AC888

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

AC888

Post by Bede »

Any details on AC888 last night YOW-LHR? My mom was on board and she said they lost an engine somewhere over the Atlantic and returned to St. John's.
---------- ADS -----------

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: AC888

Post by whiteguy »

Bede wrote:Any details on AC888 last night YOW-LHR? My mom was on board and she said they lost an engine somewhere over the Atlantic and returned to St. John's.
What more details do you need?

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/applicatio ... osition=15
Date: 2008/08/25
Further Action Required: Yes
O.P.I.: Maintenance & Manufacturing
Narrative: ACA888, Boeing 767-375, enroute from Ottawa (CYOW) to London (EGLL), declared pan pan pan due to the loss of oil pressure in the right engine. The pilot originally requested and was cleared to Gander (CYQX), but shortly afterward changed the destination to St. John’s (CYYT). The aircraft landed without incident at 04:05Z.

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

It turns out they first lost all oil quantity, which of course is then followed by a loss of oil pressure.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I was told they shut off all cabin lights. Is that something in the 67 QRH? Also they powered back the good engine and their original 50 min to YYT ended up 2 hrs. That's what I was told anyways.

MFranks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MFranks »

I was on board the plane and it was incredibly traumatic. The power went off in the cabin suddenly and you felt the plane slow down quickly. The captain then came on in a very jittery voice and said we had a power problem and were returning to Gander - he said we would be there in 15 minutes which was clearly wrong given our position. He said they were leaving the lights off in the cabin to preserve power. The captain's communications contributed directly to the sense of panic in the cabin and for the next 20 minutes until the lights were back on properly we genuinely feared for our lives. We have been offered $100 by Air Canada which I feel is derisory given the trauma involved - can anyone advise if this is reasonable?

buss
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by buss »

I also was on the flight. The captain sounded like he was sobbing. How much money do you guys think this is worth?

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

buss wrote:I also was on the flight. The captain sounded like he was sobbing. How much money do you guys think this is worth?

Did you land safely? ...................Perhaps you should be asking yourself, how much that is worth.

Standby for new atis message
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Jaques Strappe wrote:
buss wrote:I also was on the flight. The captain sounded like he was sobbing. How much money do you guys think this is worth?

Did you land safely? ...................Perhaps you should be asking yourself, how much that is worth.
Well said.

Coast-dog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coast-dog »

Um, hello?! Pilots are human, too! If the Capt. didn't give a sh*t he wouldn't have made an announcement.

The simple fact is that you, as a passenger, didn't know what exactly was going on.

You paid money to Air Canada to get you from A to B safely. Unfortunately in this case, you returned to A...

...SAFEFLY.

I've had to make a similar type of announcement. The situation was not an emergency, but when you're busy up front IN THE COCKPIT, the pressure is on and your voice SOUNDS STRESSED.

Now you have the nerve to come on here and bitch about the Captain sounding upset over the public address system?!

Get over yourself.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." - Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
buss
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by buss »

I was kidding. Like come on people.
I was referring to the post previous to mine. Some people see dollar signs in everything.
I will admit my voice has wavered under stressful situations

It's about time
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by It's about time »

MFranks wrote:I was on board the plane and it was incredibly traumatic. The power went off in the cabin suddenly and you felt the plane slow down quickly. The captain then came on in a very jittery voice and said we had a power problem and were returning to Gander - he said we would be there in 15 minutes which was clearly wrong given our position. He said they were leaving the lights off in the cabin to preserve power. The captain's communications contributed directly to the sense of panic in the cabin and for the next 20 minutes until the lights were back on properly we genuinely feared for our lives. We have been offered $100 by Air Canada which I feel is derisory given the trauma involved - can anyone advise if this is reasonable?
Hmmm, you lost an engine (SH*T happens but the odds are still well stacked in your favour)
Captain and crew get busy securing airplane and managing power distribution - PRIORITY NUMBER 1 !
Captain takes some of his precious time to make a hurried "jittery" PA. We can practice a PA like this but until the situation happens you really don't know how it will sound.
Due to a whole slew of other factors and variables that the crew does not have time to relate to you the plane lands later than orginally mentioned.
You SAFETLY get off the plane get on the internet and have the nerve to criticize and chastize the crews action.

Take your $100, buy a rowboat in YYT and start rowing to London.

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

It's about time wrote:
MFranks wrote:Hmmm, you lost an engine (SH*T happens but the odds are still well stacked in your favour)
Captain and crew get busy securing airplane and managing power distribution - PRIORITY NUMBER 1 !
Captain takes some of his precious time to make a hurried "jittery" PA. We can practice a PA like this but until the situation happens you really don't know how it will sound.
Due to a whole slew of other factors and variables that the crew does not have time to relate to you the plane lands later than orginally mentioned.
You SAFETLY get off the plane get on the internet and have the nerve to criticize and chastize the crews action.

Take your $100, buy a rowboat in YYT and start rowing to London.
Good post..

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Hey MFranks

Mood lighting: $0
Jittery PA: $0
Safe landing after engine failure over the north atlantic at night: for you? $100 for most...priceless

Hoov
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hoov »

MFranks wrote:I was on board the plane and it was incredibly traumatic. The power went off in the cabin suddenly and you felt the plane slow down quickly. The captain then came on in a very jittery voice and said we had a power problem and were returning to Gander - he said we would be there in 15 minutes which was clearly wrong given our position. He said they were leaving the lights off in the cabin to preserve power. The captain's communications contributed directly to the sense of panic in the cabin and for the next 20 minutes until the lights were back on properly we genuinely feared for our lives. We have been offered $100 by Air Canada which I feel is derisory given the trauma involved - can anyone advise if this is reasonable?
Dont give up the good fight, I am thinking maybe....13 million. That may seem inflated but this saturdays 649 is over ten million and the winner doesnt have to go through that.

I carry my crucifix
Under my deathlist
Forward my mail to me in hell
Liars and the martyrs
Lost faith in The Father
Long lost in the wishing well

Wild side
buss
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by buss »

How hot was the coffee?
Oh and how ugly was the SD that should be worth something.
Talk it over with your lawyer they will have some wonderful insight. Good luck with the lottery AH.

E-Flyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by E-Flyer »

Rockie wrote:
Jaques Strappe wrote:

Well said.

2nd

Soixante-Neuf
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Soixante-Neuf »

Last edited by Soixante-Neuf on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEBOJSA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NEBOJSA »

I allways say ...As long they get me from A to B in this case somewhere between A and B without killing me the pilots did their job.It is not easy to land a plane off that size with one engine.
Great job :prayer:

Nebojsa

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

In the old days, when a man looses an engine on a SINGLE engine plane, he finds a landing spot and lands or he crashes and burns WHATEVER ! Today, we have airline pilots who cant even tie their shoes right ( Air France overrun at CYYZ) A large twin CLIMBS well on a single engine !
The level of ego and incompetence still outweighs all comprehension in my books !!!

Return to “Air Canada”