Cost index

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

NEBOJSA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Cost index

Post by NEBOJSA »

Has Westjet changed their cost index due to higher fuel prices.Southwest is using a cost index of 20 for all off their flights.
Soon it will be faster to take the bus. :lol:

Nesho
---------- ADS -----------

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Cost index

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

Yup. It's been lowered at least twice in the last couple of years. No one figure is used on all WJ flights; it changes by one or two depending on departure airport (fuel price).

Norfolk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Norfolk »

:smt008

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

they were averaging 14 for the flights i did this week and had one as low as 13.

Drinking outside the box.
neophyte
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neophyte »

The CIs did change but it is my understanding that new scale is different from the old one: Old CI of 14 doesn't necessarily equal the new CI of 14. I may be out in left field on this one, it wouldn't be the first time.

Neo OUT

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

The only differences I noticed were the climb and descent targets.

Drinking outside the box.
WJ700
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJ700 »

The memo said it would have an approximate effect of 1.5 minutes added for every 1 hour of flight time. Some of the transition speeds are painful, 255 knots going down, and this week, in a full-800, climbing in to wind, I was at 276 knots... you used to see 310 knots in that scenario before. Anyway, it hurts a pilot's brain to fly so slow, but I'll do it if its saving gas.

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

Just bought something called a "ScanGauge II" that I found on the 'net. For $187.00 (taxes incl), the electronic box and its digital readout will give me the current MPG and a bunch of other crap (fuel remaining, fuel used, some engine error codes, etc). Hoping to find a reduced cost index cruise speed for the Explorer, which I assume will be somewhere in the 90-100 kph range.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

jonny dangerous wrote:Just bought something called a "ScanGauge II" that I found on the 'net. For $187.00 (taxes incl), the electronic box and its digital readout will give me the current MPG and a bunch of other crap (fuel remaining, fuel used, some engine error codes, etc). Hoping to find a reduced cost index cruise speed for the Explorer, which I assume will be somewhere in the 90-100 kph range.
Ya wanna lower your fuel costs? buy a VW TDI... :smt040
I just bought my second.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
skyhigh
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skyhigh »

What did you get? the Jetta? Is it pretty loud being a diesel?

Czar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Czar »

I actually love the way diesel volkswagens sound. OH, and that sweet tourque.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

the 03's (and previous) are louder then the 04 and newer. But neither is loud. Yes it will smoke when cold, and may sound like it's going to explode on those cold mornings, when neither me, nor my car want to go to work, but after a min or 2 it's all good.
I also like driving up mountain roads and being able to accelerate (uphill) in 5th gear. These newer machines are pretty damn fast.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
WJ700
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJ700 »

KAG, can I ask what you paid and what is the MPG or how many kilometers per litre? Just want to do the math on it vs. the fuel savings. I've always bought older cars but with gas shooting it up now it may be worth buying at least one newer one that gets great millage. The sub compacts are a little too tight for a family of four and I can't bring myself to part with the Bengies required for a new Hylander or Camry Hybrid. The TDI may just work for me and I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it.

NEBOJSA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NEBOJSA »

My 98 TDI with 260000km, the average is 5/100km

Nesho

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

Family of four? Did you have another one recently?

Return to “WestJet”