Why am I getting such attitude when I call places??

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

A2G
Rank 3
Rank 3

Why am I getting such attitude when I call places??

Post by A2G »

Ok, so another phone call to a company to get some contact info so I can find out who and where to send my resume. But I got some attitude from the guy I talked to. He said he wasn't a pilot, so I don't know his position. But in general, when I'm calling places, everyone, especially the CP always seem like they hate life and everyone else.

The one I called today, I just asked for an email and a fax number to send a resume to, and was given the info. But then I asked how business in general was for them, and the guy was like "what kind of question is that"?. I was kinda shocked, what kind of question is it not?!! I ask so I can have some sort of idea how companies are doing, and what my chances are of getting a job are. But this guy seemed kinda offended. So I told him that I was just curious because in these economic times there are a lot of companies struggling, and I was just curious. He then said that they just hired 2 pilots, and I responded by saying "ok good, that's what I like to hear"!(actually, what I really wanted to hear was that they NEEDED to hire 2 pilots, but ok, already hired 2 is still better than getting rid of 2). But then he played "there's my other line" and hung up.

I'm an honest person, and I believe that all information is good information because knowledge is power. But why do I seem to get attitude from people when all I want is some basic info? I'm polite and non intrusive with my questions.

I would assume anyone with half a brain would understand why someone applying would like to know how business is. Am I missing something?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by A2G on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Why am I getting such attitude when I call places??

Post by Captain X »

Just a personal observation... if the people seem grumpy and pissy probably not a great place to be, although buddy might be having a bad day

dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dannyjet »

I completely agree with you; I don't think it is improper to ask how things are going for them.

Looks like he was having a bad day, like Captain X said. Or maybe its in his nature, which sucks. I dislike when companies are not careful when placing a person with such an attitude at such an important position. It really reflects the company's image and gives the first impression to pilots or others looking for a job.

Westward_Bound
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Westward_Bound »

I've had some CP's with some pretty bad attitude when I've called, I assume due to the number of calls a day they must get.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Welcome to yet another downturn, I sent in my resume to perimeter a long time ago and the C.P at the time was a real ass. I called and told him that I sent my resume and was just making sure he received it and wondering if he had time, that I could come by and chat. He said we're not hiring and slammed the phone down in my ear. Not that it would make it better if it were a low timer, but I had 3500hrs even multi-turbine pic. I couldn't believe it, well thankfully I never had to fly the clapped out metros they're running around with.
You will find now that it's in the employers favor it will be pay back to the pilots for jumping ship when they had the chance.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Cold-calls piss off a lot of people, so you will have to deal with some who have an attitude, but just suck it up and move on. When I was younger, somebody told me I would have to call or send out about 100 resumes to get a job - gruesome thought, but you will get one, and you will get a good one if you keep at it!

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
canpilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by canpilot »

Herm,

Ya, I agree probably an insane volume of calls... I'd get a little choked after a while..

This being said...I've noticed SOME not all are more grumpy than last year...Most seem pretty sympathetic to whats going on.. and wish me luck etc..

I ask how things are going as well and I think some Cp's start to open up.. and say ..ah good ..or OH GOD we're in the shit!! Then they ask me how things are in my hometown .. and I reply.. I make sure that I ask first.. eg. " Sir, do you mind if I ask how things are going in your neck of the woods" I also make sure that I've reached them at an okay time.

Some Cp's which I refer to by name are pretty upset with the downturn/ furlough and are pretty scared.. We're not the only one's who can't get work.. I think the employers and finding it hard to stay employed themselves ..particularly in the resource sector..!! Alot of em.. even friends who hire don't have the time because they are trying to line up some work to hire a few of us..

Hopefully this doesen't last too long.. and we can get back to business

Im trying to stay positive .. its pretty hard tho

HEHEHEHE Think happy thoughts or go to your happy place LOL!!

A2G
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A2G »

Maybe thats what I did wrong. Maybe I should ask if I can ask how things are rather than just saying "So how's business"?

