wildcat lockout?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

loctite joe
Rank 0
Rank 0

wildcat lockout?

Post by loctite joe »

I am no lawyer and never did work the YYZ ramp for AC, but heard many times that they are the laziest overpaid bunch.

So if this is true, why wouldn't AC use that illegal strike to get rid of them all and contract out?
---------- ADS -----------

Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

One idea would be that the logistics of trying to do as you mentioned would create alot more havoc and more disruption of service to the customers. I am sure that there is no contract company that could go in and fill in for all of the AC employees on a day or a few days notice, it would take awhile to get geared up for something like that.

I certainly don't support what the AC ramp folks in YYZ did, and I think that if the company thought they could have gotten anything out of the situation they would have tried.

But I think that the company screwed up in their approach to the problem, rather than trying to fire 140 employees in one shot ( which I don't necessarily disagree with), but they didn't anticipate the reaction of the rest of the workers there. They should have put out a memo etc., advising the workers that the previously accepted practice of clocking out your fellow workers would no longer be tolerated, and any further violations would be grounds for dismissal.

The IAM has a reputation for how they handle things that they don't agree with, and I can't say that their views are accepted by the rest of the employees in the company.

It was certainly not very good timing, just coming out of CCAA for this to have happened. Not that any time would be good, but I think that the traveling public will see this as another reason to go to the competition.

IMO

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

This what I hear at the company:

1) The company is planning on spinning off the ramp as a seperate entity under the ACE unbrella. It will contract its services to Air Canada.

2) In the last contract negotiations the union ate their young and elected to go with a B scale, ending the 65K per year ramp job.

3) As with many other departments, you will see buy outs to get rid of dead weight.

Just rumours on the road.

Hun IN the SUN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hun IN the SUN »

Hey jacque

Whats your source on this, I find that hard to believe although im sure its probably for the best
but when does this ever happen

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

Hun

The company ( ACE Holdings ) is presently spinning everything off. Tech ops, or maintenance is being set up as a seperate entity. The airline ( air Canada ) or flight ops is a seperate entity. Jazz is another, and soon handling will be yet another.

Each entity is responsible to ACE for its own bottom line. Each entity with its own structure. For example, Robert Milton is no longer the President of Air Canada. It is now Monte Brewer. Milton is running ACE holdings.

I would not be surprised to see certain departments get sold off. (just my opinion there )

As for the ramp, what I hear is mostly from management pilots so we all take that with a grain of salt however, but talking with the ramp guys has also confirmed a few things.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

AC and Jazz will be going to Jepps soon too. They are getting out of making their own approach plates!

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

Are you sure!!!!

I hope you are right as that whole department has been a thorn in my side for years. I was talking with one of the higher ups about it a few months ago and he said no way, it was here to stay.

His reason was that the company had looked at it and decided that trying to amend publications on the fleet which is always scattered around the globe is too much work. Well sure it is when you have the pilots carring and amending everything.

With WAT charts coming out of the acars and all the approaches loaded in our FMS database, I don't see why we can't pull a plate from the acars, compare it with the database, make sure they agree and do the approach. That way you can amend the entire fleet from one central location.

I hope you are right but I would be very surprised to see it happen.

Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

I can't speak for the mainline, but at Jazz we have been told that Jepp's are coming this spring. This is supposed to be the precursor to having EFB's (Electronic flight bags) installed in the fleet. I haven't heard the time frame for that.

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

Georgian to is giving up on the AC charts, jepps will be there in a month, rumor as well for electronic flight bags beiing looked at....

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

I sure hope you guys are right but I have been hearing that electronic flightbag rumour for years. Like I said, I hope it does happen.

I thought the CCAA process would have been the final nail in pubs department but it just won't die!

thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thrust set »

The electronic flight bag has been looked at by both AC and Jazz with two models currently being tested. As for the rumour of the Chart Department hanging around they are as good as gone. :lol:

from a jazz memo:

It is my pleasure to inform you that on April 10, 2005 Jazz Flight Operations will officially put into use the Jeppesen Route Manual. This change is the culmination of two years of effort by Jazz Flight Operations and the ALPA MEC Air Safety Committee.

- reasons for this change were many. They include:
:electronic charting that can go into use immediately in operations outside the cockpit,

:future electronic charting for our E-Flight Deck/Electronic Flight Bag initiatives, and

:electronic access to charting for off-line operations (immediate website access and printing available).

Return to “Air Canada”