Morgentaler Get the Order of Canada??? WTF??

This forum is for non aviation related topics, political debate, random thoughts, and everything else that just doesn't seem to fit in the normal forums. ALL FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Morgentaler Get the Order of Canada??? WTF??

Post by mcrit »

Hi Grimey, I don't put much faith in what the law thinks a human being is. After all, there was a time when the law said that a woman was property and a black man was worth 2/3 of a white man. I suspect they got it wrong this time to. I would be more interested in what the scientific community thinks on the issue.
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 10

Post by grimey »

mcrit wrote:Hi Grimey, I don't put much faith in what the law thinks a human being is. After all, there was a time when the law said that a woman was property and a black man was worth 2/3 of a white man. I suspect they got it wrong this time to. I would be more interested in what the scientific community thinks on the issue.
What is your view on fertility clinics? Assume they don't perform what would typically be thought of as abortions, that they only help people conceive. Do they commit murder when they destroy human embryos that aren't used?

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

grimey, where to "draw the line". I hears ya. I never said I agree, or disagree with abortions. Sometimes they are a good idea. Sometimes they are just an "out". I just don't think Morgentaler rates "up there" with some Canadians who have received the Order of Canada. Way too much controversy in his selection. Try, for example, to find someone willing to debate the appointment of, say a Wayne Gretzky? Or, Roberta Bondar? Glen Gould? Good luck on that. Lets face it, a good many (right or wrong) consider him a murderer. He may not be Paul Bernardo. He sure as hell isn't Mother Theresa.

AUGER9
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AUGER9 »

From the Supreme Court of Canada R. v. Morgentaler
The question is: at what point in the pregnancy does the protection of the foetus become such a pressing and substantial concern as to outweigh the fundamental right of the woman to decide whether or not to carry the foetus to term? At what point does the state's interest in the protection of the foetus become "compelling" and justify state intervention in what is otherwise a matter of purely personal and private concern?

In Roe v. Wade, supra, the United States Supreme Court held that the state's interest became compelling when the foetus became viable, i.e., when it could exist outside the body of the mother. As Miss Wein pointed out, no particular justification was advanced by the Court for the selection of viability as the relevant criterion. The Court expressly avoided the question as to when human life begins. Blackmun J. stated at p. 159:

We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer.
In the early stages the woman's autonomy would be absolute; her decision, reached in consultation with her physician, not to carry the foetus to term would be conclusive. The state would have no business inquiring into her reasons. Her reasons for having an abortion would, however, be the proper subject of inquiry at the later stages of her pregnancy when the state's compelling interest in the protection of the foetus would justify it in prescribing conditions. The precise point in the development of the foetus at which the state's interest in its protection becomes "compelling" I leave to the informed judgment of the legislature which is in a position to receive guidance on the subject from all the relevant disciplines. It seems to me, however, that it might fall somewhere in the second trimester. Indeed, according to Professor Sumner (p. 159), a differential abortion policy with a time limit in the second trimester is already in operation in the United States, Great Britain, France, Italy, Sweden, the Soviet Union, China, India, Japan and most of the countries of Eastern Europe
http://csc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/1988/1 ... s1-30.html

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

Doc wrote:grimey, where to "draw the line". I hears ya. I never said I agree, or disagree with abortions. Sometimes they are a good idea. Sometimes they are just an "out". I just don't think Morgentaler rates "up there" with some Canadians who have received the Order of Canada. Way too much controversy in his selection. Try, for example, to find someone willing to debate the appointment of, say a Wayne Gretzky? Or, Roberta Bondar? Glen Gould? Good luck on that. Lets face it, a good many (right or wrong) consider him a murderer. He may not be Paul Bernardo. He sure as hell isn't Mother Theresa.
Don't get me wrong... while I think it should be legal, I think there are better options in most cases. I don't think it should be used as general form of birth control. But I also don't think I'm qualified to decide what restrictions, if any, should be put on it. And so I fall back on my political views, where I feel that fewer government restrictions are generally a better thing. As far as Morgantaler is concerned, I think there are far better people to use as a symbol of women's rights or the pro-choice side of the abortion debate than him. I do not agree with his getting the Order of Canada, as I made clear in my first post in the thread. At this point, I'm only arguing about whether abortion should be legal or not, and attempting to counter some of the more hysterical arguments from 2R. I don't like Morgantaler, but comparing an abortion clinic to a nazi death camp is a bit extreme.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Don't get me wrong... while I think it should be legal, I think there are better options in most cases. I don't think it should be used as general form of birth control. But I also don't think I'm qualified to decide what restrictions, if any, should be put on it. And so I fall back on my political views, where I feel that fewer government restrictions are generally a better thing. As far as Morgantaler is concerned, I think there are far better people to use as a symbol of women's rights or the pro-choice side of the abortion debate than him. I do not agree with his getting the Order of Canada, as I made clear in my first post in the thread. At this point, I'm only arguing about whether abortion should be legal or not, and attempting to counter some of the more hysterical arguments from 2R. I don't like Morgantaler, but comparing an abortion clinic to a nazi death camp is a bit extreme.[/quote] wrote grimey