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

The best thing you can do in a downturn is to show them your face... don't fax resumes... hit the road and hand deliver them. I spent 10,000km on the road doing just that in a downturn and got a great job. These companies are receiving faxed resumes all the time and don't be surprised if most of them end up in the garbage.

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

FICU wrote:The best thing you can do in a downturn is to show them your face....
Try a haircut before you take that advice there A2G. Oh - and you should probably leave your horn at home.

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

mbav8r wrote:Welcome to yet another downturn, I sent in my resume to perimeter a long time ago and the C.P at the time was a real ass. I called and told him that I sent my resume and was just making sure he received it and wondering if he had time, that I could come by and chat. He said we're not hiring and slammed the phone down in my ear. Not that it would make it better if it were a low timer, but I had 3500hrs even multi-turbine pic. I couldn't believe it, well thankfully I never had to fly the clapped out metros they're running around with.
You will find now that it's in the employers favor it will be pay back to the pilots for jumping ship when they had the chance.
sounds like it was mark k?

Rog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rog »

Ask yourself if this is someone you really want to be working for. Do you want this person to have some control over your life? Are you now realizing why he needed to hire two new pilots?
Getting such a reaction when asking about his business indicates that it is a sensitive subject and things aren't going that well.
Your better off without this place.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

If a chief pilot treats you like crap over a simple question just imagine what it would be like working for him/her.

Being polite to people is not all that difficult a task.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

Cat Driver wrote:If a chief pilot treats you like crap over a simple question just imagine what it would be like working for him/her.

Being polite to people is not all that difficult a task.

Some people sure make a chore out of it!

Tango Romeo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tango Romeo »

l can certainly understand why some folks can be a bit rude when aspiring pilots are calling for info on a job, or simply calling for the sake of touching base. lf you think about it, these people are working and may be busy at the time. l know that's no reason to be rude but some people are simply dicks when it comes to phone calls period.

What l found to be somewhat effective, is possibly calling just after business hours and leaving a detailed message indicating what you are looking for and your quals. This way, you're not catching anyone off guard and the cp's can effectively come up with answers to your questions instead of putting them right on the spot. Furthermore, if you don't receive a reply then you know the company may not be looking for you at that particular time. Plus you can cover more ground this way instead of doing the random drop in to the company headquarters.

The Cold calling technique is really hit or miss and is all based on timing, so don't be surprised or discouraged if you don't get as many replies as you'd like.

Good luck,

Tango-

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

save money on stamps, envelopes, paper, ink and long distance and hand deliver as many resumes as you can. do your research ahead of time and only visit the companies that:

a) you want to work for and/or
b) you think may hire someone with your experience

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

How much do you like telemarketers cold calling you? How much paitience do you have when they call while you are in the middle of doing something? How would you take it they asked how you're doing financially? How many telemarketing pilots are currently calling your average CP each day?

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

mattedfred wrote:save money on stamps, envelopes, paper, ink and long distance and hand deliver as many resumes as you can. do your research ahead of time and only visit the companies that:

Yeah save money on ink, stamps, envelopes and long distance calling, but spend EVEN more on gas money. LOL.

I know what you're getting at, I just had to poke fun at that :P

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Tango Romeo wrote:What l found to be somewhat effective, is possibly calling just after business hours and leaving a detailed message indicating what you are looking for and your quals. This way, you're not catching anyone off guard and the cp's can effectively come up with answers to your questions instead of putting them right on the spot. Furthermore, if you don't receive a reply then you know the company may not be looking for you at that particular time. Plus you can cover more ground this way instead of doing the random drop in to the company headquarters.
Sounds like a really good idea.

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

flying4dollars wrote:
mattedfred wrote:save money on stamps, envelopes, paper, ink and long distance and hand deliver as many resumes as you can. do your research ahead of time and only visit the companies that:

Yeah save money on ink, stamps, envelopes and long distance calling, but spend EVEN more on gas money. LOL.

I know what you're getting at, I just had to poke fun at that :P
i guess i could have worded that better eh? LOL

how about: don't spend money on stamps etc. spend it on visiting the companies.

Return to “Employment Forum”