Airport Identifiers

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MichaelP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1815
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:15 pm
Location: Out

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by MichaelP »

I learned to fly at EGTE...

You can get an excellent meal in L'Escale at LFAT!

I do not see where pie and ice cream is coded in CYCW... unless it's "Complete With"?
---------- ADS -----------
 
beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:34 pm
Location: BC

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by beaverbob »

Actually all aerodromes in Canada were only 3 letter designators untill the early seventies. Then the C was added in front to conform to, I believe, ICAO 4 letter standards.
BB
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Tim »

complete theory here, but maybe the Y means you can get a valid altimeter setting from a twr/fss/unicom guy? i think the CZ means you get wx, but are there any CZ airports that underly low-level controlled airpspace? feel free to prove me wrong :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
 
swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 12:18 am
Location: CYZF

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by swordfish »

Tim wrote:so if YOU'RE too lazy to look it up why isn't it ok for ME to be too lazy to write it?
Good one timmy. Have you ever tried to read some topics on the pPrune board?? It's like reading an A320 FCOM.

ooops, there I go again: flight crew operations manual.

Besides, if I want to go to Sydney, do I type SYD, YQY, YSSY, YSBK, YYJ, CYQY, YSRI, or CYYJ...it's just so precise using aeronautical abbreviators...

Besides, all pilots in Canada should know the identifiers for everywhere in Canada.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 852
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:35 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Lost in Saigon »

Here is some info from years back.... viewtopic.php?t=5204&highlight=airport+codes
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Tim »

swordfish wrote: Besides, all pilots in Canada should know the identifiers for everywhere in Canada.
when i come across one i dont know i look it up if i care. if i dont care i dont look it up. i dont expect anyone to hold my hand if i dont know an identifier and i dont expect them to dumb it down for me either.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Cat Driver »

Sometimes an airport identifier suits far to many pilots, FOOL comes to mind...must be the humidity there.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Cat Driver »

EngineGuy, you are assuming you are communicating with people who understand using logic in their thought process.

When communicating with people who have only a myopic compressed view of the world you have to cut them some slack.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Cat Driver »


I used (TC) as an abbreviation in some of my posts, should I have clarified by saying "Transport Canada" TC......
Logic would dictate that far more people in aviation would be familiar with what TC is than in or near what city, town, reserve the airport identified by CYDF is located. :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 3592
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:29 am
Location: The Frozen North
Contact:

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by just curious »

I'm sorry, did you just use logic and TC in the same sentence? What's going on here?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Cat Driver »

I'm sorry, did you just use logic and TC in the same sentence? What's going on here?
Maybe senility has finally corrupted my thinking process? :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 3592
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:29 am
Location: The Frozen North
Contact:

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by just curious »

So just my question... Yall list airports by there identifiers all the time and do not say the name, do you actually think most people know which airport your talking about.

I only say this because I bet I know less than 10% of the ones people list.
I understand exactly what you mean. Next time yer in CEG4 lemme know, and I'll go over all the identifiers I can.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Cat Driver »

How many of you have been to FOOL?
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Tim: CZBB...Blunder Bay...Class "C" under the CYVR Terminal Class"C"...sorry that's Boundary Bay. How could I ever make that mistake????
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Tim »

EngineGuy wrote:Well it is very easy to look them up as many said here, even google works.... BUT as curious as I am, sometimes there is also a part of me that could not give a poop. The formula goes like this --> 2 Parts curious, 2 parts apethy, and 1 part lazyness. Thats adds up to 3 out of five reasons for not looking it up.
you brought laziness up not me, i just commented on it. your words.
Old Dog Flying wrote:Tim: CZBB...Blunder Bay...Class "C" under the CYVR Terminal Class"C"...sorry that's Boundary Bay. How could I ever make that mistake????
so much for my theory :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
 
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 5627
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Straight outta Dundarave...

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by North Shore »

Besides, if I want to go to Sydney, do I type SYD, YQY, YSSY, YSBK, YYJ, CYQY, YSRI, or CYYJ...it's just so precise using aeronautical abbreviators...
Sydney might well be SYD, YQY,YSSY, YSBK etc.. but Sidney is right next to CYYJ.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Just Duckie
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:35 pm
Location: West of somewhere

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Just Duckie »

[/quote]
Sydney might well be SYD, YQY,YSSY, YSBK etc.. but S[b][u]i[/u][/b]dney is right next to CYYJ.[/quote]


Are you homesick???? because for a guy on holidays, you sure are on here lots!!! :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Tim »

EngineGuy wrote: You see adding an explaination to an airport identifier as dumbing it down and hand holding.
no, as i said before i deem it laziness. i am too lazy to write out the whole thing. you are too lazy to look it up. we are both lazy, but you started bitching.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
VikVaughan
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by VikVaughan »

It would be cool if there were a system like the one on the airliners.net where the forum automatically recognizes identifiers and underlines them. Then when you put your mouse over it, it pops up the name of the airport.
---------- ADS -----------
 
-VV

Jablonski... Noooooooooooooo!
Intentional Left Bank
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:31 am

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by Intentional Left Bank »

EngineGuy wrote:Even the people at TC don't expect that all pilots will know where an airport is just by its identifier...
Excuse me Engineguy, who is "TC"? I don't want to have to look it up. Thx. ILB.
---------- ADS -----------
 
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 am
Location: On final so get off the damn runway!

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by linecrew »

clunckdriver wrote:...Even TC cant get it right, they recently called CYYZ LBPIA in a report, so we have moved CYYZ to Portugal? would be a nicer climate I must admit!

Not sure what you mean...CYYZ is in fact LBPIA.

LBPIA = Lester B. Pearson International Airport.
---------- ADS -----------
 
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by iflyforpie »

ICAO? :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
User avatar
square
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 951
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by square »

Droppin' TLAs, gettin' BOD 8)
---------- ADS -----------
 
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 am
Location: On final so get off the damn runway!

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by linecrew »

clunckdriver wrote:Linecrew, Im sorry but you miss the point, there is NO SUCH AIRPORT as LBPIA, period, TC used the local totally stupid designator on an international document, nobody outside of Toronto has a bloody clue where LPBIA is or was, thats why we have standard ICAO designators, and by the way, most folks dont care where Toronto is, including most Canadians.
Heh heh...right, so you have very strong feelings against using abbreviations of airport names in place of proper ICAO idents, I get it. I doubt whomever wrote the repot you refer to intended LBPIA to be an ident but rather a lazy person at TC that didn't feel like writing out Toronto Lester B. Pearon International Airport...either way there's no excuse for it I guess.

I agree with you that the naming of airports is the most assinine practice out there. Next time I go to YYZ I'm going to call up Malton Tower and when I go to CYUL I'll call up Dorval Tower...I wonder if they will be insulted. Have you seen the name they gave Moose Jaw? It's now called "Moose Jaw/Air Vice Marshal C.M.McEwen SK". Keep that in mind when you see a report for AVMCMMcE. :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:28 pm
Location: CYQB

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by Benwa »

regarding YUL
:oops: I usually call them Dorval Tower... I just can't get it into my head that it's now "Trudeau". I do call it "PET" (fart in english") every now and then though.
---------- ADS -----------
 
--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”