My original point was not to try and give a full comparision of the similarities between the two systems of mass murder .Merely to point out that a Human like that man could not be exposed to such brutalities and still retain their compassion and love for their fellow humans.He is not acting out of love for his fellow humans.But as he said "so that the children would not grow up to be criminals".The same arguement used by the eugenics poicies of the Nazies.Ironic eh? so who would say he was not influenced by that experience that shaped his later lifes work.
As to comparing the similarities of the two systems of death and mass murder:
-At the Entrance to most death camps was a sign that read "Freedom through Labour " that was a big fooking lie.
-Most Abortion Clinics have signs that say Womens Health Clinics that is stretch of the truth as they do little for the spirtual and mental health of women forced into such circumstances.They only treat the inconvenience of society in her womb.
Although the timing is different the numbers being killed will eventually catch up to the numbers killed in the death camps.
Doctors have always performed abortions since roman times.It is between the Doctor and patient . It has always been between doctor and patient .Most big cities have always had doctors who would do this procedure to help women.Just like most Doctors will end a patients life when the they have too.It should not be promoted as a lifestyle choice of of convenience.Or made so legitimate that doctors who do not want to kill are faced with career choices .Career choices that a female Doctor friend of mine was faced with when she refused to do anymore non-medical essential DNC's.They transferred her to the VD clinic as a punishment (no that is not where i met her )
It is only a matter of time when the demographic time bomb will kick in and the selfish generation of childless people will find the old folks homes overcrowded and someone will start a suicide center just like the one in Solent Green.

It is ironic that the word Hysterical was used to describe my observations.Hysterical being a misogynistic word to describe the rantings of a woman at certain times of the month.
Thanks for caring enough to have an opinion and sharing your thoughts .As only by listening to all sides will we get it right.And that is why the Judges in the supreme court get the big pay checks as they have to listen to all sides and get it right for our times .

Anyway i stick to my first rabid ranting post "It is a shame his mother did not have an abortion"

fantome
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fantome »

2R reckons -
As only by listening to all sides will we get it right.And that is why the Judges in the supreme court get the big pay checks as they have to listen to all sides and get it right for our times .

And I reckon debates of this kind involving morality will go on forever. Back and forth. Back and forth. It is simply not possible for even the most enlightened minds to come to a consensus. And certainly no judiciary can ever be expected to. The wisdom of Solomon aside.

Anyway i stick to my first rabid ranting post "It is a shame his mother did not have an abortion"

Laugh! Damn near died! 2R, you'd like what Freddy Truman said to a not so quick county player who'd failed to stop a four that went straight and low right to him when that rustic said to Freddie as they walked off for lunch, "Oh ahm sarry Fred. Shoulda kep' legs t'gather." "Nah nah lahd, fookin' muther shoulda."

