Photography Questions and Tips

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Photogrpahy Questions and Tips

Post by sky's the limit »

username: wrote:STL,

What program do you use for editing, ei. colour enhancement?

I use Adobe Lightroom for processing. I only ever open Photoshop to size things anymore. LR is VERY easy to use, and very powerful for photo editing, well worth it. V 2.0 is what you want, and it's not expensive compared to PS.

stl
---------- ADS -----------

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

I posted this in the General Forum too, but I thought I'd throw it up here. It is only a sunset shot, but there are a few things going on in this one that some of may want to know about. Just little things which can help get better results.

stl

Attachments
GTL_3006.jpg
GTL_3006.jpg (261.99 KiB) Viewed 33388 times
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

View from the westview ?

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

2R wrote:View from the westview ?
Lol, no... I'm up between PR and Lund, although I don't have as much booze here as the Westview..!

stl

brokenwing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brokenwing »

is that picture taken with a tripod, highish fstop and a lower iso?.... im still trying to figure out taking shots with the sun infront of the camera.

Btw, Thanks a bunch for starting this thread STL.

"I had a pilot's breakfast ... A coffee and a piss followed by a donut and a dump." -D. Elegant
username:
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by username: »

Anyone know if it is possible to do more than 8 sec of exposure on the P80?

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

So,

I've been building a few things around the house lately, had a bit of a band saw accident with my D3....

PS That's between $8000 and $9000 worth of camera/lens, depending on taxes etc.... OUCH!

enbt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by enbt »

sky's the limit wrote:So,

I've been building a few things around the house lately, had a bit of a band saw accident with my D3....

PS That's between $8000 and $9000 worth of camera/lens, depending on taxes etc.... OUCH!
You just wanna switch back to Canon like all the other cool people 8)

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

enbt wrote: You just wanna switch back to Canon like all the other cool people 8)

Haha.... NEVER. Until they make something better

stl

Lommer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Lommer »

STL, how do you store all your pictures? Do you ever delete pictures on the camera (before seeing them at home)? What percentage of pictures do you delete?

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Lommer wrote:STL, how do you store all your pictures? Do you ever delete pictures on the camera (before seeing them at home)? What percentage of pictures do you delete?
Hey Lommer,

I store my photos on a back-up hard drive, as there is nowhere near enough space on my laptop for them all. Some one-day shoots will product 700+ photos.

That leads me to you next question - do I delete in-camera? Sometimes, but rarely. The LCD screen, no matter how good, is not a good indicator of possible keepers or near misses. There are many obvious shots where the focus is missed, like in air-to-air shooting, but I'm usually so busy with so many shots in the camera, that I delete them after they are downloaded. Much easier. I sometimes go back and find some great shots that I missed the first time through a folder, so you just never know. I sold a number of shots this week to a company in the US, and two of them came from original rejects that I looked at again weeks after the fact, and found them to be quite good.

stl

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

sky's the limit wrote:I sold a number of shots this week to a company in the US, and two of them came from original rejects that I looked at again weeks after the fact, and found them to be quite good.

stl
Always wondered how I could go about starting to sell some shots. Kinda at a loss since I have no idea where to even start.

And what's up with the Adobe website...I've tried to buy and download Lightroom some time ago, as well as very recently and it tells me my order was rejected. WTF? Who rejects a paying customer?

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Hi Slats,

Not sure why the Adobe site would be rejecting your order... are you trying download and pay? Is your credit card stolen??? LOL It's worth the wait to get LR though.

As for selling, well, it's not easy to get into that and make any money. I have been very fortunate through my magazine work to get sent out on photo jobs, make contacts, and get my name known a bit. The best thing to do is try to make friends with people who are involved, and SHOW YOUR WORK.... If you have some nice stuff, post it on here for starters, you never know who's looking.

stl

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

sky's the limit wrote:.... If you have some nice stuff, post it on here for starters, you never know who's looking.

stl
Well alright, here goes, be gentle. Here's one of my summer ride at one of my regular summer destinations and one of just the destination. Gotta land there and hang out for a half hour or more at least once a week, sometimes two or three times.....tough life. :wink: This is why I need a better, wider lense.

Attachments
Beaver 2 (Large).jpg
Beaver 2 (Large).jpg (77.41 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
Glacier Lake 2 (Large).jpg
Glacier Lake 2 (Large).jpg (63.07 KiB) Viewed 6497 times
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Hey Slats,

Nice shots. Any luck with the Adobe site yet???

Here's one from this afternoon at my place.

GTL_3184-2.jpg
GTL_3184-2.jpg (275.96 KiB) Viewed 6432 times

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Thought I'd share a recent/current experience with you in regards to selling photography.

