Writing th INRAT

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Post Reply
nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Writing th INRAT

Post by nightbird »

hi guys I wanna write my INRAT and I wonder if any of you have taken the Aerocourse and how good is it, if it is of any help for the test or if you know of something better around toronto. Please give me any advise you can on passing the test. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------
 
SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:18 pm
Location: CYVR

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by SkyWolfe »

Aerocourse rocks my socks. It made the INRAT so easy a monkey could write it.

Wolfie
---------- ADS -----------
 
nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by nightbird »

What is the price? I'm reading on the website and I can only see $100 for the registration but what is the full price?
---------- ADS -----------
 
taylor498
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: 59.69N, 80.20W

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by taylor498 »

Not sure what the price is, I can't remember mine. I would imagine it would be comparable to their ATPL/IATRA course cost which is $440. (just a guess)

+1 for SkyWolfe, Aerocourse is the best, made the INRAT very easy to write. Very informative and in-depth. The book for the course is also handy for going back and reviewing all that stuff you might have forgotten.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Colibri
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by Colibri »

Definitely take the Aerocourse. Make sure you pre-study the A.I.M. and the ACWM before the course. Then go and write a couple days after.
---------- ADS -----------
 
MG_
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:41 pm

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by MG_ »

nightbird,

I did an Aerocourse in Toronto in August 2008 and the cost was $500 ($440 for the course and $60 for the book). It's a little pricey but well worth it, I thought. Instructors are awesome and the course is well laid out. The course book is an excellent value and actually covers some of the TC exam questions. Come prepared with a current AIM (studied, of course) and the course book questions completed to the best of your ability.

Is Aerocourse necessary to pass the INRAT? No. The INRAT isn't exactly the demon waiting in the dark that people make it out to be and it can definitely be passed by studying on your own but Aerocourse puts everything into context nicely so that you won't forget it and chances are you will score very well. Be asvised though that the purpose of the course is not so much to teach you the fundamentals of IFR but rather to review all the material, fill in the gaps, and answer the questions you might have before writing the INRAT a couple of days after finishing the course.


There's a ton of information on this forum if you use the Search function.

PM me if you need more specifics, happy to help!
---------- ADS -----------
 
angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: the wet coast

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by angry inch »

I am an average student & have difficulty getting motivated to study.... However, I self studied for a few weeks & scored in the 90's on the INRAT.
Aerocourse is obviously effective, but highly unnecessary & rather expensive....

good luck
---------- ADS -----------
 
jeta1
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:30 am

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by jeta1 »

MG_ wrote:Come prepared with a current AIM
... just one problem...the "current AIM" is an online thing only now, you cant get it as a book anymore. This really sucks on the part of TC ... You cant even buy one! Like many I still have my old AIP all up-to-date to the last mailed amendment. So who the heck is going to print the AIM from back to back? A few companies perhaps, flying schools and clubs - possibly - for reference only because they train pilots. Ten to 20 years ago, 90% of pilots had a very solid knowledge of the AIP sections and where to find stuff etc. Watch out, in the coming years, pilots will gradually forget of the very existence of that document - to the point it will become irrelevant. I wonder how many read AICs and AIP Supplements now - and how many actually know where to find them.
---------- ADS -----------
 
zlin_pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:07 am

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by zlin_pilot »

jeta1 wrote:... just one problem...the "current AIM" is an online thing only now, you cant get it as a book anymore. This really sucks on the part of TC ... You cant even buy one! Like many I still have my old AIP all up-to-date to the last mailed amendment. So who the heck is going to print the AIM from back to back? A few companies perhaps, flying schools and clubs - possibly - for reference only because they train pilots. Ten to 20 years ago, 90% of pilots had a very solid knowledge of the AIP sections and where to find stuff etc. Watch out, in the coming years, pilots will gradually forget of the very existence of that document - to the point it will become irrelevant. I wonder how many read AICs and AIP Supplements now - and how many actually know where to find them.
Hey there,

The AIM does still exist in paper format. I am looking at mine right now. Blue cover and expires in April 2009. Just may have to look a bit harder to find it. On the inside it says please direct your comment, ORDERS, and inquiries to:

The Order Desk
Multimedia Publishing Services
Transport Canada (AARA-MPS)
330 Sparks St.
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N8

telephone: 1-888-830-4911 (in North America).

