Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
What's the actual story with respect to monocular vision. Can a person with one eye hold a commercial license or not? If so, what is the procedure.
I know in the US you can get what is called a monocular vision waiver. You need a Statement of Demonstrated Ability which says that despite the monocular vision, you have demonstrated the ability to operate an aircraft safely. You can have a commercial license in the US with monocular vision.
Anybody know the story in Canada?
I know you can get a class 3, but can you get a waiver from the Class 1 requirement to hold a commercial license?
I know in the US you can get what is called a monocular vision waiver. You need a Statement of Demonstrated Ability which says that despite the monocular vision, you have demonstrated the ability to operate an aircraft safely. You can have a commercial license in the US with monocular vision.
Anybody know the story in Canada?
I know you can get a class 3, but can you get a waiver from the Class 1 requirement to hold a commercial license?
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
I have heard a rumour from an examiner about a pilot who lost an eye.. got his class 1 med reinstated with an endorsement that he fly two crew only.
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
Was it Ok if the other guy only had one eye as well?
Just kidding. Thanks.
Just kidding. Thanks.
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
Ogee,
with your infinite wisdom, why dont you just look up the medical standards for the issuance of a cat one medical?
with your infinite wisdom, why dont you just look up the medical standards for the issuance of a cat one medical?
-
co-joe
- Rank 11

- Posts: 4819
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
- Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
We're all monocular past about 20'. It's only up close that two eyes give us depth perception. I met a monocular pilot who regained his medical. He did however already have a substantial amount of time in his log book on type and there are stipulations. I believe 2 pilot for IFR but still single pilot for VFR. If you had 200 hours you'd have a tough time getting that first job...
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
Worked with a monocular pilot. He lost his eye when he was 13 from a pellet gun. No problems for him. Does long line mountain rescue. He's one of the best long line pilots i've met. Transport had issue with it, but there are few pilot in canada with one eye. They did send him for a few extra medical test. He had a US license, with an instructor rating and IFR. To your question, Yes you can fly in canada with one eye, with out restriction, if you pass the medical evaluation.
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
Thanks Mole. That's going to be very good news for a friend. Probably still a nightmare of bureaucracy though.
As for you, Strega, you mindless little dipshit, if you read the medical standards, you'd think you could never get a commercial license with one eye. The posts here show everything isn't in the medical standards.
You get your ass kicked around the block in that other thread and now you start following me around. You're going to find that is very counterproductive if you hope to ever regain a shred of credibility on this forum, because I, and I expect a few others, are going to kick your nuts up to your forever flapping gob everytime it opens.
Get the picture.
As for you, Strega, you mindless little dipshit, if you read the medical standards, you'd think you could never get a commercial license with one eye. The posts here show everything isn't in the medical standards.
You get your ass kicked around the block in that other thread and now you start following me around. You're going to find that is very counterproductive if you hope to ever regain a shred of credibility on this forum, because I, and I expect a few others, are going to kick your nuts up to your forever flapping gob everytime it opens.
Get the picture.
-
just curious
- Rank Moderator

- Posts: 3592
- Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:29 am
- Location: The Frozen North
- Contact:
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
We have one guy who lost vision in one eye. Two crew restriction, but we fly two crew anyway.
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
I've flown with said guy.. Great bloody pilot!just curious wrote:We have one guy who lost vision in one eye. Two crew restriction, but we fly two crew anyway.
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
my old medic asked "what if yu are single pilot and you get something in your eye?"
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
sticks and stones....Ogee wrote:Thanks Mole. That's going to be very good news for a friend. Probably still a nightmare of bureaucracy though.
As for you, Strega, you mindless little dipshit, if you read the medical standards, you'd think you could never get a commercial license with one eye. The posts here show everything isn't in the medical standards.
You get your ass kicked around the block in that other thread and now you start following me around. You're going to find that is very counterproductive if you hope to ever regain a shred of credibility on this forum, because I, and I expect a few others, are going to kick your nuts up to your forever flapping gob everytime it opens.
Get the picture.
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
This guy wants to get his commercial helicopter. He's had his private for quite a while, over 300 hours in mostly Jet Rangers, and no problems.
Two crew isn't an option, but I think Mole's story of the longline pilot makes a good argument for him. It probably wouldn't be a big thing for him to go over to the States and get his commercial ticket there through the monocular vision waiver and Statement of Demonstrated Ability route. That would make his case stronger here.
Two crew isn't an option, but I think Mole's story of the longline pilot makes a good argument for him. It probably wouldn't be a big thing for him to go over to the States and get his commercial ticket there through the monocular vision waiver and Statement of Demonstrated Ability route. That would make his case stronger here.
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
Sharon Moon (owner of Aero Academy in London) is a monocular pilot with a Commercial licence.
She has held that status for over 30 years.
Being monocular and holding a commercial licence is nothing new.
She has held that status for over 30 years.
Being monocular and holding a commercial licence is nothing new.
- Siddley Hawker
- Rank 11

- Posts: 3353
- Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:56 pm
- Location: 50.13N 66.17W
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
Mira Slovak did a pretty good job with monocular vision.
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
I became a monocular pilot several years after my PPL.
This info I got from TC Medical Examiners it that I could only get a Cat 1 Medical (Restricted) so that I must fly in the seat with my good eye to the window and I must fly As or With Co-pilot, even though I can fly solo with passengers under my PPL.
I have been making the argument that I should be able to fly single seat in situations without passengers (cargo/ferry flight) or as an instructor of pilots with a PPL. No resolution yet.
This info I got from TC Medical Examiners it that I could only get a Cat 1 Medical (Restricted) so that I must fly in the seat with my good eye to the window and I must fly As or With Co-pilot, even though I can fly solo with passengers under my PPL.
I have been making the argument that I should be able to fly single seat in situations without passengers (cargo/ferry flight) or as an instructor of pilots with a PPL. No resolution yet.
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
I became a monocular pilot several years after my PPL.
This info I got from TC Medical Examiners it that I could only get a Cat 1 Medical (Restricted) so that I must fly in the seat with my good eye to the window and I must fly As or With Co-pilot, even though I can fly solo with passengers under my PPL.
I have been making the argument that I should be able to fly single seat in situations without passengers (cargo/ferry flight) or as an instructor of pilots with a PPL. No resolution yet.
This info I got from TC Medical Examiners it that I could only get a Cat 1 Medical (Restricted) so that I must fly in the seat with my good eye to the window and I must fly As or With Co-pilot, even though I can fly solo with passengers under my PPL.
I have been making the argument that I should be able to fly single seat in situations without passengers (cargo/ferry flight) or as an instructor of pilots with a PPL. No resolution yet.
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
What a ridiculous position. Did you explain to them that you have a "neck" which allows your head to "turn" in order to see out of either window?
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
Reminds me of a guy on my job. During the pre employment eye test he was told put your left hand over your left eye read the chart. Ok. Put your right hand over your right eye read the test. Good.
He put his right hand over his left eye. He was 3 years on the job before management found out. He retired two years ago.
Brilliant.
He put his right hand over his left eye. He was 3 years on the job before management found out. He retired two years ago.
Brilliant.
Re: Monocular Vision...What's the Real Deal
Peripheral vision is a required for the operation of almost every motor vehicle. Usually we turn our neck because of something that caught our eye.






