Airport Identifiers
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
- Cat Driver
- Top Poster

- Posts: 18921
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm
Re: Airport Identifiers
How many of you have been to FOOL?
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
-
Old Dog Flying
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1259
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:18 pm
Re: Airport Identifiers
Tim: CZBB...Blunder Bay...Class "C" under the CYVR Terminal Class"C"...sorry that's Boundary Bay. How could I ever make that mistake????
Re: Airport Identifiers
you brought laziness up not me, i just commented on it. your words.EngineGuy wrote:Well it is very easy to look them up as many said here, even google works.... BUT as curious as I am, sometimes there is also a part of me that could not give a poop. The formula goes like this --> 2 Parts curious, 2 parts apethy, and 1 part lazyness. Thats adds up to 3 out of five reasons for not looking it up.
so much for my theoryOld Dog Flying wrote:Tim: CZBB...Blunder Bay...Class "C" under the CYVR Terminal Class"C"...sorry that's Boundary Bay. How could I ever make that mistake????
-
North Shore
- Rank Moderator

- Posts: 5627
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
- Location: Straight outta Dundarave...
Re: Airport Identifiers
Sydney might well be SYD, YQY,YSSY, YSBK etc.. but Sidney is right next to CYYJ.Besides, if I want to go to Sydney, do I type SYD, YQY, YSSY, YSBK, YYJ, CYQY, YSRI, or CYYJ...it's just so precise using aeronautical abbreviators...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
-
Just Duckie
- Rank 3

- Posts: 108
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:35 pm
- Location: West of somewhere
Re: Airport Identifiers
[/quote]
Sydney might well be SYD, YQY,YSSY, YSBK etc.. but S[b][u]i[/u][/b]dney is right next to CYYJ.[/quote]
Are you homesick???? because for a guy on holidays, you sure are on here lots!!!
Sydney might well be SYD, YQY,YSSY, YSBK etc.. but S[b][u]i[/u][/b]dney is right next to CYYJ.[/quote]
Are you homesick???? because for a guy on holidays, you sure are on here lots!!!
Re: Airport Identifiers
no, as i said before i deem it laziness. i am too lazy to write out the whole thing. you are too lazy to look it up. we are both lazy, but you started bitching.EngineGuy wrote: You see adding an explaination to an airport identifier as dumbing it down and hand holding.
- VikVaughan
- Rank 3

- Posts: 143
- Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:57 pm
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
It would be cool if there were a system like the one on the airliners.net where the forum automatically recognizes identifiers and underlines them. Then when you put your mouse over it, it pops up the name of the airport.
-VV
Jablonski... Noooooooooooooo!
Jablonski... Noooooooooooooo!
-
Intentional Left Bank
- Rank 5

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:31 am
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
Excuse me Engineguy, who is "TC"? I don't want to have to look it up. Thx. ILB.EngineGuy wrote:Even the people at TC don't expect that all pilots will know where an airport is just by its identifier...
-
linecrew
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1902
- Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 am
- Location: On final so get off the damn runway!
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
clunckdriver wrote:...Even TC cant get it right, they recently called CYYZ LBPIA in a report, so we have moved CYYZ to Portugal? would be a nicer climate I must admit!
Not sure what you mean...CYYZ is in fact LBPIA.
LBPIA = Lester B. Pearson International Airport.
-
iflyforpie
- Top Poster

