ZOOM 767-300ER seised in YYC today

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

YYCcrew
Rank 3
Rank 3

ZOOM 767-300ER seised in YYC today

Post by YYCcrew »

The leasing company painted over the reg number moments after it pulled into the gate!!!! its now parked on the ramp.... anyone know any details? Not sure exactly which 67 it was, either ZUM or ZMM
---------- ADS -----------

Gear Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: ZOOM 767-300ER seised in YYC today

Post by Gear Up »

Heard they went into bankruptcy protection. That's the rumour anyway.

GU

Anti-Ice
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anti-Ice »

Whoa, that's crazy! :shock:

Kelowna Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Kelowna Pilot »

So did like this tow-truck rapidy pull up, hitch the thing up and then tow'er away with the car alarm blaring...

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rotten Apple #1 »

When I taxied in to the YYC apron tonight as WJ 521 (9:05 pm local), I believe it was a Jazz pilot that asked on frequency if the rumour was true about Zoom. The controller responded that he hadn't heard anything.

When I taxied out as WJ 647, I saw that a CYYC airport authority pickup was parked just in front of the ground handler's stair-truck by the forward entrance door. More importantly was the front end loader parked 5 feet in front of the #1 engine.

Carson (and all my former colleagues) if you read this I hope all works out well (!)

John

v6g
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by v6g »

Interesting that they're the first one to go in that market. No exposure to business traveller market, mostly economy/leisure family travellers between the UK (most rocky european economy at the moment) and Canada. Also a more recent startup so may not have the sway of the big boys when it comes to fuel hedging. Fairly saturated market too.

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

News this morning saying that they YYC airport Approx. $400k, the fuel company refused to fill the a/c because they were owed to much $$ and the a/c was seized by the leasing company. Pax to that they could go on Saturday's flight but no company officals responded to request for an interview. Sad to say but my guess is gone.

Flightlevels
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Flightlevels »

do the guys have company email there? ie: joeblow@zoom.ca

pm me pls

WJ700
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJ700 »

One of the Zoom Captain's was a regular jumpseater from YVR-YEG.... great guy, loved the job, it's much harder to read when you can put faces (and their families) to the news.

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

I'd say SunWing just found a ready supply of experienced guys for their recently announced expansion plans.

Rotten Apple #1
Rank 8
Rank 8

And NewAir...

buss
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by buss »

My God guys I'm sorry.

For those of you who have gone the worldways, C-3 route I really feel your pain. Believe me most canadian pilots will feel your pain. We have been there.

Good luck.

ps. for you fools who have never been there keep it to yourselves

Last edited by buss on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacTarmac
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MacTarmac »

too bad !

there are far more involved than just pilots and fa's in an opperation like that and i feel for them all.

good luck guys, keep your heads up .

regards

Dc9r2757
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dc9r2757 »

Hey Gang,

Thank you for the thoughts. All staff are now home and out on the hunt. By the sound of things it's all done. No inflight restart page to be found in the QRH.

Catch ya on the flip side.

JC

Thanks J, I'll try calling in the next day or so.

disco
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by disco »

Hey JC,

I feel terrible for you guys. It was the one airline I worked for where I felt respected and appreciated. Best of luck with everything. If this is the JC I think it is, we flew together and had great times....PM me if you like (I left for AC couple yrs ago)

Really sucks!

Cobra64
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cobra64 »

So what happens to the machine now? Does it just sit on the ramp until the leasing company signs it to a new leaser (right word??).

THEICEMAN
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by THEICEMAN »

I love the comments behind this picture of 763 C-GZNC in yyz.

"Parked on the FedEx ramp with a snow-plough behind it to stop it from going antwhere."

They should have just put the denver boot on the nose gear instead :?:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Zoom-Air ... id=1394616

Asking a pilot about what he thinks of Transport Canada, is like asking a fire hydrant what does he think about dogs.
captbm
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by captbm »

The 75 parked up in GLA (EGPF) was no longer boxed in by the snowplough today. But still in the same psn behind the twr.

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

I'm pretty sure I saw a Zoom aircraft parked on the ramp in Miami a few days ago as I was driving by.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Zoom Airlines Pre-Bankruptcy Money Transfers Probed by Trustee
By Joe Schneider

Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Zoom Airlines, the closely held Canadian carrier that declared bankruptcy in August, is being probed because of transactions valued at more than C$27 million ($25 million) during the past three years, court records show.

Doyle Salewski Inc., the trustee overseeing the bankruptcy, is ``reviewing these transactions to determine if they were a breach of the fiduciary responsibilities of the directors,'' Paul Salewski, the trustee's vice president, said yesterday in a report to Ontario Superior Court of Justice. ``These reviews are at a preliminary stage.''

Zoom redeemed C$6.1 million of preferred shares from co- founder Hugh Boyle, forgave a C$6 million debt to Go Travel Direct, a Quebec-based travel agency Boyle had set up, and acquired C$14.8 million of preferred shares in Go Travel, according to the report.

Doyle Salewski wrote Go Travel and Boyle demanding repayment of the money, Salewski said in the report.

Boyle said today he was unaware of the report and hadn't received the demand letter from the trustee. He said he would comment after he had read the documents.

Zoom, based in Ottawa and Glasgow, Scotland, ceased operations Aug. 28, blaming high fuel costs and an inability to obtain new financing.

The flight cancellations came without warning and left hundreds of passengers stranded on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean with little time to make alternate plans.

The airline owes about C$200,000 in unpaid wages to its employees, according to the trustee's report. Zoom had 710 employees in Canada and the U.K.

The case is In the matter of the Bankruptcy of Zoom Airlines Inc., CV-08-7752, Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Toronto)..

To contact the reporter on this story: Joe Schneider in Toronto at jschneider5@bloomberg.net.

Drinking outside the box.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”