I'm Stuck

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CAVESPRING
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am

I'm Stuck

Post by CAVESPRING »

Hey people;

Just got my Class 4 rating last week and I have been applying everywhere with no luck. Seems like everything is dead.

I am willing to go anywhere in the country (I'll go where nobody else wants to go, I don't care)-->Where is such place???

Any suggestions?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------
 
shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:16 pm

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by shamrock104 »

Montair, BC.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
CelBatrin
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: what some might call another dimension

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by CelBatrin »

Date:18 August 2009
Position:Dispatcher/Flight Instructor
Company Name:Canadian Flight Centre
Contact Person:Kerry
Street Address:#3-4335 Skeena Street
City:Delta
State/Province:British Columbia
Country:Canada
Web address:
Email address: info@halcyonaviation.ca
Phone number:
Fax number:604-940-0596
Send Resume By:Fax,Email
Aircraft Types:PA28- 140, PA28- 161, 152, 152A, 172R, Citabria, Super Decathlon, Seminole PA44-180

Job Description:
Canadian Flight Centre is looking for a Jr. Flight Instructor for dispatch work on weekend and statutory holidays. You will have the potential to advance to a weekend teaching position. Full time instructing will be an option down the road.

Transport Canada Flight Instructor Rating completed or working on presently A MUST!

Some of the dispatch duties will include:
*Answering telephone & providing information/assistance or routes caller to appropiate staff member
*Greeting visitors to the company
*Makes bookings for aircrafts
*Keep facilities clean and tidy
*Assist Office Manager with duties
*Working with student & renter files

Please email your resume to info@halcyonaviation.ca or fax 604-940-0596. Att: Kerry & Peter.
No calls or in person drop off.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=57431

Your call...
---------- ADS -----------
 
I'll just sneak through here... they'll never see me if I stay low.
CAVESPRING
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by CAVESPRING »

Thanks guys, but given those 2 places, Im gonna forget this line of work and go back to school to do something real. Hopefully in the meantime, I can find a regular job to help me get back the $9500 wasted in this rating.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
CelBatrin
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: what some might call another dimension

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by CelBatrin »

...what?
You don't want to answer the phone and keep the facilities clean and tidy.

Seriously though its a good time to go back to school (for whatever). Unfortunately for me its a bad time to come out. Sigh :(
---------- ADS -----------
 
I'll just sneak through here... they'll never see me if I stay low.
Sneeker
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: I come from the Land of the Ice and Snow from the Midnight sun where the hot springs blow

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by Sneeker »

You and about 2000 other people are having a hard time finding a job. Keep looking though its only a matter of time. a week is nothing.
---------- ADS -----------
 
volez
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:33 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by volez »

Hello Cavespring

We are going through tough times but it s always possible to find something, why not apply to Canadian Flight Centre wheras it seems not as attractive as you would like it to be, that is the kind of position that gives you the opportunity to get a foot in the door. Plus it will allow you to have another work in the meantime untill you go full time. As soon as the economy will pick up, you ll be first headline for a full time flight instructor job.

Just my 2 cents

Chris
---------- ADS -----------
 
CAVESPRING
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by CAVESPRING »

Volez;

Anyone who bites for that job is a real sucker. Those are the kind of gigs that cheapen this industry. Makes pilots look like whores. If I wanted to dispatch on the weekend, I wouldn't have spent all the effort, time and money on a rating that I would love to use for years to come and be well compensated for it.

I refuse to be treated like crap, to be a janitor and to work for free. Is that too much to ask? and trust me, I already PAID my dues getting this far...

Cave
---------- ADS -----------
 
21_gun_salute
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by 21_gun_salute »

Cavespring, I think you are a little impatient (or maybe just very driven lol). It took me months to find my first job and it was when the industry was good. Call places, send resumes everyday and if you can drive to schools and introduce yourself. It sucks man I know, I've been there, but it's the way it is. Anyways, to answer your question, I don't know where you live, but future air and mayland in ontario seem to always be looking for people. Sky wings in red deer hired some guys not long ago, they might be looking. I would look into calgary flying club in springbank, they are super busy. I'm not an instructor but I fly all over the country with my current job and schools seems to be busy everywhere I go, I doubt it will be that hard to find something, you just need some time.

