Recruiting process for ATC

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Recruiting process for ATC

Post by NJ »

Well it still is there, but the classes aren't in Cornwall anymore. The classes are done now in regional centres, like Toronto, Montreal etc. So you have to pay tuition AND housing costs.
---------- ADS -----------

davidv

Post by davidv »

//

Last edited by davidv on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

Just did the assessment. All I can say is that the portion were you listen to the recordings is ridiculously hard. Also 18th century Latin words are for some reason tested, i think the only one I have even heard before was exacerbate. other then that pretty straight forward test you just never have enough time.

Pilot: '...Tower, please call me a fuel truck.' Tower: 'Roger. You are a fuel truck.'
doworkson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by doworkson »

Latin?! I think I'd have some trouble with that too! Was the rest of the assessment more of a general IQ test (verbal, math, spatial, logic, etc)?

I'll be writing on the 17th, my prep has basically been going over some IQ and mental math tests online just to pick up my speed a bit. Did you do any prep that you found was useful?

PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

I tried some prep stuff but it did not really help, most of the stuff was general aptitude. Mabey figuring out a good way to short hand phone messages may be worth while, it was SUPER difficult. 5 v/m's very long very detailed with equally detailed questions. write everthing!!

The first test is not multiple choice so you cant bull crap your way through it very random stuff too so I cant really tell you whats on it although for the multiple choice scantrons I suggest immediatly guessing the last 5-10 answers because even though I thought I was fast I was only able to complete two of the scantrons in the 7 mins. That system worked well for me I think.

Good luck,

scrambled_legs
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by scrambled_legs »

Be careful with the guessing, it may be negative scoring. It might be better to leave it blank then guess, something to ask the examiner before hand although I'm not sure he'll answer that.

buggy_boy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by buggy_boy »

I too completed the Toronto Assessment on November 7th. There are no penalties for wrong answers. One thing i can suggest:

for the tests that require you to put things in order (converting symbols to numbers, arranging the storyboard/comic things etc) you should be able to look at the answers and pick the right one without putting the entire thing in order (for example 5 things to put in order and if you know that the order starts with 3 4 2 then look at the answers and find the one that is 3 4 2 X X). Most of the time there is only 1 or maybe 2 answers that might begin with the 3 4 2. This can save you valuable seconds and might allow you to finish a few more questions than you might have otherwise been able to do.

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

I do the test on Nov 13th in Edmonton.

Please explain the latin stuff? How many questions and what is that all about?

Thank you

buggy_boy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by buggy_boy »

There isn't really anything testing your Latin, but rather you are given a word and must pick the answer that means the same thing. For example if the word they give you is feline, then the answer would be cat.

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

Thanks buggy boy! Was there world history on your exam? What type of questions?

Thanks again

buggy_boy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by buggy_boy »

In terms of world history, it was more of general knowledge with some history questions thrown in. ie. Who invented the telephone? What continent is some country in? Nothing overly difficult

CJM
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CJM »

Any other details about the test is appreciated if anyones willing to share.

buggy_boy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by buggy_boy »

Aside from giving away any answers I can remember (which I don't think would benefit anybody anyways :D) I will say that the seven minutes given for each section goes by quickly so if you are stuck on a certain question, just skip it (or guess at the answer if time is really limited as wrong answers are not penalized). Also remember that for each section the questions usually get progressively more difficult and you'll spend more time on these questions than the easier ones. They told us repeatedly that they don't expect you to finish all the questions in time, but some sections are do-able within the alotted time (I think I finished two or three sections with time to spare, and on others I think i finished 80-90% of the questions). There is one auditory test that i think someone already mentioned, and it does require you to write quickly and understand what you're writing (so make sure your shorthand is clear).

the_professor
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by the_professor »

Last edited by the_professor on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Czar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Czar »

:shock:

Wasn't the whole of point for regional training to improve the success rate?!?!

Is there any ACC that consistently has above average checkout rates?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

YUL has been doing pretty good from what I know.

PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

Last edited by PartsPilot on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pilot: '...Tower, please call me a fuel truck.' Tower: 'Roger. You are a fuel truck.'
Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

PartsPilot wrote:As far as pass rate is concerned, and this is first hand info from a cousin that is a training controller. Winnipeg is by far the worst pass rate but its about 20% and apparently it is because the controllers really like their overtime and are therefore motivated not to pass too much.
Right, I am getting sick of reading/seeing that bullshit. Ask your cousin to come and talk to me face to face as to just what is going on regarding training in Winnipeg....see if he will be as insulting to somebody's face who has worked their ass off over the past 3 summers. As your cousin is in training at the moment, I am sure they have an intimate knowledge of the training system and the history of it. Every single OJI I know does their utmost to get a licence out of every single trainee. If it's about protecting overtime and cash, why would ANY licenced controller "risk" their livelihood by agreeing to train someone in live traffic under their licence?

The reason for my reply? As I said, I keep seeing this crap, and it's getting old.

PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

Ok, fair enough i am not in Winnipeg so its all hearsay. So why the difference in pass rates between centers?

buggy_boy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by buggy_boy »

PartsPilot wrote:
well it will be 2 weeks tomorrow from the date that I took the assessment, has anyone else from that session received their results?

-Cheers
I too am still waiting for my results.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”