Unpaid initial training: strategies?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Unpaid initial training: strategies?

Post by invertedattitude »

I was the only student on my course who had a job.

I am also the only student who got a license.

I worked part-time 20-30 hours / week at the airport:

Week went like this:

0400-0730 Working the ramp at the airport
0815-1615 Training

1800-2200 Working the ramp

I had some downtime at the airport most days and I could study inbetween flights, and I worked pretty much the entire weekends. It wasn't by choice it was required for me to survive. There was no student loans or assistance of any kind when I went through.
---------- ADS -----------

No_Delay
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No_Delay »

+1 for Parrot Heads analysis. He pretty much hit it bang on.
My course had 8 in generic, 4 got licenses.
50% checkout rate.

But being a qualified controller now, I will even add that controllers from other complexes have a say on a trainee. If enough complaints come through while playing pool on break, it plays a role, weather it is informal or not.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

Checkout rate here for the last few courses is around 25-30%, and definately every trainee is given a fair shake, and in every case I can think of the OJI's took every possible step to try and get them there, and give them chances.

Bottom line, even if you're good, training sucks, it's a whole other kind of stress.

I don't mean the training program sucks, I just mean the constant daily battle of self-improvement, and the "light at the end of the tunnel" which some days gets brighter, other days it gets dim, once you get so far you just want to qualify and it's a very different envrionment than any other job.

jakey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jakey »

Thanks all for your responses. It's great to be hearing from others who have been through the process.

My dashboard light just went green for the assessment which is good news. I'll be waiting for the next step if it's to be.

jakey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jakey »

cpl_atc wrote:
jakey wrote:Thanks all for your responses. It's great to be hearing from others who have been through the process.

My dashboard light just went green for the assessment which is good news. I'll be waiting for the next step if it's to be.
I don't know what YYZ's success rate is under the post-NCTI program, but Winnipeg's only graduating 8% of those who start the training. Be very careful in making your decision, and DO NOT burn any bridges with your current employer if/when you proceed. If it is possible to arrange a leave of absence, that would be a very prudent thing to do.
I'm not sure my company has ever arranged leaves of absence... I'll see if I am accepted into a course and then maybe I'll feel out HR on the issue.

filosov
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by filosov »

Thanks for all the input from people who've been through the process. Much appreciated!

I got a green light on the Assessment Session. Waiting for a call re the phone interview.

Apropos of that: I heard someone mention on an adjacent message board that they were called in for the second interview in YYZ. Wonder if that means that those who took the exam on July 10th are not up for the announced Sep/Oct training courses, since I'm not aware of any of us in that group who've done the 1st interview yet. It would seem to be cutting it a bit close.

Of course, starting dates can always be changed, new courses added...

Anyone from the July 10th exam get a call yet?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

From my experience that is a bit close, but hey who knows. To give you an idea I got my interview end of july, found out I was on a course mid-September and that is was starting in December. That was quick to standards, granted this was a few years back with SHL in control of recruiting.

jakey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jakey »

filosov wrote: Anyone from the July 10th exam get a call yet?
I'm in the same boat as you, just waiting now.

Not pinning all my hopes on NavCanada however... there are some other career things going on should this not pan out.

Best of luck to you! I was in the pm session. You?

filosov
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by filosov »

I was in the pm session too. I hear from another forum that people in CZEG FIR are getting phone calls about the seting up the phone interview as of yesterday... Hope YYZ is close behind!

jakey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jakey »

Well, I was at crappy tire and I got a call! My telephone interview is tomorrow. Not too long to sweat about: we'll have it out of the way so I can relax on the weekend.

Now will I be able to sleep tonight? :rolleyes:

filosov
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by filosov »

Got the call setting up my phone interview for tomorrow!

Jakey, how did your interview go?

jakey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jakey »

It went pretty well I think! The guy I spoke with was very nice and put me at ease.
I was nervous but I think my aviation background helped with a few questions.

Good luck to you for tomorrow! :)

Return to “ATS Question Forum”