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

2R wrote:He is not acting out of love for his fellow humans.But as he said "so that the children would not grow up to be criminals".
How many women did he force into his clinics?
The same arguement used by the eugenics poicies of the Nazies.Ironic eh? so who would say he was not influenced by that experience that shaped his later lifes work.
Hitler also built the Autobahn. Shall we tear up the 401?
As to comparing the similarities of the two systems of death and mass murder:
-At the Entrance to most death camps was a sign that read "Freedom through Labour " that was a big fooking lie.
-Most Abortion Clinics have signs that say Womens Health Clinics that is stretch of the truth as they do little for the spirtual and mental health of women forced into such circumstances.They only treat the inconvenience of society in her womb.
I know plenty of women who would disagree with you (and plenty who would agree with you). But this is a ridiculous stretch. Women go to an abortion clinic for one reason: to (shockingly) willingly have an abortion. I'm not sure how many Jews willingly went to Auschwitz because the job opportunities in Warsaw were bad, but I'm fairly certain it was a low number. You can continue to make this comparison all you want, the fact that you don't see that it is totally ridiculous is telling, however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum
Although the timing is different the numbers being killed will eventually catch up to the numbers killed in the death camps. Doctors have always performed abortions since roman times.
Violating the Hippocratic oath you previously stated hinted that they should follow.
It is between the Doctor and patient . It has always been between doctor and patient .Most big cities have always had doctors who would do this procedure to help women.Just like most Doctors will end a patients life when the they have too.It should not be promoted as a lifestyle choice of of convenience.
I must have missed the "come kill your baby now!" posters on the bus last week. Show me one ad advocating abortions.
Or made so legitimate that doctors who do not want to kill are faced with career choices .Career choices that a female Doctor friend of mine was faced with when she refused to do anymore non-medical essential DNC's.They transferred her to the VD clinic as a punishment (no that is not where i met her )
It is only a matter of time when the demographic time bomb will kick in and the selfish generation of childless people will find the old folks homes overcrowded and someone will start a suicide center just like the one in Solent Green.
So one anecdotal case of a doctor being punished for refusing to conduct an abortion makes it a systematic problem? I don't think she should have been punished, but this isn't evidence of anything but incompetence on the part of her superiors.

Sheila
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sheila »

B.C. priest gives back his Order over Morgentaler
'A Terrible Mistake'; Revoke abortion doctor's award, churches say

Katie Rook, National Post, with files from The Telegram

A Catholic priest in British Columbia is returning his Order of Canada after Dr. Henry Morgentaler was named a member, calling the controversial abortion doctor's induction into the Order "a terrible mistake."

Father Lucien Larre, who was inducted into the nation's highest order in 1983 for his work with troubled youth, said in a news release yesterday that he felt "compelled in conscience to return my Order of Canada."

The priest, based in Coquitlam, B. C., said he did not want to show disrespect to the Governor-General or to condemn Dr. Morgentaler, but added, "I believe in my heart that he is horribly wrong and the advisory committee made a terrible mistake."

Reaction yesterday to the announcement that Dr. Morgentaler would be elevated to the Order of Canada was mixed, but Father Larre's response was typical of many who were shocked by the choice.

The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops yesterday decried the naming of Dr. Morgentaler, issuing a terse news release calling it an "inadmissible affront" to Canadians that undermines the significance of the award.

"Far from improving our country, Mr. Morgentaler's actions continue to create controversy and division in our nation," the conference of bishops said.

"In the name of freedom of choice, he has encouraged the development of a culture of death and has thus attacked the most vulnerable, the unborn."

The CCCB joined the Lutheran Church-Canada in denouncing the appointment of Dr. Morgentaler.

Rev. Ralph Mayan, president of LCC, called on the Order of Canada to reconsider its decision.

"Revoking an Order of Canada award is not without precedent," he said.

"[But] Dr. Morgentaler has not yet received the award, and so we believe the committee responsible should reconsider its decision."

Reverend Raymond Roussin, the archbishop of Vancouver, said he was "appalled" by the decision.

Newfoundland Conservative MP Norm Doyle also suggested the Governor-General rescind Dr. Morgentaler's Order because there is not a community consensus that the award is deserved and appropriate.

"Dr. Morgentaler, his contribution has been his fight to legalize abortion, which has really divided the country, so I don't think it's appropriate at all that he be given his Order," said Mr. Doyle, the longtime MP for St. John's East.

"The award is not about causing division, so it's not appropriate that this individual, given the fact that he has created such division in the country, should be given the award."

Mr. Doyle had not polled his constituents on the issue, but believes he speaks on their behalf, he said.