Upon my return from Afghanistan, I had a number of photos depicting a company's parts bolted onto helicopters, and in flight over there - they wanted to buy them. Great.

President of the company is first class, but the deal was subsequently passed on the the Marketing guy who, it turns out, is not first class...

I sent a low-res sample package of the photos, water marked of course, for him to choose from. They decided on three shots, and the rate was substantial, so I was quite pleased with the deal.

Issue #1. It's been over a month, and I have yet to receive payment, despite assurances from said marketing guy that it is coming... Fair enough, large companies take time to process these things on occasion.

Issue #2. The largest trade show in the helicopter industry is HAI, this year held in L.A., which I attended. The sale was completed as per my standard contract which is clear on its terms of use, etc. When I arrived at the booth of the company in question, I see my shots looking great on 8ft billboards and in large brochures, great - except there is NO photo credit which is a stipulation in my contract that requires "express written consent" to change. They did not ask for, or receive that consent. The marketing guy, when confronted with this replies "Oh, was that something I missed in the fine print?" You're kidding, right? It's in bold, and underlined, no missing it.

Issue #3. At the end of the show I go back to their booth for a chat about the missing copyright. Once in the booth I notice a 40 inch monitor set up with ALL 19 of my sample photos scrolling through in an endless loop..... You can't be serious? Oh yes, you can. This is theft, end of story. Needless to say I was flabbergasted, and have since been in touch with the President of the company who is livid at this indiscretion. There have been formal letters sent and replied to, and while I'm sure the matter will be resolved to my satisfaction, had I not attended the show, would have never known about the copyright infringements, or the theft of my work.

So, if you are selling photos, BE VERY CAREFUL about who, where, and how you send your work. This isn't the slide era anymore, and I've just learned the hard way that people will abuse your trust, even people in large, well respected companies with good reputations....

Anyway, thought I'd pass that on.

stl

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pika »

I recently came across high dynamic range and was rather impressed with the results of somebody who knows how to use it. Still not sure if it's something I would consider using on a regular basis though.

Infrared also interests me. After doing some poking around on the net I finally tracked down some unexposed developed negatives which should have turned my pocket digicam into an infrared camera when using the negative as a filter. That didn't work so after more poking around I discovered it needs to be a slide film negative. The search continues...

Failing that I think Fuji makes a dedicated IR camera which is on the wish list as well as the Canon EOS 5D mk II. Very high ISO and exceptional low light capability.

You can interpret that however you would like.
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

So,

If anyone has tips on how to make a Hummingbird stay still (without using a staplegun) I'm all ears......

This is what I managed through bribery alone.

GTL_8044-2.jpg
GTL_8044-2.jpg (383.61 KiB) Viewed 6174 times
GTL_8063-2.jpg
GTL_8063-2.jpg (408.23 KiB) Viewed 6173 times

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

stl, those are absolutely phenomenal! I am SO impressed! What focal length & aperture? Let me guess ... you've set up a feeder outside a window with your camera on a tripode, just waiting for the guests?

Having been a very serious amateur photographer years ago using all that good 'chrome film, I am back and starting to dabble with digital photography. I am frequently amazed at the sharpness of these digital images, made even more so by having sat down to watch a couple of my old slide shows a few days ago. And when I say slide shows, I do mean slide shows, complete with the e'graphic projectors (ker chunk, ker chunk) & fade dissolve unit. Remember that? :smt048

I'm attaching a pic of one of Handsome George, one of my frequent visitors (and a whole lot more cooperative than a hummer), but I have to ask you how you are attaching your pics into this forum. This is the best I've managed, and obviously I'm using a different (and less effective) process. How large a file can you insert here? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments
George.jpg
George.jpg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 6146 times
Prairie Chicken
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Hey PC,

I do love a good Rink Necked Pheasant.... I used to hunt those all the time when I lived in Alberta, fantastic birds.

I'm glad you like the hummingbird shots, I'll add a couple more below. They are taken with a 200mm lens, from the minimum focal distance, in this case about a meter and a half. These guys are so small that the pictures are still cropped for size - not much larger than my thumb.

I do miss the old slide projectors, but I never really got into shooting birds/animals before digital, lack of patience and money for film...!

You busted me, the feeder is just outside, but if it means anything I'm shooting from our "nest chair...." I took a fair number of shots sitting out on the deck, as after about 5 mins they don't even care I'm there. The sky is a lousy backdrop though, I prefer the green mix of the trees when shooting down.

stl
GTL_8085-3.jpg
GTL_8085-3.jpg (201.07 KiB) Viewed 6116 times

Attachments
GTL_8092-3.jpg
GTL_8092-3.jpg (428.64 KiB) Viewed 6112 times

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”