westjet to yzf

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: westjet to yzf

Post by just curious »

A decade from now, I can see Buffalo Joe rumbling across the terminal floor shaking his green-painted walker at the crowds, and yelling "Stupid bastards! I told you turbines were just a fad!" At least then all the airline pilots in the Arctic'll be able to wear leather jackets to work.
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Buffalo has quite the collection of turbine aircraft now. And I believe some 7F pilots and 5T pilots have leather jackets.

Hoov
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hoov »

pelmet wrote:Buffalo has quite the collection of turbine aircraft now. And I believe some 7F pilots and 5T pilots have leather jackets.
Do they have more than the 2 lockheed's? If not I wouldnt call that much of a collection.

I carry my crucifix
Under my deathlist
Forward my mail to me in hell
Liars and the martyrs
Lost faith in The Father
Long lost in the wishing well

Wild side
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

King Air's I believe. But that could have changed.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

YOWTXR wrote:HMMMMMMM....This is a little too convinient. WJ pulling on up in YZF, and now rumours circulating of Canadian North's economic woes. Coincidence??

I think we're all open to speculation on this one.

YOWTXR-

I'm open to your speculation on this one, since you failed to expand on wtf you actually mean by the above statement. What's your conspiracy? Westjet is able to destroy a competitor merely by announcing a new destination? Westjet doesn't even need to fly there to compete?!!! WOW! LOL! :roll: :lol: Am I the only one who thinks this is the funniest post in a long time? :lol:

Drinking outside the box.
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Four1oh wrote:
YOWTXR wrote:HMMMMMMM....This is a little too convinient. WJ pulling on up in YZF, and now rumours circulating of Canadian North's economic woes. Coincidence??

I think we're all open to speculation on this one.

YOWTXR-

I'm open to your speculation on this one, since you failed to expand on wtf you actually mean by the above statement. What's your conspiracy? Westjet is able to destroy a competitor merely by announcing a new destination? Westjet doesn't even need to fly there to compete?!!! WOW! LOL! :roll: :lol: Am I the only one who thinks this is the funniest post in a long time? :lol:
As he's typing he's hearing a voice in his head yelling at him. It's the only way I can reason through it.

Fatass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fatass »

loopy wrote:I hear Jazz is pulling out of YZF. I think WJ is just filling the void. Nobody goes north of there excepy CN and FA.
Is there any truth to the Jazz pulling out of YZF rumour?
Any links to press releases would be appreciated.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Fatass wrote: Is there any truth to the Jazz pulling out of YZF rumour?
Any links to press releases would be appreciated.
Think it's just a rumour since their loads look decent, but tomorrow could be a problem for the RJ since it's -41 right now. What's the cutoff again, -35 or -40?

Fatass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fatass »

-40 seems to be the cutoff

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by swordfish »

It's -40. The RJ took a hit last winter leaving many passengers scrambling for alternatives. We had many consecutive days at/below 40 and there were no RJ flights for that time. If my memory serves me correctly, we had almost 2 weeks below 40 at some time of the day.

RatherBeFlyingInCanada
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RatherBeFlyingInCanada »

swordfish wrote:It's -40. The RJ took a hit last winter leaving many passengers scrambling for alternatives. We had many consecutive days at/below 40 and there were no RJ flights for that time. If my memory serves me correctly, we had almost 2 weeks below 40 at some time of the day.
Pile them into a bunch of Navajos. Edmonton to Yellowknife in a PA31 would be a sweet run.

"Keep thy airspeed up, lest the earth come from below and smite thee."
Hoov
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hoov »

RatherBeFlyingInCanada wrote:
swordfish wrote:It's -40. The RJ took a hit last winter leaving many passengers scrambling for alternatives. We had many consecutive days at/below 40 and there were no RJ flights for that time. If my memory serves me correctly, we had almost 2 weeks below 40 at some time of the day.
Pile them into a bunch of Navajos. Edmonton to Yellowknife in a PA31 would be a sweet run.
Haha a sweet run for who?

I carry my crucifix
Under my deathlist
Forward my mail to me in hell
Liars and the martyrs
Lost faith in The Father
Long lost in the wishing well

Wild side
swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by swordfish »

Passengers just LOVE them 'Ho's. We saw that at Buffalo Narrows, then again at Peace Air...

Niteflyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Niteflyer »

Have to weigh in on this one.
It isn't about the cold weather, it isn't about leg length, aircraft type, koolaid, nothing.
People will always buy the cheapest ticket to get to Edmonton.
Period!

M/T
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M/T »

the rj couldn't move it's flaps after leaving the airplane parked outside overnight earlier this week. this is the some of the most consistently cold weather i've seen in yellowknife since i've been up here. i beleive the aircraft was actually parked with the flaps in the t/o config and it did a departure. after not being able to select the flaps up they returned to land at yzf. this is second hand info. anyone verify?

i think some of the problems the rj has with the cold is that the same aircraft that gets parked outside overnight started it's day in the american south or on the east or west coast. lots of moisture is collected on all the moving parts and is now ready to freeze. when compared to FA, their airplanes operate sub zero all day long and stay cold soaked (not cold soak in the wet wing sense but in the entire airframe not fluctuating temperatures every day)

just a hunch though...more fodder for the post

--can someone write a glossary for me? whats 7F and 5T and some more of the avcan jargon hitting the streams here?

M/T
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M/T »

when aircan cancels it's rj flight for three or more days in a row, why can't they quickly send up a larger aircraft twice a week to take care of all the stranded pax. one quick burn up here with an a320 should be able to take the load off and show loyalty to the customers.

ODA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ODA »

How would they load there passengers????

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

M/T wrote:the rj couldn't move it's flaps after leaving the airplane parked outside overnight earlier this week. this is the some of the most consistently cold weather i've seen in yellowknife since i've been up here. i beleive the aircraft was actually parked with the flaps in the t/o config and it did a departure. after not being able to select the flaps up they returned to land at yzf. this is second hand info. anyone verify?

i think some of the problems the rj has with the cold is that the same aircraft that gets parked outside overnight started it's day in the american south or on the east or west coast. lots of moisture is collected on all the moving parts and is now ready to freeze. when compared to FA, their airplanes operate sub zero all day long and stay cold soaked (not cold soak in the wet wing sense but in the entire airframe not fluctuating temperatures every day)

just a hunch though...more fodder for the post

--can someone write a glossary for me? whats 7F and 5T and some more of the avcan jargon hitting the streams here?
The RJ flaps and cold weather don't mix. Jazz has flap problems on a daily basis, especially with the cold weather we are having out west.

Let’s Go Brandon
Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

M/T wrote:

7F = First Air
5T = Canadian North

IATA Airline Codes:

http://www.travel-images.com/airline-codes-ab.html

That list might be a little out of date:
M3 - WestJet - Canada - Twelve 737s serve 11 cities in western Canada
:mrgreen:

Will fix airplanes for food.
kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kevinsky18 »

M/T wrote:when aircan cancels it's rj flight for three or more days in a row, why can't they quickly send up a larger aircraft twice a week to take care of all the stranded pax. one quick burn up here with an a320 should be able to take the load off and show loyalty to the customers.
I would go even further yet. Jazz was booked full last year until these cold whether delays started pissing people off.

It's a long run, certainly longer than YYC - YVR or YYC - YLW and yet I've been on many of those flights in a nice A-320 with DVD player ect.

So why after having a year of experience with the YZF cold and knowing you could fill a A-320 if you had one on the run why on earth not switch perminantly to the A-320 for YZF??

Return to “General Comments”