But others applauded the 10-member advisory council for their "brave" decision.

Lois Wilson, a former Senator and first female moderator of United Church of Canada, who was named to the Order of Canada and then promoted as a Companion of the Order, welcomes Dr. Morgentaler's appointment.

"My experience with the Order of Canada is long-standing. They really investigate the person nominated very thoroughly and do the pros and cons. I know several people who were turned down.

"So, I have a great deal of faith in the objectivity of that panel, it's very widely based," she said in an interview yesterday.

"I know and recognize that there are many who think [abortion] is murder and are totally opposed to it, but that should not negate the option of choice for those who take a different view."

Ms. Wilson, 81, recalled how dangerous it once was for women seeking an abortion.

"When I was young -- way back, way back, way back -- I knew women for whom there was no abortion allowed; it was a criminal offence.

"These women took their lives in their hands," she said.

"I think he's done a great service to the women of Canada who are now able to choose. He's given them the option for a safe abortion.

"I really applaud the decision. I think it's very brave of the Order of Canada to do it because they must have known it would bring a huge amount of controversy."

Joyce Hancock, spokeswoman for the Newfoundland and Labrador Feminist Coalition, said she believes Dr. Morgentaler made a very courageous stand in his life to champion women's reproductive rights, and she is pleased with the Governor-General's choice.

"He's an elderly man now, and the Order of Canada is given to people who made significant contributions in their life, and I think it is justly deserved and it's great to see that he will be receiving the award."

Abortion is becoming a non-issue for many Canadians who have grown up with legalized abortion, the morning-after pill and other reproductive options for women, Ms. Hancock said.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=628476

C23flyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by C23flyer »

Father Lucien Larre, who was inducted into the nation's highest order in 1983 for his work with troubled youth, said in a news release yesterday that he felt "compelled in conscience to return my Order of Canada."

The priest, based in Coquitlam, B. C., said he did not want to show disrespect to the Governor-General or to condemn Dr. Morgentaler, but added, "I believe in my heart that he is horribly wrong and the advisory committee made a terrible mistake."

Reaction yesterday to the announcement that Dr. Morgentaler would be elevated to the Order of Canada was mixed, but Father Larre's response was typical of many who were shocked by the choice.

The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops yesterday decried the naming of Dr. Morgentaler, issuing a terse news release calling it an "inadmissible affront" to Canadians that undermines the significance of the award.
Perhaps his good conscience should have led him to give it back when they started outing his colleagues.

Are we there yet?
Dex
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Dex »

2R wrote: It is ironic that the word Hysterical was used to describe my observations.Hysterical being a misogynistic word to describe the rantings of a woman at certain times of the month.
Haven't run into a dictionary which gives the definition of "hysterical" as you've described it above.

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

Dex wrote:
2R wrote: It is ironic that the word Hysterical was used to describe my observations.Hysterical being a misogynistic word to describe the rantings of a woman at certain times of the month.
Haven't run into a dictionary which gives the definition of "hysterical" as you've described it above.
The origin of the word (a few hundred years ago, with the greek root being much older) is essentially as he describes it. Its meaning has been altered over time.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hysterical

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

B.C. priest gives back his Order over Morgentaler
Hm. If I was a member of the Order of Canada, and it
was awarded to a B.C. priest, I would be tempted to
give it back, too. Those dudes have done an awful lot
of bad stuff for a long, long time. I know I wouldn't
leave my kids with them.

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Grimey, that's a good point about the unused embryo's. I had not considered that. My take, (and that's all it is), is that these would not yet be considered humans given that there is no nerual system yet formed. I'm sure that there are others who have a different take (ie, it is a human because it has unique DNA).
I'm not a supporter of completely banning abortion, but I do believe it needs to have some curbs placed on it (just look up 'partial birth abortion' and think about it)

Rank 8

Post by Dex »

grimey wrote:
Dex wrote:
The origin of the word (a few hundred years ago, with the greek root being much older) is essentially as he describes it. Its meaning has been altered over time.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hysterical

Still can't see the "irony", can you?

