Professionalism/phraseology

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Professionalism

Post by Sulako »

I think you are mistaking "professional" for "absolutely humorless".
---------- ADS -----------

HS-74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HS-74 »

Along the same lines...

I once heard ATC ask someone to maintain xxx kts and he replied "we are dropping the anchor"

Kinda "different"

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

HS-74 wrote:Along the same lines...

I once heard ATC ask someone to maintain xxx kts and he replied "we are dropping the anchor"

Kinda "different"
:D I kinda like that one actually. What about "Got him on the fish finder." Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Egads...

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
heavymetal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by heavymetal »

I personally enjoy testing to see what the level of professionalism is out there on any given day by meowing on 6/7 and seeing how many people reply. Its absolutely disgusting some days I tell ya, you'll get the same people all day long.

I'm never played as the villian in the stories I've told.
Intentional Left Bank
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Intentional Left Bank »

I'm a firm believer in using only approved phraseology in responding to clearances, instructions or stating intentions. But I think there is room for humour in responding to a request such as that, particularly when traffic is light. "Thar she blows" is not the same as "on the slide to one-nine-oh". That said, I don't normally respond verbally to a squawk ident request.

Offset
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Offset »

If its light traffic I have no problem with some humour on the frequency, provided it's tastefull. Always remember if you take life too seriously you won't get out alive. If the frequency is busy park the jokes, and keep the communications short and sweet. My favorite is "we'll pedal harder" after telling an aircraft to keep the speed up on approach.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Intentional Left Bank wrote:I'm a firm believer in using only approved phraseology in responding to clearances, instructions or stating intentions. But I think there is room for humour in responding to a request such as that, particularly when traffic is light. "Thar she blows" is not the same as "on the slide to one-nine-oh". That said, I don't normally respond verbally to a squawk ident request.
+ 1, word for word.

P-50
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P-50 »

"palmerpilot " neato eh!

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

If its light traffic I have no problem with some humour on the frequency, provided it's tastefull. Always remember if you take life too seriously you won't get out alive. If the frequency is busy park the jokes, and keep the communications short and sweet.
I agree. Add to that, you never ever know who may have to pull those tapes & listen to what is said at a later date, so empasis on the tastefull!

Prairie Chicken
stopsquawk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by stopsquawk »

ATC: "Keep yur speed up"

Pilot: "Giddyup"
Intentional Left Bank wrote:I'm a firm believer in using only approved phraseology in responding to clearances, instructions or stating intentions. But I think there is room for humour in responding to a request such as that, particularly when traffic is light. "Thar she blows" is not the same as "on the slide to one-nine-oh". That said, I don't normally respond verbally to a squawk ident request.
Actually, like any other ATC instruction or request, you should reply with your call sign. That way ATC know it's the right target identing. You could, however, substitute your callsign with the phrase "Thar she blows".

Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 206 »

I can't stand when people are too uptight on the radio. If traffic is light, there's no need to sound like a robot.

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Is it not proper to lower your voice and kind of put a rasp to it. Start all comments with ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

stopsquawk wrote:ATC: "Keep yur speed up"

Can neither confirm nor deny, but a phrase that may have been heard in the airspace of a dinky little island just off the coast of France:

ATC: "No ATC speed restrictions.....GLF"

"Roger, GLF"

Points for first correct answer opened.

(I may have to start using this one for our Green Machine friends)

wannabatp
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wannabatp »

Jerricho wrote:

Can neither confirm nor deny, but a phrase that may have been heard in the airspace of a dinky little island just off the coast of France:

"Roger, GLF"

Go Like F*%K?

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

Correct.

stopsquawk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by stopsquawk »

Jerricho wrote:

"Roger, GLF"

Just to get this straight, would that be spoken as "Golf Lima Foxtrot"? or just a vernacular "GEEELEFF"?

No Conflict
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by No Conflict »

Jeeez people lighten up... flying in and out of YYZ all freakin day, it's refreshing to hear something funny.... breaks it up a little..... those guys who are all uptight are the ones that are laughed at by everyone else...

We can be professional AND have a good time, you know....

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Professionalism/phraseology

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

One slow but nasty winter West Coast day ATC asked me how the ride was. Without really thinking I said "well actually it really sucks". I guess I made the controllers day as he seemed to take great delight in reporting to every new plane that checked in that a C421 had reported the ride "quote sucked unquote" :lol:

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Professionalism/phraseology

Post by xsbank »

To me, when I hear the five-letter ident (Cessna 172 Charlie Aaarrrggghhh!) or some tyro talking slang or using inappropriate words or phraseology I immediately mark him down in my tiny notebook as an amateur.

Just think of a situation where the tribunal is reviewing the tapes and they get YOU saying 'Tally ho' or some other mindless thing, on the tape, in front of your peers and ultimately the unwashed hordes of media.

Professionalism is an attitude.

Besides, you are rarely as funny in person as you are in your own mind.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."

Return to “General Comments”