This has to be expensive...C-17 Gear up-Bagram

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ktcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4

This has to be expensive...C-17 Gear up-Bagram

Post by ktcanuck »

Globemaster Lands Gear-Up In Afghanistan

Tue, 03 Feb '09
Second C-17 Landing Incident Since December

Whoops. A C-17 Globemaster III landed gear-up January 30 at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan, though at this point it's not clear whether the accident was due to equipment malfunction or a cockpit management misfire.

The Air Force Times reports the Globemaster's crew was able to exit the plane safely, though the incident did spark a small fire. Predictably, there was significant damage to the plane's belly.

The C-17 was assigned to Charleston AFB in South Carolina. The Friday night incident closed the runway at Bagram, though air operations resumed Saturday.

Air Force investigators are now on scene, to determine what happened.

The mishap marked the second time in as many months a C-17 has experienced difficulties returning to Earth. In December, another Charleston-based Globemaster ran off the runway in Kandahar. There were no injuries in that mishap, either.
---------- ADS -----------

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: This has to be expensive...

Post by MUSKEG »

Watched a program on that aircraft yesterday. They do those steep and hot approaches to limit the amount of time exposed to grenade launches. It's impresive to watch and probably more dramatic to fly. One can picture something going amiss.

Tubthumper
Rank 7
Rank 7

C-17 Gear up

Post by Tubthumper »

:rolleyes:
MG_
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MG_ »

Last edited by MG_ on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epsilon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Epsilon »

I wonder what goes through your mind when you start flaring the plane after a nice textbook approach, only to hear a huge screeching sound and see sparks flying everywhere. ''Hmm, I had the feeling we forgot something...''

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: This has to be expensive...C-17 Gear up-Bagram

Post by 2R »

Warning old joke

You know you have landed gear up, When it takes full power to taxi to the fuel pumps :smt014 :smt014

skycoupe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skycoupe »

I know nothing about the C-17, but the a/c that I fly definitely let me know that I am f**king up if I try to set landing flap, or reduce power .. and the Goodyears aren't hanging in the breeze.
I would think that this bird would have similar "tell the pilot not to be a dumbass" systems

non carborundum illegitemi est
silent_pete
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by silent_pete »

Something to be taken away from this, after shit hits the fan and before you run like hell to get out of the inferno, reach back and make sure the gear handle at least looks likes its in the down position. :twisted:

still jealous though that they get to fly a C-17 and im still in a C-172 :lol:

silent_pete
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by silent_pete »

Watched a program on that aircraft yesterday. They do those steep and hot approaches to limit the amount of time exposed to grenade launches. It's impresive to watch and probably more dramatic to fly. One can picture something going amiss.
I know nothing about the C-17, but the a/c that I fly definitely let me know that I am f**king up if I try to set landing flap, or reduce power .. and the Goodyears aren't hanging in the breeze.
I would think that this bird would have similar "tell the pilot not to be a dumbass" systems
Now again.....I love this site.......just speculating, but maybe because of their steep angel of approach to avoid the grenades, the alarms are going off anyway because the crew has to select flap-beyond-T/O, before selecting the gear down. But just before landing the horns go silent every time...........well until today.

WJflyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJflyer »

They don't know if there was a problem with the landing gear or it was pilot error. But I can tell you this airplane will be repaired and put back into service, as the C-17 has seen mishaps far more severe than this one and are still flying today after repairs. This bird is built tough.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

silent_pete wrote:

still jealous though that they get to fly a C-17 and im still in a C-172 :lol:

Look on the bright side, yours has one more number....

chiefpilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chiefpilot »

Even thought the pictures show the gear hanldle in the "UP" position, this may be a QRH item to return the handle to the "UP or NEUTRAL" postion prior to landing. This would avoid any sudden actions (in an allready faulty system) to extend 1 main gear leg or the nose gear by it's self at the last minute, turning a bad situation into an even worse one. With one main down at the last seconde they could strike a wing tip, or the side with the wheels down would continue to roll while the other side digs in causing the aircraft to turn abruptly (causing all kinds of nasty possibilities) rather than a flat belly slide. So with the gear handle returned to the up position, the aircraft is configured for landing (as best it can be) with no more surprises.

Or, with the emergency gear extention drill, they may have gotten the gear down, so this could be a case of "you ah....hear that?" "Ya...kinda like a grinding noise!"

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I've ridden in a few C-17's. Rode with this Squadron into Iraq. Their was a pretty cute Air(wo)men making sure we were as uncomfortable as possible during our ride. It was the last cute girl I saw in person for five months.

The approach they talk about isn't that exciting, or at least I didn't find it too be.

No idea what the Air Force SOP's are for gear. I'm stuck on shore today, so I'm filling it with AvCanada and posting hot air.

Cheers.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.

Return to “General Comments”