Good luck.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 915
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:19 pm

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by Pratt X 3 »

CAVESPRING wrote:Anyone who bites for that job is a real sucker. Cave
Please don't take this as a personal attack but wouldn't spending that $9500 for your instructor rating and not having a job lined up at the end of it make you a little bit of a sucker? Why wouldn't the school that gave you your training hire you? Or did they just take you money and send you on your way?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Have Pratts - Will Travel
CAVESPRING
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by CAVESPRING »

They took my money and sent me away! Even with my Class 1 highly recommending me along with another instructor. The same thing happened to another Class 4 candidate who finished before me. He had to go to London for a job. Just before I was done (within 2 weeks) they hired someone from outside, having 5 Class 4 students on the go they did this... I don't know what to tell you, I guess I am a sucker, but with the best intentions.

Anyway, I quit my full time job to do this because this is what I wanted to do. Looks like I'm gonna have to find a job outside aviation to keep myself from going hungry. Im really dissapointed in this industry as a whole, and this is just the beginning... :(
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
square
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 951
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by square »

Oh poor you, let's sue the world for how you've been treated
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 915
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:19 pm

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by Pratt X 3 »

Not to worry as almost all of us the do this flying thing for a living were suckers since most of us didn't have a job waiting for us as soon as our licences were done. It's a shame that flight schools are allowed to train new instructors when they know they won't have jobs for them at the end of their training. Capitalism, I know, but still a shame.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Have Pratts - Will Travel
CAVESPRING
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by CAVESPRING »

You got it Pratt..

Square-go suck a big fat thumb
---------- ADS -----------
 
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:57 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by loopa »

CAVESPRING wrote:You got it Pratt..

Square-go suck a big fat thumb
I refuse to be treated like crap, to be a janitor and to work for free. Is that too much to ask? and trust me, I already PAID my dues getting this far...

Cave
Im really dissapointed in this industry as a whole, and this is just the beginning...
I'm not sure what kind dues you've paid off, but obviously you haven't paid off your dues in this industry as it's just the beginning for you.

What you said to square is a real good indication that you're a new comer to this industry. When he said let's sue the world for being treated, you're supposed to read between the lines bro. What he meant was that this industry is full of rats who take your money; they're called cowards. By the time you would be done suing all these cowards you would most likely have turned into one your self cause of 'the system.'

If you're tired of the industry already you should consider leaving it right away. It seems like you came out of training with a bunch of expectations primarily due to the unknown. You're not even past hell's gates and you're already "disappointed." You should maybe take this time and rethink if aviation is a line of work you want to get into because you will have disappointments much worse than not being able to find a job.

Being mislead by a class 1 instructor is quite common; in my case I was offered employment after a few flights into my instructor rating and I acquired that on paper. If you let a guy lead you on about how good you are, don't automatically assume that you're going to be hired there. There are more factors involved in hiring from a company's perspective such as budgeting, keeping senior instructors flying, etc. Supply and Demand man :)


From what I know square is quite a ways ahead of you Cave; using thumb as a metaphor for something else is not something you want to end up regretting when you apply for that dream job one day.


Take Care Pal

From an instructor to another :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by loopa on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CAVESPRING
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by CAVESPRING »

Well, if I misinterpreted the meaning of what square said, then I apologize to him/her in advance (just in case I'm away from AvCan for a few days)

I'm just fed up with sarcasm. I came from the hotel industry (which is full of it) to this one hoping for it to be better. No luck there.

Anyway, I might pull out of this if I can't land a job soon, cause like I said, I need to survive.

Thanks for all the replies (even the one I didn't "like")

Cave
---------- ADS -----------
 
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:57 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by loopa »

Sounds to me like you were either lead on by some really bad people or you lacked some serious research when it came to thinking that aviation was better than the hotel industry.