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

mcrit wrote:Grimey, that's a good point about the unused embryo's. I had not considered that. My take, (and that's all it is), is that these would not yet be considered humans given that there is no nerual system yet formed. I'm sure that there are others who have a different take (ie, it is a human because it has unique DNA).
I'm not a supporter of completely banning abortion, but I do believe it needs to have some curbs placed on it (just look up 'partial birth abortion' and think about it)
You'll find few if any doctors willing to perform a 3rd trimester abortion in Canada. In Ottawa, for instance, the hospital won't typically perform one after 19 weeks, the Morgentaler clinic won't go past 17 weeks. The hospital would likely make exceptions for health reasons, but that has always been the case and I doubt there are many who would object to having on performed in order to save the mother's life.

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

I'm with you when you say that there is nothing wrong with doing an abortion to save the mother's life, and I'm sure that few doctors would do a late term abortion. My main concern is that there is nothing in Canadian law that prevents it.

Rank 2

Post by paralyzer »

Dust Devil wrote:I think the fact that this is still such a divisive issue in this country should have prevented him receiving the order.

But anyway I'll take a bite out of the abortion argument. My wife miscarried last year (actually on the 8th of July 2007) after 3 months of pregnancy. If some son of a bitch had walked up to me and said "what's the big deal it wasn't a real baby" I'd be in jail for killing the asshole. The fetus is close enough to a baby for me. To say to fathers out there that their opinion is irrelevant because it's not their body is bullshit. It shows another reason the feminist movement has gone far beyond equality. To tell fathers they are nothing but sperm donors is obscene. The worst part is when you see Fathers accepting this bullshit. Any man who accepts that argument is not a man.

Cat - What is going through the mind of a man at the time he is letting one go is not the measure of the man. It's what he does after the fact that counts.

Anyway the Order of Canada is a worthless award. It's mass produced and given to damn near anyone who wants one.
I agree with Dust Devil's comments. I said the same thing about
the feminists. They are responsible for the damages made to the
traditional family and its values. Years ago, men and women knew
their roles and the family had stabilty.The feminists from the
60s wanted radical changes and accused the homemakers of being
parasites.Women began to leave home and surrendered their children
to the government(day care). Now parents have little authority left
over their own children. The educational system is brainwashing them
to think like the feminists.The feminists brought about role confusion
because they wanted the man to change diapers and be the homemaker
while the women went out to pursue her unfulfilled dreams, which sounds
to me like they were abandoning their role. Feminism has its roots in
Marxism and feminists have been passing the soviet constitution
on to the unsuspecting public through the women rights movement,one of
which is the right over their own bodies.(abortion,same sex marriages
because they defended gay rights and many of them were lesbians, but
they use other events to mask their real agenda to legitimize
themselves. If anyone out there wants to seek the truth read the
UN document agenda 21 and you'll find alot of women's rights being pushed.
Some of it is legit, but you'll see that it is power driven feminst
greed.I believe they are even responsible for the controlling the
use of language.Government officials have to respect gender neutrality
or they could get fired.e.g. addressing an assembly,"ladies and gentlemen"
is not permissible.

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

mcrit wrote:I'm with you when you say that there is nothing wrong with doing an abortion to save the mother's life, and I'm sure that few doctors would do a late term abortion. My main concern is that there is nothing in Canadian law that prevents it.
And I agree with that, but if there arn't any doctors willing to do the procedure, then it's a moot point for the time being. That doesn't mean that parliament shouldn't have some say in the matter, but it's not exactly an urgent case. If there were several cases of women having late term abortions simply because they didn't want to have a baby, I have no doubt it'd be actioned very quickly by either the party in power or an opposition party, depending on who was in power at the time. And polls seem to indicate that most Canadians would be in favor of some restrictions being placed on late term abortions.

But just to be clear: I very much don't favor abortion as a form of birth control, but I fear than any laws against early term abortions would do more far harm than good.

And Dust Devil: there's a huge difference between allowing a woman or a family to make a decision, and making light of their suffering after something has been thrust upon them. Any asshole joking about someone's miscarriage deserves whatever hell you give them, but that doesn't mean that you and your wife shouldn't be able to make a decision for yourselves in the future, whatever that decision may be.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

I would bet he has made more money in his clinics today than you will make today ???

Return to “The Water Cooler”