- Posts: 8132
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
- Location: Winterfell...
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
ICAO? 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
-
linecrew
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1902
- Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 am
- Location: On final so get off the damn runway!
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
Heh heh...right, so you have very strong feelings against using abbreviations of airport names in place of proper ICAO idents, I get it. I doubt whomever wrote the repot you refer to intended LBPIA to be an ident but rather a lazy person at TC that didn't feel like writing out Toronto Lester B. Pearon International Airport...either way there's no excuse for it I guess.clunckdriver wrote:Linecrew, Im sorry but you miss the point, there is NO SUCH AIRPORT as LBPIA, period, TC used the local totally stupid designator on an international document, nobody outside of Toronto has a bloody clue where LPBIA is or was, thats why we have standard ICAO designators, and by the way, most folks dont care where Toronto is, including most Canadians.
I agree with you that the naming of airports is the most assinine practice out there. Next time I go to YYZ I'm going to call up Malton Tower and when I go to CYUL I'll call up Dorval Tower...I wonder if they will be insulted. Have you seen the name they gave Moose Jaw? It's now called "Moose Jaw/Air Vice Marshal C.M.McEwen SK". Keep that in mind when you see a report for AVMCMMcE.
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
regarding YUL
I usually call them Dorval Tower... I just can't get it into my head that it's now "Trudeau". I do call it "PET" (fart in english") every now and then though.
--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
standards are set too low."
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
the overabundance of acronyms in our industry is legendary.
Last edited by jeta1 on Tue May 04, 2010 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
did knowing that the incident took place in YUL change anything about it?
when i started reading this thread i thought it sounded familiar.
so i went and found an old thread.
turns out it was ALSO started by you.
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=50274
you are judging the very competence of people, based on their off-duty, internet ramblings and comparing them to tc based on an offcial publication. no body is making your read the threads. no one is stopping you from looking idents up on your own, like the rest of us do. i wonder how many idents you could have looked up during the time it took you to climb up on your pedestal and berate a bunch of people youve never met.
when i started reading this thread i thought it sounded familiar.
so i went and found an old thread.
turns out it was ALSO started by you.
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=50274
you are judging the very competence of people, based on their off-duty, internet ramblings and comparing them to tc based on an offcial publication. no body is making your read the threads. no one is stopping you from looking idents up on your own, like the rest of us do. i wonder how many idents you could have looked up during the time it took you to climb up on your pedestal and berate a bunch of people youve never met.
- Cat Driver
- Top Poster

- Posts: 18921
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
FOOL is also an airport identifier, and of course everyone here knows where it is.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
-
iflyforpie
- Top Poster

- Posts: 8132
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
- Location: Winterfell...
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
Libreville Gabon! (0.20 seconds on Google). And yes, I can locate it on a map. 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
- Cat Driver
- Top Poster

- Posts: 18921
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
AAahhhh true, but have you been there? 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
-
linecrew
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1902
- Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 am
- Location: On final so get off the damn runway!
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
Cat Driver wrote:AAahhhh true, but have you been there?
Do the people at FOOL speak FOOLish?
- Cat Driver
- Top Poster

- Posts: 18921
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
No the official language is French. ( Note:....... Not Quebecois French.)
Do the people at FOOL speak FOOLish?
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Re: The use of Airport identifiers
Same here, I just can't get used to saying ''Trudeau tower''. ATC corrected me the last time I used ''Dorval Tower'' (last week). So now I just say ''Montreal Tower'' and everyone is happy.regarding YUL
I usually call them Dorval Tower... I just can't get it into my head that it's now "Trudeau". I do call it "PET" (fart in english") every now and then though.
Re: Airport Identifiers
In some parts of Europe the 4 letter codes almost make sense. Like:
ESSA Europe Sweden Stockholm Arlanda
ENGM Europe Norway (Oslo) GarderMoen
EFHK Europe Finland HelsinKi International
EHAM Europe Holland AMsterdam
EDDH might be Europe Deutschland (Hamburg)
Since the Germans got the D, Denmark was left with K:
EKCH Europe Denmark Copenhagen
a bit more logical than the Canadian codes, eh
ESSA Europe Sweden Stockholm Arlanda
ENGM Europe Norway (Oslo) GarderMoen
EFHK Europe Finland HelsinKi International
EHAM Europe Holland AMsterdam
EDDH might be Europe Deutschland (Hamburg)
Since the Germans got the D, Denmark was left with K:
EKCH Europe Denmark Copenhagen
a bit more logical than the Canadian codes, eh
-
just curious
- Rank Moderator

- Posts: 3592
- Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:29 am
- Location: The Frozen North
- Contact:
Re: Airport Identifiers
Yeah, it's just north of CYHU, near the IATAICAO