Hopefully this helps.
---------- ADS -----------
 
zlin_pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:07 am

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by zlin_pilot »

Also try this link. I am not sure what issue they are selling here as it says 2008-2. I would call before ordering.
http://shop.tc.gc.ca/TChtml/ibeCCtpItmD ... item=45453
---------- ADS -----------
 
nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by nightbird »

Hello guys I decided to go to the Aerocourse this weekend based on your comments and I dont regret for a second. The instructor was Mark (don't remember the last name), he is a captain of an A320 in aircanada, lots of experience and great instruction techniques. It was awsome to talk to the people there, we had from bush pilots ( a guy and a girl from manitoba) to prived owners, instructors, test pilots, pretty much everything.

About the AIM I bought mine at buttonville at the store
---------- ADS -----------
 
jeta1
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:30 am

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by jeta1 »

thks zlin... I believe the one you got is the last one to be sent. There will not be a new one in April 2009 (at least that's what the flyer said in the latest safety letter ..
---------- ADS -----------
 
zlin_pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:07 am

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by zlin_pilot »

jeta1 wrote: thks zlin... I believe the one you got is the last one to be sent. There will not be a new one in April 2009 (at least that's what the flyer said in the latest safety letter ..
Thats unfortunate. Paper copies are the way to go! I hope I'll still be able to get the Cat1 medical after staring at the computer screen for countless hours. :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by Hedley »

I first wrote the INRAT quite some time ago, before the
CARs came out. No such thing as GFA, you had to draw
out the front picture yourself from a page of text. I think
I got 94%?

There was no aerocourse back then. Personally, I found
the INRAT more challenging than either of the ATP exams,
which in comparison were a walk in the park.
---------- ADS -----------
 
skymarc
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 283
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:16 pm
Location: FL280

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by skymarc »

That would have been Mark Auerman, great instructor.
I took the Aerocourse in November over a weekend, studied the next week and weekend and wrote the Inrat the following tuesday and passed. great course, I recommend it.

So did you wrote the test?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by Tim »

i agree with you hedley, this is probably the toughest exam you'll have to write and the atpls were a lot easier.

you are not allowed to bring an aim in with you, or any ref for that matter (and according to the ASL they are no longer printing current ones, but you could print it yourself from the webiste...huge waste of paper if you ask me though)

they give you most if not all of the cap gen

if you want to study and like the paper id suggest just printing the rac and met sections. they are the biggies. something which mihgt be more benificial is the instrument procedures manual though. it wraps the rac section, cap gen and nav aid info/theory all into one and i really enjoyed it for studying...well enjoyed isnt the word, but it worked :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gravy
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Victor charlie

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by Gravy »

know your GPS procedures and limitations at least 5 questions on the current exams

Wrote it a couple weeks ago and it wasnt too hard. We are given the aerocourse book and its all I studied besides the CAPGEN and some plates

I wouldnt get too stressed about it. I had more trouble on my PPL written :oops:


good luck
---------- ADS -----------
 
Thats what she said...
User avatar
x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:23 pm
Location: Around

Re: Writing th INRAT

Post by x-wind »

I did not take the Aerocourse. 91% I realized quite a lot about IFR flying from prepping from the test, I wonder how beneficial it is to take a 2 day course that gets your ready for "the exam". I wrote the INRAT before any multi or instrument training and it sincerely helped me accelerate through that training.

If you have the money why not though.. It just wouldn't make me feel comfortable not reading things and considering them closely for myself, alone in a quite room. Perhaps Im stubborn and a little slow though.

The Aerocourse Exam preo book a friend lent me... or I should say I stole (Im sending it back soon) did help me with the SARON today. Not much, but it was a little bit of guidance as to what and how things are asked. Which proved somewhat true. Not a single question on the high level airspace # and rules I had down pat!!

It's probably a personal thing to compare which test is harder the A's or Instrument. I found the instrument a cake walk (maybe because I was looking forward to my first IFR job), but the SARON had me a little nervous. 86% They got me on a few foolish ones like movement vs maneuvering area.

Good luck and be patient and reread all the questions before you walk out, human error is the biggest problem in aviation. Or maybe its just me :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Flight Training”