Wish you the best
---------- ADS -----------
 
CAVESPRING
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by CAVESPRING »

Both! but I always loved flying...

Thanks loopa, g-luck to you too.
---------- ADS -----------
 
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:57 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by loopa »

CAVESPRING wrote:Both! but I always loved flying...

Thanks loopa, g-luck to you too.

Okay, so if you love aviation, make compromises and stick to it dude. I'd hate for you, a junior member to this industry, leave simply because he/she needed a little bit of motivation !

Imagine that dream job / life style you're thinking of being involved in one day. Wouldn't you want that? I'm pretty sure you would. Suck it up bro, and go out there and start paying your dues (reasonably).

Also, don't rush. Never rush; rushing is the exact kind of attitude that will kill you in an airplane. Imagine rushing through that checklist and skipping "x-feed" simply cause you're 2000 feet away with 0 engines and 200 pax !

That x-feed could be your life saver ! Chill bro. Go traveling and enjoy your privilege for a month then come back for a job.
---------- ADS -----------
 
CAVESPRING
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by CAVESPRING »

Yeah, I'll go away for a while, try to instruct when I come back. Either way, Im probably going back to school so I can have a career that can give me the lifestyle I want and maybe fly for fun on the weekends. We'll see.
---------- ADS -----------
 
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:57 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by loopa »

Atta boy !

That's what I wanted to hear; stick to it and if you ever need a motivational speak ! Do a loop :P those are always fun.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Flaps 1 Billion
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:32 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by Flaps 1 Billion »

Life isn't easy buddy, no one ever said it would be. It's hard out there these days, for a lot of people, but hard work, patience and perseverance is the name of the game. IF you thought you'd have a job right out of training, you were mis lead or too hopeful. I don't know your background or what you did before but we all have out stories of hard times so let's leave that aside for now.

If you don't want to fly for a living, suck up that 30gs you just forked out for everything and go spend another 40 for more education.

If you do want to fly for a living, keep at it. Make those calls, hit the road, call on friends for help. Put some yourself to use and get yourself a job. Moaning about it on a website won't get you much, though if I could help I would. Get out there, make something happen, don't pack it in so quick.

Life isn't easy, no one ever said it would be.

Tough love.
---------- ADS -----------
 
ho ho ho merry christmas
User avatar
termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:05 pm
Location: In my shoes

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by termerair »

Hi!

Sad to read that you're disappointed... But I really wonder how you managed to spend 30 or 40K$ without even doing your homework...? Also may I ask what do you consider having paid your dues...?

If you are disappointed after a week with no luck landing a job then I fear you made a big mistake... You're talking about lifestyle... Not sure what you're looking for exactly but often the road is long, very long before you get satisfied with what you have.

Good luck to you anyway. I hope things will work out!

Cheers!

T.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by termerair on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave T
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 9:45 am

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by Dave T »

Seriously one week and you are thinking about giving up? I know people in many other fields that have taken much longer to find a job when times are good. Right now there are many educated people out of jobs. Times are tough and it might take a little while to find something. I was a little picky but it took me a few months just to find a good ramp job when I got my start. If you thought you were going to get a fresh class 4 rating and just walk into a job I think you need to step back for a bit of a reality check. If this is what you want to do keep up the hunt and keep looking. If you think spending 9500 bucks on a rating is paying your industry dues then I think you're going to have a tough time in the industry.

Good luck with the search.
---------- ADS -----------
 
vamosalaplaya
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:23 am
Location: in between
Contact:

Re: I'm Stuck

Post by vamosalaplaya »

obviously you haven't paid off your dues in this industry
Loopa, tell us what is it and why is it. Don' t get it, I am a bit slow.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Vamosalaplaya has no god.
Vamosalaplaya has no boss.
Vamosalaplaya has no country.
Vamosalaplaya is not politically correct.
Vamosalaplaya is free.
Vamosalaplaya has no dignity.
Vamosalaplaya has nothing to lose.
Vamosalaplaya has no color.
Post Reply

Return to “Employment Forum”