M1 M2 license at the same time

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

cash_back28
Rank 0
Rank 0

M1 M2 license at the same time

Post by cash_back28 »

Hi all
I’m an apprentice for just coming on 2 years. I have most of my tasked singed off for M1 turbo prop and started to get task singed off for M2 turbo prop. I would like to know if I where to get 70% in both M1 and M2 task singed off and then write and pass cars. Would I get my M1 and M2 or do I have to wait a year? I know if I had my M2 and wanted my M1 I need a year of experience and 70% of task of M1. But does that work the other way to? Like If I have my M1 and want my M2 do I need one year experience and 70%?

All replies will be appreciated
Thanks in advances :)
---------- ADS -----------

bigbert
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: M1 M2 license at the same time

Post by bigbert »

From what I believe, and I'm not sure because every TC inspector is different, if you have the required amount of tasks completed for both M1 M2 during you apprenticeship you should be able to get both. This hold even more true if the company you work for services aircraft in both categories, or if the aircraft is in both categories ie Jetstream 31/32. But in all honesty I think its up to the TC inspector and how (s)he may interpret cars. Can anyone correct me if im wrong or missing somthing?

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by black hole »

I think I heard just a hint of a rumor the other day? The M2 is going to be a thing of the past; and that it will be covered in the AMO ACA!!!?????

BH

tellyourkidstogetarealjob
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tellyourkidstogetarealjob »

Once upon a time, there was a document named CARs. This document lived in a time of multiple ratings for AME's and stated that each AME applicant had to have a minimum amount of time working at each rating for the AME to receive those ratings on his/her license. It DID NOT say a license would be approved with only one rating. In fact, it was common to receive two or more ratings at time of license issuance if the AME could prove experience.

Poor CARs, the system of multiple ratings was updated until it became only a two (not including 'E', 'S') rating license. However, CARs was being looked after by the semi-illiterate who couldn't fathom that CARs wording was now out of date and did not accurately reflect the new licensing system.

Then one day, the now vulnerable CARs was assailed by the evil DB. DB (short for Dull Bureaucrat, shame on you who thought of douche bag!) was a very wicked fellow. Lacking in skills himself, he felt he could make his mark as a government employee. Officially, he was head of Maintenance & Manufacturing until about 2002 or 03, but we'll just call him DB for short. He (mis)interpreted CARs to say the a single license AME was a four year license. To get the second rating would take another year, in theory. (note: this assumes your local TC guy doesn't interpret the new policy to the letter and decide if you work on the second rating only 50% of the time it should require two years of experience to gain the required one for the extra rating).

The evil DB did this without any industry consultation (including the college system pumping out apprentices). In fact, DB was so useless as even a bureaucrat that he failed to properly notify his own offices and up to two years later many TC inspectors had still not heard how he had bastardized and sodomized poor CARs.

The industry responded in it's usual decisive way: By doing nothing. After all, it's far easier to burn through cheap, tax-payer subsidized apprentices, than risk any kind of TC wrath by kicking up a fuss.

The government reacted to it's own child, CARs, an act of parliament, being abused by doing nothing. After all, it's much easier to shuffle ministers around and kow-tow to special interest groups for re-election than to kick up a fuss.

So, today we have a system that has proven so successful in raising the profile of AME's that NLC scrapped an entire apprentice intake and BCIT was running last year at around 30% capacity at a time of rising unemployment. HELLO TC, IS ANYONE F*CKING HOME?

Apparently, the best way to ensure aviation maintenance safety is to chase away the best and the brightest applicants to other trades and skills. The brightest having the ability to analyze to choice between a guaranteed B.Sc in 3 years 9 month or maybe on M license in four or five, and then maybe the second rating a year or two after that. HELLO, TC? ARE YOU THERE?

And that, boys and girls, is how an act of parliament (CARs) was usurped by the truly incompetent and left alone to suffer and wither from neglect by those that were charged to look after it.

And they all lived unsafely ever after.

Oh, yes, and don't forget to have an M1 and an M2 logbook because it's so intuitively obvious how changing a landing light on an M1 machine is SO different than doing it on an M2 aircraft. :roll:

b1ngnx33
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by b1ngnx33 »

I don't know about that year difference between m1 and m2, or anything else.

But there is a difference.

Ahem....

M1 + 1 = M2.

The difference is 1.

But the 1 could be 1.01 or 1.99 or something else.

But its a one.

If Cars really wanted to be super duper accurate it would be

M1.00 or M2.00.

So in the future, oh god, you could have a half, one quarter, or itty bitty license increments.

M1.01 or M1.25, etc, etc.

In the far far future, in a land far far away, the license system is changed to 10 decimal places, and every letter

in the effing alphabet.

A1, B1, C1, M22.98294, A1.000000, etc.

Isn't bureaucracy awesome?

revr
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by revr »

Apply for both. whats the worst that could happen?

when i applied, i applied for both and got it.
i did not have 70% task in m2 nor was i asked to show how much time i worked on M2 aircraft.
it is much easier to get both when you initialy apply then it is to try to get it later.

log sheet
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Northwestern ON, but the Heart belongs to the Rock!lol

Post by log sheet »

Apply for both. You don't need a seperate log book, I've used the same book for 3 ratings. That's why you list the A/C the task was done on. Tire on M1 A/C ,1 entry. Tire on M2 A/C, 2 enrties. Tire #1 + Tire #2 = M1,M2. Then you need the time, 24 months ???? or whatever it is.
Good luck

GIT-R-DONE!

Return to “Maintenance”