AvCanada has become Useless

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

AvCanada has become Useless

Post by CID »

The usefulness of The AvCanada forums has varied over the years but it seems to have dropped to an all time low. Discussions are faithfully interupted and derailed by a growing group of hostile posters and there's a clear lack of moderation.

Lately there's been a great deal of venom shot my way by the normal group of very insecure posters and I made the mistake of sinking to their level(s). All that accomplished was more polarization as more associated me with these negative comments and further lies and conjecture from the likes of Hedley, twotter and Cat Driver.

The situation has resulted in almost total dysfunction when I participate in discussions. The choice of some posters to reveal their real names has also caused a great deal of trouble. These people, who in my opinion destroy the spirit of anonymous forums cry foul and use words like "lible" when someone opposes their opinions.

Bullying intimidations and threats have become the norm and it's just not fun or interesting anymore. Well, some of you have your wish. I think it's time to move on and spend this little slice of time in my day on more worthwhile endevours. I feel that the more I contribute now the more disruptive it will be for others.

Of course I'll stick around long enough to defend my AvCanada record if I feel the need.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

C23flyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: AvCanada has become Useless

Post by C23flyer »

I'd say something, but I'd just be wrong.
:prayer:

Are we there yet?
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

I personally avoid all the avcanada fighting, it is like pissing into the wind... I also don't seek to defame anyone but I personally witnessed CID punting a small dog recently so he is as bad as they say!

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

....witnessed CID punting a small dog....
Hmm...I would have thought he would be more inclined to punt a Cat..........

Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

mcrit wrote:
....witnessed CID punting a small dog....
Hmm...I would have thought he would be more inclined to punt a Cat..........
Wouldn't a lot of people on here want to punt a Cat? LOL :twisted:

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Disclaimer: The above post was not meant to offend anyone.
Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

When I moved to the US, I registered for another pilot forum that required each member to pay a small fee. They also use the FAA online database to confirm you hold a qualification and your personal info that you submitted was correct, prior to allowing access to even view the forums. The result is a very professional, courteous and valuable resource.

If every new member to Avcanada was required to pay $5 or so, and state their name and employer (with confidentiality) to the moderator, I'm sure that would weed out a lot of negative useless drivel.

Last edited by Ralliart on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Av Canada reminds me of all the small towns I've worked in ... much like everyone else. Middle of BFN ... nothing to do but talk about everyone else. It's the small town BS that drives me insane. Nobody has anything better to do, but talk shit about eachother. Having said that, just like any small town community, there are some fantastic people and tons of great things to be had. Thus AvCanada just needs to be nit picked in order to get what you want from it. No big deal ... some of the BS is entertaining anyways ;)

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Funny how some people can dish it out with the best of them,
but they get a tiny taste of their own medicine, and they run
away? :wink:

I would rue the day that I ever behaved that childishly!

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

A really handy feature of this board are the 'friends and foes' lists.

Find someone you like / dislike.

Click on their profile, which brings up their profile page.

Right under their picture, you see a couple of lines of text - "add friend" and "add foe".

If you add someone to your foes list, all their posts will automatically be hidden.

Like I said, this ends up being a pretty great tool.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

So if I added CID to my 'friend' list (snork), he would be FORCED to read my postings? What a concept.

The problem as I see it is not that there are a few who disrupt but that there is not much participation. At any one time there are numerous 'guests' (welcome, by the way) who remain silent. The forums would improve with more participation. Anyway, with the looming layoff, most posters here will have to get real jobs and won't have time for Avcanada any more.

It says there are 3 registered and three guests on here right now - say something, guests?

I see nothing wrong with the moderation - it is spotty but so what? If you see something that annoys you or a posting from a particular person who annoys you, don't read it. Difficult, eh?

Every one of us is capable of posting nonsense, that's why a free and open forum is essential so that when some drivel is put in print, members have the chance to debunk it before somebody who needs more than the usual help through life believes it. We haven't really adapted to the internet yet, we used to think that whatever appeared in print actually carried more weight than the spoken word. Large parts of This Site, and posters like CID who expect their golden words to be taken as gospel, debunk that myth, but many are incapable of sorting through the chaff of life and accept every missive as the truth.

"Part of your education, my dear."

You cannot, for long, be known safely on the internet lest you be attacked by the spammers, identity-stealers and scum-suckers who prey here. I prefer my anonymity, even though Joe knows who I am. The PM is the process for getting to know us personally.

There are plenty of other places to post on the web, go crazy. Leave this resource alone.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

Ralliart wrote:When I moved to the US, I registered for another pilot forum that required each member to pay a small fee. They also use the FAA online database to confirm you hold a qualification and your personal info that you ...
LOL.. if Cat had to apply through TC to get on this board he would only be able to log in as "guest" :twisted:

A private forum IS a good idea... but you're going to get a much smaller circle of experience as most people will come to a place like this.... for it to be effective you would have to give access to ALL currently licensed people and maybe make the fee beyond that.... I also doubt TC would give out such private information... unless they were getting a cut? :smt008

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Disclaimer: The above post was not meant to offend anyone.
grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

xsbank wrote:So if I added CID to my 'friend' list (snork), he would be FORCED to read my postings? What a concept.

The problem as I see it is not that there are a few who disrupt but that there is not much participation. At any one time there are numerous 'guests' (welcome, by the way) who remain silent. The forums would improve with more participation. Anyway, with the looming layoff, most posters here will have to get real jobs and won't have time for Avcanada any more.
A lot of the time these are registered users who simply haven't logged in. When they log in to post, they show up as their user id.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
fantome
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fantome »

CID says -
Lately there's been a great deal of venom shot my way by the normal group of very insecure posters and I made the mistake of sinking to their level(s). All that accomplished was more polarization as more associated me with these negative comments and further lies and conjecture from the likes of Hedley, twotter and Cat Driver.

And I say give over. Do unto others . . .. live and let live . . .. and from Rudyard "You'll be a man my son."

just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

Hello all, long time no post.
AVCANADA is just another form of media/soapbox. I would never expect people to agree on political agendas from such a wide geography such as Canada. I believe that you all contribute (some more than others) to the discourse on a wide range of subjects in the misc/political debate forum. Unfortunately, some people don't consider that edicate or manners are required simply because they are in front of a keyboard. They probably conduct themselves in the same fashion behind the wheel of their vehicles. It is ok to to disagree, however a little civility, when practiced here, may get you a long way in life. And bullying is bullying - even in cyberspace.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

The testament to the validity and success of Avcanada is that I am posting here.

CID needs to look long and hard into a mirror in my humble opinion.

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

The worlds just going to shit. Between Transport Canada global warming tasers PPC's and now abortions. So either shit or be shit on.

Oh ya and George Bush

On the bright side the riders are in 1st place.

//=S=//

:-)

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Hey DD. Care to put a wager on the Cats/Green Riders game?

I'm thinking something embarrassing on Avcanada for the loser (you) ;)

Game # 20 Saturday July 12: Saskatchewan vs. Hamilton 04:00 PM

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

I am on the verge of agreeing many days :(

If I wanted to see 3 year olds waving their penises around for all to see I'd quit Navcan and go to work at a day care.

Unfortunately I don't have mod rights in all the forums :(

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Would you care to see a 23 year old waving his penis around? :wink:
lilfssister wrote:
If I wanted to see 3 year olds waving their penises around for all to see I'd quit Navcan and go to work at a day care.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

Only if you're special and still in day care.

Return to “The Water Cooler”