Water Bomber Crash in Kelowna

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Water Bomber Crash in Kelowna

Post by iflyforpie »

I can definitely see the nose gears out.
---------- ADS -----------

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I vote gear down. Looks like its out at one point there - not that glassy.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Not from the photos, but from the video - about 47 seconds and onwards, you can see the aircraft reflection/shadow on the water. Again, hard to say for sure. The video is pretty blurry even in high res.

Cheers,
Kirsten B.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

How come he doesn't get the credit Captain Sully got? He safely ditched a plane too. :rolleyes:

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Well where are the comments like "moron"and "stupid"? Of course that is if it was a gear down water landing.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

I just heard the news on the radio and there was an eyewitness report who said that he saw the plane land with the gear down. It is also easy to see the gear down in the video. This Air Tractor pilot gets my “Moron of the Day” vote.

canwhitewolf
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by canwhitewolf »

Witnesses to water bomber crash say the plane's landing gear was down
(CP) –
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... lxTe7BmvQA

Jastapilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Jastapilot »

There's a couple of frames in that video as he turns final where you can clearly see the nose gear extended. The approach and touchdown look like a normal landing, and probably would have been close to a greaser, yet he immediately flips over. The gear was down IMO. I'm glad he survived... could have happened to anyone, eh Doc? :prayer:

VRC9170
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VRC9170 »

culver10 wrote: This Air Tractor pilot gets my “Moron of the Day” vote.

Not really, Culver10
Do you fly amphibious floats?
Can happen to anybody given then right circumstances.

W0X0F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by W0X0F »

VRC9170 wrote:
culver10 wrote: This Air Tractor pilot gets my “Moron of the Day” vote.

Not really, Culver10
Do you fly amphibious floats?
Can happen to anybody given then right circumstances.
Yeah but some seem more prone than others. I think TC gave up on their amphibian Beaver 'cause those who regulate, can't.

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

Just another case where a gear warning system COULD have saved the day " Gear up for water landing " "Gear down for runway landing" Its that easy folks ,,,,,,, Forgetfulness is an integral part of human nature ,,,,, NOT having the systems to ASSIST the forgetful pilot ( everyone) in putting the gear up/down is just plain STUPID !!! :roll:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Like I have previously said, I always ask myself where am I landing and where is my gear as I turn final be it single pilot or two pilot operations.

It has saved me landing with the gear in the wrong position twice during my career.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Just another case where a gear warning system COULD have saved the day " Gear up for water landing " "Gear down for runway landing" Its that easy folks ,,,,,,, Forgetfulness is an integral part of human nature ,,,,, NOT having the systems to ASSIST the forgetful pilot ( everyone) in putting the gear up/down is just plain STUPID !!!
Talking to a friend who works at Conair - there is a warning system - predicated on the airspeed dropping below 85 kts....

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
MUSICMAAN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MUSICMAAN »

Shitty deal.... but to all those who think this could never, or would never happen to you.... not to mention any names "clulver10".... you're the morons.... This pilot is just another guy who made a mistake... and I'm glad he walked away from it!

MM

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I think there is a better way of learning from these accidents than labeling these pilots with descriptions such as morons.

What would be better is a clear description of what exactly caused them to land with an incorrect gear position.

That is unlikely to happen because the culture of " Lets all wait for the final report " by the authorities over rides every other channel of communication.

By the time the final report is out no one can remember the accident as there have been so many more that grab the attention of the industry for a few brief moments.

I know that none of us are totally immune to making the same mistake, however some of us are far less likely to do so due to focused discipline while driving aircraft and knowing what are the most important actions to take and double check while flying....the landing gear is right up there near the most important.

What is really puzzling is how does a two crew operation manage to do it.

I really do not understand comments like " shit happens " and " No one was hurt, it was only bent metal "

Have any of you ever considered some of that bent metal costs more than you are likely to make in many decades?

Last edited by Cat Driver on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Cat Driver wrote:I think there is a better way of learning from these accidents than labeling these pilots with descriptions such as morons.

What would be better is a clear description of what exactly caused them to land with an incorrect gear position.

[...]

I know that none of us are totally immune to making the same mistake, however some of us are far less likely to do so due to focused discipline while driving aircraft and knowing what are the most important actions to take and double check while flying....the landing gear is right up there near the most important.
I never tought I'd say that Cat, but I totally agree with you.

Going for the deck at corner
Puddle Jumper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Puddle Jumper »

nimbostratus wrote:I really really hope this wasn't a gear issue.

Hey! Doesn't Doc fly a fireboss? :?
Where is Doc!!!??? :shock:

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

Talking to a friend who works at Conair - there is a warning system - predicated on the airspeed dropping below 85 kts....

Great !! #1 , Does it work, #2 Does the pilot wear headsets and listens to the prompts #3 is the volume turned up enough to jar the pilot into thinking of what is being said etc etc ,,,,,

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

I'd like to know how tired the pilot may have been - out there fighting fires, which has to be extremely stressful, etc.

Shit happens, sure, but why? Would be nice to get a prelim from the TSB, rather than waiting for the final report (always assuming a Class 3 investigation).

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

North Shore wrote: "Talking to a friend who works at Conair - there is a warning system - predicated on the airspeed dropping below 85 kts...."

Crazy Aviator wrote: "Great !! #1 , Does it work, #2 Does the pilot wear headsets and listens to the prompts #3 is the volume turned up enough to jar the pilot into thinking of what is being said etc etc ,,,,,"

Yes it works, although if it is the same system installed on the Whiplines on the DHC2-T, it can be cancelled at the push of a button. If the airspeed doesn't come up above the benchmark speed again, the warning will not re-arm. This can be useful when doing low level survey, but deadly if you forget to re-arm the system (ie you land from the lower airspeed). Also, a mechanic can adjust the speed at which the system arms, and deploys.

Personally, I thought the addition of the verbal warning system a major improvement over not having one, although a bit of refining could make it better.

Don't know about headsets or individual pilots' radio practices, but the warning is reasonably loud (although some are quite distorted) unless a person is being inundated with external communication/noise/distraction.

Kirsten B.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart

Return to “General Comments”