing the same.

"This policy change is part of the on-going review of our activities that allow us to keep pace with current industry standards and economic realities, while remaining competitive with our main North American competitors," Mr. Dee said.

Air Canada says only about 20% of Tango and Tango Plus passengers [it's two lowest fare brands] check a second bag.

WestJet is also considering charging for second bag in an effort to offset soaring fuel prices, according to Richard Bartrem, WestJet spokesman, now that the Calgary carrier is in the “minority” of North American carriers who don't.

“We are looking at a variety of measures to mitigate the issue,” he said. “What we are trying to do is balance shareholder value with being able to provide value to the guests.”

For every dollar the price of oil rises, WestJet's bottom line is eroded by $5-million on an annualized basis, Mr. Bartrem said.

The second bag fee is just the latest move for Air Canada to monetize services in its operations that were once given free, including charging for pillows, meals, and other services like seat selection.

Earlier this month, Air Canada said it would implement a new service that would provide meal vouchers, accommodations, and bookings on another carrier to passenger whose flights had been delayed for a significant time for incidents outside of its control, including weather. The so-called "On My Way" service costs either $25 or $35 depending on the length of the flight.

Air Canada said the new baggage policy does not apply to business class customers or those with Elite, Super Elite and Prestige members in addition to Star Alliance Gold and Silver members status.

Scott Deveau

Return to “General Comments”