Floatplanes Filing IFR?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

shannon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Floatplanes Filing IFR?

Post by shannon »

If an operator like Harbour Air/West Coast Air departed Vancouver leaving for Victoria encountered unavoidable IMC along the way could they simply file IFR and if it cleared cancel IFR and land in the harbour?

Could they make this part of their normal operations, that is could they depart IFR and cancel? Would they have to be amphib to do this?

Thanks in Advance.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Floatplanes Filing IFR?

Post by ahramin »

Alternate and fuel considerations aside, the only problem with filing IFR on straight floats out of Vancouver would be departing from within the control zone. You would need an IFR clearance, and I'm not sure how YVR Tower and Centre would coordinate this. You would want to talk to them ahead of time. You would also need to come up with your own departure procedure after assessing obstacles. Best bet would be spec vis and climb visual until you are at a safe route/altitude, again this would have to be coordinated with YVR TWR and Centre. For the arrival you would descend to a minimum IFR altitude and continue visual from there. No need to cancel IFR.

As for the inadvertent IMC encouter, yes a pop up IFR clearance can be issued but this should not be a normal procedure.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

How about MRVA's and/or MEA's? Can an amphib really fly that high? (only half tongue in cheek)

Unless this float driver expected vectors all the way to his destination - he/she would be expected to climb up to IFR altitudes for the transit.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Keeping in mind that it has been almost 10 years since I have done more than a half a dozen flights a year out of Vancouver, it used to be no problem to get radar vectors over the water and never have to be above 3000'. Great way to stay out of the ice in winter.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Well for a float plane on the Vancouver Harbour -> Victoria Harbour crossing when the weather gets crummy they are more or less always in the process of landing ;) So can go at 200' if required. Way easier than IFR because if they can not break clouds and get visual reference to the ground they are SOL as they can not fly an ILS and land on the hard stuff, not to mention MEAs and Sector Altitudes are a tad high in the area because of all the cumuliousgranet around. Least that is how I would look at it. Mind you I don't fly floats.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
aklinz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aklinz »

Hello Shannon.
Having worked Vancouver FSS for 5 years, I can agree with Ahramin: Pop up IFR clearances should not be the usual procedure. You could file a composite IFR/VFR flight plan (letter "Y" in the type of flight box). Just be specific as to when and WHERE you plan to end the IFR and descend for the visual approach. As to transiting CYHC to CYWH at 200 feet in typical winter weather ? I seem to recall a C208 that tried that early one morning, and became "acquainted" with one of the Gulf Islands.....
Andrew Klinzmann

Return to “ATS Question Forum”