First Air Cargo Flt Eng. Fire, 13/06/09

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

First Air Cargo Flt Eng. Fire, 13/06/09

Post by Widow »

Cargo flight makes emergency landing

Lauren McKeon
Northern News Services
Published Monday, June 22, 2009

IQALUIT - A First Air cargo flight departing Iqaluit to Nanisivik was forced to make an emergency landing on June 13 after an engine fire was reported in air.
"The engine fire warning light lit up in the cockpit," said Deborah Baxter, communications advisor for Transport Canada. "The pilot declared an emergency and returned to Iqaluit."

Baxter said it is normal procedure for Transport Canada to follow up on all reported occurrences and is continuing to follow up with First Air.

"The company has since removed the engine from the aircraft and is investigating the cause of why that warning light came up," she added.

The First Air Aerospatiale 1989 Turbo prop plane was in the initial climb out of Iqaluit when at 3,600 feet the warning light went on alerting crew there was a fire in engine no. 2, according to information on Transport Canada's Civil Aviation Daily Occurrence Reporting System (CADORS).

The fire was put out in the air by discharging one bottle of halon - a fire suppressant - into the engine cowling. According to CADORS, initial inspection found a crack on the casing of the engine above the combustion section, which resulted in a fire.

When the plane landed in Iqaluit it had two flat tires and the aircraft also landed overweight.

There were minor delays to inbound and outbound flights as a result of the emergency landing.
http://nnsl.com/northern-news-services/ ... _09cf.html
CADORS Number: 2009C1441 Reporting Region: Prairie & Northern

Occurrence InformationOccurrence Type: Incident Occurrence Date: 2009/06/13
Occurrence Time: 1635 Z Day Or Night: day-time
Fatalities: 0 Injuries: 0

Canadian Aerodrome ID: CYFB Aerodrome Name: Iqaluit
Occurrence Location: Iqaluit (CYFB) Province: Nunavut

Reported By: NAV CANADA AOR Number: 107666-V2
TSB Class Of Investigation: 5 TSB Occurrence No.: A09Q0086
Event InformationBlown tire/wheel failure
Diversion
Engine failure
Engine shut down
Fire - engine
Aircraft InformationFlight #: FAB 5884
Aircraft Category: Aeroplane Country of Registration: CANADA
Make: AEROSPATIALE Model: ATR 42 300
Year Built: 1989 Amateur Built: No
Engine Make: PRATT & WHITNEY-CAN Engine Model: PW120
Engine Type: Turbo prop Gear Type: Land
Phase of Flight: Climb Damage: No Damage
Owner: BRADLEY AIR SERVICES LIMITED - FIRST AIR Operator: FIRST AIR (107)
Operator Type: Commercial

Detail InformationUser Name: Ridley, Rod
Date: 2009/06/15
Further Action Required: No
O.P.I.: System Safety
Narrative: FAB 5884, a First Air ATR 42, departed Iqaluit for Nanisivik at 1621z and at 1635z Montreal ACC advised Iqaluit FSS that FAB 5884 was returning with an engine fire and was requesting ARFF services. ARFF was advised and standing by as the aircraft landed on Runway 17 at 1642z. The crew had shut down the #2 engine but there was no apparent fire after landing. ARFF advised FSS that one starboard tire on FAB 5884 was flat. FAB 5884 taxied off the runway at 1648z onto Taxiway Alpha and shut down. A runway check of Runway 17/35 revealed no FOD on the runway. Taxiway A was NOTAM'd closed until the aircraft had its tires replaced and was removed from the taxiway.. There were minor delays to inbound and outbound traffic. TSB report to follow.

User Name: Ridley, Rod
Date: 2009/06/17
Narrative: UPDATE TSB Montreal reported that the ATR 42-300, flight FAB 5884, registered C-FIQU and operated by First Air Bradley was in the initial climb out of Iqaluit at 3600 feet when the crew received an indication of #2 engine fire (Pratt & Whitney Canada, PW120). The crew proceeded according to their check list, shut down the #2 engine, declared an emergency and returned to Iqaluit. The Airport Rescue Fire Fighters (ARFF) were in position when the aircraft landed. The ARFF confirmed to the crew that there was no fire on #2 engine but two starboard (right) flat tires. The aircraft taxied off the runway before shutting down the left engine. The aircraft landed overweight. Further information to come.

User Name: Ridley, Rod
Date: 2009/06/17
Narrative: UPDATE The company reported that there was an engine fire which was put out in the air with 1 bottle of halon being discharged into the engine cowling. Further inspection found a crack on the casing of the engine above the combustion section which resulted in a fire
---------- ADS -----------

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
onspeed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: First Air Cargo Flt Eng. Fire, 13/06/09

Post by onspeed »

good job by the crew....I would imagine that would wake you up pretty fast

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Sounds like they did precisely what they were trained to do and acted like professionals in every regard. I hope that when its my turn, I behave in the exact same fashion. Top notch work to the guys and gals.

station60
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by station60 »

....and it did wake me up :)

By the way, 1 flat tire, not 2 :)

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Well done - glad it was only tin and a bit of adrenaline.

Good work.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Fatass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fatass »

Nice job S60. If it was just the bell it wouldn't be that bad. But, why does it always smell like shit when that bell rings?

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

station60 wrote:....and it did wake me up :)

By the way, 1 flat tire, not 2 :)
Great work station60, glad everyone was okay.

Any news on what caused the engine fire? I see the TSB has made this a Class 5 investigation (no public report, no investigation for cause), or has this changed?

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
station60
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by station60 »

The reason for the fire was a fatigue crack found in the casing of the engine on the combustion chamber section. It's covered with a heat shield so it's not an item that's checked by maintenance. I wasn't aware of the TSB status (category 5) as you pointed out, that's news to me, thanks for the update :)

Return to “General Comments”