Sky News reports another helicopter ditching

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Sky News reports another helicopter ditching

Post by carholme »

---------- ADS -----------

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Sky News reports another helicopter ditching

Post by sky's the limit »

Just great.... FIngers crossed this one turns out better than NFLD.

stl

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

Not looking too good at the moment. Just watching the supply ship activities and they are recovering bodies.

carholme

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Shit.

Never a good scene, thoughts go out to everyone involved.

stl

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

Eight confirmed dead, search underway for missing:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... tish_Coast

carholme

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

A workboat saw the aircraft hit the water.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... tish_Coast

carholme

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

A chiplight in a heavy helicopter means you are going down NOW.
I never liked being higher than i could jump when a chip light came on when flying offshore.The old heli guys used to take em down to wave tops when they got a light .Why are these modern helicopters staying up so high when they get a light ?????That one in NF was up at 800-900 feet a long way to drop when the box grinds up and seizes solid .the engines may even seperate from the aircraft and these guys are sitting way too high for my comfort level.It is a gearbox failure not an engine failure. Where as in an engine failure you can use the enertia of the blades to start an autorotation.

Why are they so high these days ???It will still fly at fifty feet and if it crashes from fifty feet the survival rate might be better than falling from 800 feet.

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

2R;

If you think a chip light means you are going down now, I suggest you go back to reading your comics and leave the decision making up to the crews who do an excellent job of offshore helicopter flying. You stated previously that you did a lot of back seat riding in the North Sea and your comments verify that.

If you are familiar with the North Sea and the wx conditions, you would know why they elect the altitudes which they operate at.

carholme

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

2R wrote:A chiplight in a heavy helicopter means you are going down NOW.
I never liked being higher than i could jump when a chip light came on when flying offshore.The old heli guys used to take em down to wave tops when they got a light .Why are these modern helicopters staying up so high when they get a light ?????

Why are they so high these days ???It will still fly at fifty feet and if it crashes from fifty feet the survival rate might be better than falling from 800 feet.
2R,

I think you are confusing things somewhat.

As Carholm says, you are pretty far off the mark with your comments about chip lights and heavy helicopters, the certification requirements and flight planning.

stl

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

Talking to the UK today and it looks like they are preparing to recover the aircraft. The crew did manage to get off a brief Mayday, shortly before impact.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... crash.html

carholme

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

carholme wrote:2R;

If you think a chip light means you are going down now, I suggest you go back to reading your comics and leave the decision making up to the crews who do an excellent job of offshore helicopter flying. You stated previously that you did a lot of back seat riding in the North Sea and your comments verify that.

If you are familiar with the North Sea and the wx conditions, you would know why they elect the altitudes which they operate at.

carholme
After the last Chinook went down in the north sea that was the SOP ,put it in the water .do not wait until it has a midair collision like the one that killed 45 people.The thinking that it could just be a faulty guage is flawed and may get you killed.
The guys who where rescued from the last ditching in the brent field of British Airways Helicopters third chinook accident in two years said "the pilot ditched after a chip light"If you are saying the official story is wrong i would like to know your sources.Mine where the guys who actually landed in the water,some of the pax who came back on the Brent rigs after being rescued that is what the pilot told them the reasons for the ditching.
We went on strike to get the chinooks grounded until they got fixed or the oil company found a safer helicoptor.The men refused to fly on those chinooks .
The Prime Minister threatened to have those who refuse to fly on the chinooks with mutiny,but that is another story.
I have been in a helicopter when the pilot choose to continue with all the bells and whistles going off short flight but one of the longest in fear.That helicopter crashed a week later killing seven men.
Anyhoo i am going back to my comics and let you guys debate why a professional pilot would choose to ignore the warning lights and recomended procedures listed in the AFM .It is also being discussed on another helio forum by some with 92 experience pilots .It would seem that it was not a chip light but a oil low pressure warning that required landing immediately according to the excerpt from the AFM posted.

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

2R;

You would have known it was an oil pressure warning indication if you had bothered to read first and comment later.

As far as the Chinooks were concerned, this was very early in the development of the civil version and it was a particular dash number gearbox which was the problem.
You represent the worst kind of expert, reading what you can on forums and thinking you can relay that information with a degree of accuracy. Wrong, it shows clearly how ill informed you are.

Until you have something credible to add to the conversation, I suggest you learn something about offshore helicopter transport. At the moment, your sub par comments are a disgrace to the crew and passengers who lost their lives in the last two events.

carholme

r22captain
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by r22captain »

After the last Chinook went down in the north sea that was the SOP
ok....that's a chinook...nothing to do with a 92 or 332.

The guys who where rescued from the last ditching in the brent field of British Airways Helicopters third chinook accident in two years said "the pilot ditched after a chip light"If you are saying the official story is wrong i would like to know your sources.Mine where the guys who actually landed in the water,some of the pax who came back on the Brent rigs after being rescued that is what the pilot told them the reasons for the ditching.
you're basing this off stories from the workers who said that's what the pilots said.....that's accurate. Plus all your telling is Chinook stories. Nothing related to these current events.

It would seem that it was not a chip light but a oil low pressure warning that required landing immediately according to the excerpt from the AFM posted.
there you go....some facts that we all knew on the first day of the 92 accident. Nothing to do with the latest tragedy.
on a side note...f-off with "assuming the proffesional pilots" screwed up. Maybe the light went out after descending, maybe the gauge read zero but the light was out. Maybe the light was on but the gauge read normal. Let's wait for the investigation. Oh...wait....or were you talking to someone who knew someone who was a friend of the guy that knew a guy.....or were you in the back of that machine with the "bell's and whistle's" going off

give me a break.....

condolences to all involved in this latest tragedy. Here's hoping that's it for 2009, 2010...etc etc.

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Not too long ago some pilots were content to sit wearing oxygen masks with smoke in the cockpit flying along getting ready to cross the Atlantic like nothing was wrong ,no mayday until the flames were licking their arses(Swissair).While the PAX sat blissfully unaware until their fate was sealed.Nowdays the smell of smoke sends a flight to the nearest airport RFN (right fucking now)
Many years ago pilots were content to fly with the hopeful and false assumption the the guage in their twelve million dollar helio was faulty or that it was a false indication and that the bells and whistles installed are just their to fill a hole in the dashboard.
After some horrorific crashes in the North Sea the companies changed what was expected from the crews when faced with alarms.Ignoring them or not following the written emergency response was no longer an option.
Of the two questions that i have asked only one has been answered in an inteligent manner.The crew did the right thing in turning around when they did .But the question about why they continued flight at 800 feet has also been asked on another helio forum and has brought forward some intelligent responses.Some quoting sales brochures making unsubstantiated false claims about thirty minute dry run capabilities that a similar gearbox on a similar helio has .This myth of thirty minutes dry run has been destroyed on another helio site .The CVR may shed some light on the decisions the pilots had made to continue. Thinking they had a thirty minute dry run capability as the old sales myth would had led them to believe.Rather than the imminent doom quickly closing in on them.
The next pilots facing a similar problem may react differently due to this myth being busted.
Many facts come out by the gossip of pilots and if any have taking offence at my gossip i truely apologise as no offense was meant .
Many questions will come out in the scuttlebutt and if answered in a calm and professional manner they will improve the safety .And that is something we can all agree too.

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

Grampian Police report that some of the remaining bodies have been recovered from the crash site.

http://www.grampian.police.uk/NewsItems ... d=30;33;13

Let's hope that the recovery of the aircraft goes well.

carholme

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

They have located recovered the FDR/CVR

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/nor ... 984332.stm

carholme

carholme