looking at a new career

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

d3v1l6
Rank 0
Rank 0

looking at a new career

Post by d3v1l6 »

Good day all

I've been lurking through these forums for awhile now, just soaking up some information. I'm 29, with just over tens years in the Canadian Army as a Signals operator (aka Rad op). I'm currently at a crossroad in my career where I can easily go on and retire in 9 years, with plenty more tours in the Stan (i'm on number 3 right now), or get out and find something more stimulating.

Why choose helicopters? Well, my introduction into the world of flying (fixed wing)happened when I was 7. Step-dad had a cherokee 140 and got me hooked right off the bat. At 16 I was flying gliders, 17 got my PPL, both through cadets. at 18 I started working on my CPL, but quit. Why? who knows, maturity, intimidated by costs, having so many fules to follow... There were alot of factors. I eventually joined the army, just for 3 years, to get my priorities straight. Here I am ten years later, still working on it. Anyways, helicopters, they just have more appreal to me now.

So that being said, I've started researching various training establishements in and around Edmonton. I've come to realize that my best bet would probably be to do a full time program somewhere outside Edmonton or even Alberta. Funding is not an issue but I do have some other questions. In no particular order...

As I understand it, the chances of getting a flying job right after training are slim and that a year or 2 of ground crew work is in order. What exactly does that entail? how does that lead to getting more hours in the cockpit?

Camp Work... In a perfect world, I would like stay in Edmonton, my wife has a good job and her family is there. I have no issues with being away from home for weeks or months at a time (as long as its not Afghanistan) and she has grown accustomed to that lifestyle. So, with regards to Camp work, what kind of schedules are the norm? Weeks out/week in, months out/week in, or whole season (months?)... Is it even possible to have this kind of employment living out of Edmonton or Calgary?

Just before I left for Afghanistan, I went to an operator in the Edmonton area with some questions and asked about discovery flights. Got some good info, but I was told discovery rates = charter rates and that it was minimum one hour and was quoted over 900$. Am I wrong in thinking that this quote is somewhat ridicoulous? I realise that helicopters are expensive, but 900$ doesn't seem like the best way to pitch this world to someone that, if interested, might be forking over 55-60K for training.

Finally, I'm interested in getting feed back on any of the training operations going on in the Edmonton area (EZ-Air, Millenia). Can't seem to find much on these forums.

Thanks

Patrick.
---------- ADS -----------

Grantmac
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: looking at a new career

Post by Grantmac »

The CF is screaming for pilots, why not talk to your base BPSO and try that route. Just as an aside, they are now accepting people with V2 vision and laser correction.

Cheers,
Grant

d3v1l6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by d3v1l6 »

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into the canforgens reference the change in vision restrictions for pilots. Definately something to look into, now, if I could only dodge the whole university requirement to be an officer.

Edit:
CANFORGEN 069/08 CAS 014 081205Z APR 08
LASER (EYE) REFRACTIVE SURGERY IN CF AIRCREW

For others that might be interested.

Thomas Magnum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Thomas Magnum »

Last time I checked (a few months ago) the CF has a continuing education plan. It's for experienced civilian pilots and former (and current) members of the forces. You have something like 9 years to get a degree through correspondence. I have a buddy who flies the griffin and he still hasn't got a degree... he joined over eleven years ago. All he had was his fixed wing CPL.

My two cents.

tibor23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tibor23 »

A few years ago on my IAP/BOTP course most of the guys who were going pilot didn't have degrees. They were all under the CEOTP entry plan. About half were straight off civie street and the rest were from the ranks.

Grantmac
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Grantmac »

I'm one of those guys in the ranks without a degree. I'm getting my eyes fixed in less than a month. My vision is the only thing holding me back and I've been waiting for this for some time. I just need stable vision 6 months after the surgery and I can apply for aircrew selection.
Cheers,
Grant

d3v1l6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by d3v1l6 »

Wow, news keeps getting better.
Something else that might open a door for me is the fact that i'll be getting my Sgts soon after this tour. I'm pretty sure I can CFR (commission from the ranks) as a Sgt. Anyways, I won't really know anything for sure until I speak to a BPSO.

tibor23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tibor23 »

You can CFR as a Cpl. And if you have your PLQ you should be able to skip the IAP portion of BOTC or BMOQ (as I think they are calling it now) and just do the 6 week BOTP portion instead of the entire 16 week basic officer training. So even better news for ya! Wow, that too many acronyms for one sentence.

Grantmac
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Grantmac »

I'm an LS (Navy) and I don't think that the CFR route will be very challenging as long as there aren't any other medical or selection hurdles. I'm actually kind of looking forward to getting back into green and tear-assing around the Qc county-side for another 16 weeks.
As for the flying aspect, I'm already a PPL and if the military flying route doesn't pan out for whatever reason then at least I'll get an extra few hours in my logbook and some interesting stories before I go back to my old trade or the officer equivilent. I would be hesitant to leave the Forces entirely but I don't see any risk with trying for a Pilot position while I'm currently enrolled.
Cheers,
Grant

jeta1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jeta1 »

:|

Last edited by jeta1 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abshelvey
Rank 0
Rank 0

nope.

Post by abshelvey »

e:nvm

Return to “Helicopter Forum”