Airport Identifiers

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Cat Driver »

How many of you have been to FOOL?
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Tim: CZBB...Blunder Bay...Class "C" under the CYVR Terminal Class"C"...sorry that's Boundary Bay. How could I ever make that mistake????
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Tim »

EngineGuy wrote:Well it is very easy to look them up as many said here, even google works.... BUT as curious as I am, sometimes there is also a part of me that could not give a poop. The formula goes like this --> 2 Parts curious, 2 parts apethy, and 1 part lazyness. Thats adds up to 3 out of five reasons for not looking it up.
you brought laziness up not me, i just commented on it. your words.
Old Dog Flying wrote:Tim: CZBB...Blunder Bay...Class "C" under the CYVR Terminal Class"C"...sorry that's Boundary Bay. How could I ever make that mistake????
so much for my theory :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
 
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 5627
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Straight outta Dundarave...

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by North Shore »

Besides, if I want to go to Sydney, do I type SYD, YQY, YSSY, YSBK, YYJ, CYQY, YSRI, or CYYJ...it's just so precise using aeronautical abbreviators...
Sydney might well be SYD, YQY,YSSY, YSBK etc.. but Sidney is right next to CYYJ.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Just Duckie
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:35 pm
Location: West of somewhere

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Just Duckie »

[/quote]
Sydney might well be SYD, YQY,YSSY, YSBK etc.. but S[b][u]i[/u][/b]dney is right next to CYYJ.[/quote]


Are you homesick???? because for a guy on holidays, you sure are on here lots!!! :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Tim »

EngineGuy wrote: You see adding an explaination to an airport identifier as dumbing it down and hand holding.
no, as i said before i deem it laziness. i am too lazy to write out the whole thing. you are too lazy to look it up. we are both lazy, but you started bitching.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
VikVaughan
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by VikVaughan »

It would be cool if there were a system like the one on the airliners.net where the forum automatically recognizes identifiers and underlines them. Then when you put your mouse over it, it pops up the name of the airport.
---------- ADS -----------
 
-VV

Jablonski... Noooooooooooooo!
Intentional Left Bank
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:31 am

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by Intentional Left Bank »

EngineGuy wrote:Even the people at TC don't expect that all pilots will know where an airport is just by its identifier...
Excuse me Engineguy, who is "TC"? I don't want to have to look it up. Thx. ILB.
---------- ADS -----------
 
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 am
Location: On final so get off the damn runway!

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by linecrew »

clunckdriver wrote:...Even TC cant get it right, they recently called CYYZ LBPIA in a report, so we have moved CYYZ to Portugal? would be a nicer climate I must admit!

Not sure what you mean...CYYZ is in fact LBPIA.

LBPIA = Lester B. Pearson International Airport.
---------- ADS -----------
 
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by iflyforpie »

ICAO? :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
User avatar
square
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 951
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by square »

Droppin' TLAs, gettin' BOD 8)
---------- ADS -----------
 
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 am
Location: On final so get off the damn runway!

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by linecrew »

clunckdriver wrote:Linecrew, Im sorry but you miss the point, there is NO SUCH AIRPORT as LBPIA, period, TC used the local totally stupid designator on an international document, nobody outside of Toronto has a bloody clue where LPBIA is or was, thats why we have standard ICAO designators, and by the way, most folks dont care where Toronto is, including most Canadians.
Heh heh...right, so you have very strong feelings against using abbreviations of airport names in place of proper ICAO idents, I get it. I doubt whomever wrote the repot you refer to intended LBPIA to be an ident but rather a lazy person at TC that didn't feel like writing out Toronto Lester B. Pearon International Airport...either way there's no excuse for it I guess.

I agree with you that the naming of airports is the most assinine practice out there. Next time I go to YYZ I'm going to call up Malton Tower and when I go to CYUL I'll call up Dorval Tower...I wonder if they will be insulted. Have you seen the name they gave Moose Jaw? It's now called "Moose Jaw/Air Vice Marshal C.M.McEwen SK". Keep that in mind when you see a report for AVMCMMcE. :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:28 pm
Location: CYQB

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by Benwa »

regarding YUL
:oops: I usually call them Dorval Tower... I just can't get it into my head that it's now "Trudeau". I do call it "PET" (fart in english") every now and then though.
---------- ADS -----------
 
--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
jeta1
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:30 am

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by jeta1 »

the overabundance of acronyms in our industry is legendary.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by jeta1 on Tue May 04, 2010 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:50 am

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by prop2jet »

---------- ADS -----------
 
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by Tim »

did knowing that the incident took place in YUL change anything about it?

when i started reading this thread i thought it sounded familiar.

so i went and found an old thread.

turns out it was ALSO started by you.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=50274

you are judging the very competence of people, based on their off-duty, internet ramblings and comparing them to tc based on an offcial publication. no body is making your read the threads. no one is stopping you from looking idents up on your own, like the rest of us do. i wonder how many idents you could have looked up during the time it took you to climb up on your pedestal and berate a bunch of people youve never met.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by Cat Driver »

FOOL is also an airport identifier, and of course everyone here knows where it is.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by iflyforpie »

Libreville Gabon! (0.20 seconds on Google). And yes, I can locate it on a map. :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by Cat Driver »

AAahhhh true, but have you been there? :smt040
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 am
Location: On final so get off the damn runway!

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by linecrew »

Cat Driver wrote:AAahhhh true, but have you been there? :smt040

Do the people at FOOL speak FOOLish? :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by Cat Driver »



Do the people at FOOL speak FOOLish? :lol:
No the official language is French. ( Note:....... Not Quebecois French.)
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
Epsilon
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:10 am

Re: The use of Airport identifiers

Post by Epsilon »

regarding YUL
I usually call them Dorval Tower... I just can't get it into my head that it's now "Trudeau". I do call it "PET" (fart in english") every now and then though.
Same here, I just can't get used to saying ''Trudeau tower''. ATC corrected me the last time I used ''Dorval Tower'' (last week). So now I just say ''Montreal Tower'' and everyone is happy.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Finn47
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:29 am
Location: North of 60N

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by Finn47 »

In some parts of Europe the 4 letter codes almost make sense. Like:

ESSA Europe Sweden Stockholm Arlanda
ENGM Europe Norway (Oslo) GarderMoen
EFHK Europe Finland HelsinKi International
EHAM Europe Holland AMsterdam

EDDH might be Europe Deutschland (Hamburg)
Since the Germans got the D, Denmark was left with K:
EKCH Europe Denmark Copenhagen

a bit more logical than the Canadian codes, eh
---------- ADS -----------
 
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 3592
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:29 am
Location: The Frozen North
Contact:

Re: Airport Identifiers

Post by just curious »

ICAO
Yeah, it's just north of CYHU, near the IATA
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”