Dumb cockpit placards
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore
Dumb cockpit placards
I had to share a placard I came across in an F-86.
It shows that dumb sounding placards aren't a new thing.
At least the first part of the placard should be obvious to anyone with the slightest understanding of gravity...
(The F-86 is at the Canadian Warplane Heritage museum, I think on loan from the national museum.)
It shows that dumb sounding placards aren't a new thing.
At least the first part of the placard should be obvious to anyone with the slightest understanding of gravity...
(The F-86 is at the Canadian Warplane Heritage museum, I think on loan from the national museum.)
- Attachments
-
- CIMG6043arcr F86 cockpit - dumb placard.JPG (191.7 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
-
iflyforpie
- Top Poster

- Posts: 8132
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
- Location: Winterfell...
Re: Dumb cockpit placards
Is that for smart, dumb, or retarded bombs?
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Re: Dumb cockpit placards
Is there a G meter in the airplane?
I'm just thinking, maybe in a fighter jet, in the heat of battle, you're not always exactly congisant of what the Gs are at every given instant.
As you tuck over into a dive to drop that thing, you may be at less than 1 G for a while and you may not exactly recognise if you go even subtley into the negative.
It still probably does not warrant a placard as I'm sure this folley is well covered in millitary training; but then again - it was probably put there as result of calamities due to people doing exactly that.
I bet "REF T.O. 01-60 JL-69" is a shpeel about exactly whatever caused them to install that placard.
Clunk Driver probably knows.
I'm just thinking, maybe in a fighter jet, in the heat of battle, you're not always exactly congisant of what the Gs are at every given instant.
As you tuck over into a dive to drop that thing, you may be at less than 1 G for a while and you may not exactly recognise if you go even subtley into the negative.
It still probably does not warrant a placard as I'm sure this folley is well covered in millitary training; but then again - it was probably put there as result of calamities due to people doing exactly that.
I bet "REF T.O. 01-60 JL-69" is a shpeel about exactly whatever caused them to install that placard.
Clunk Driver probably knows.
The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
Re: Dumb cockpit placards
A few years back, the company I worked for commercially operated a Stearman (for scenic rides). Before it went on the OC, the gang from Transport came out to take a look at it.
One of the inspectors was going through the 'checklist' to see if the aircraft had all of the required 'items'. He stops and ask where the placard is, indicating the location of the exit(s).
The rest of us (other TC people included), just turned and looked at him like this:
To which he replied, "well, it is on the checklist".
As a joke while they were out at lunch, I photo shopped together an appropriate sticker. The word EXIT in a semi-circle, with arrows radiating out in all directions (think Japanese 'Rising Sun' flag). In the end, TC decided we didn't require an 'EXIT' placard in the open-cockpit biplane ... despite their 'checklist'.
But I wish I'd taken a picture of it.
One of the inspectors was going through the 'checklist' to see if the aircraft had all of the required 'items'. He stops and ask where the placard is, indicating the location of the exit(s).
The rest of us (other TC people included), just turned and looked at him like this:
To which he replied, "well, it is on the checklist".
As a joke while they were out at lunch, I photo shopped together an appropriate sticker. The word EXIT in a semi-circle, with arrows radiating out in all directions (think Japanese 'Rising Sun' flag). In the end, TC decided we didn't require an 'EXIT' placard in the open-cockpit biplane ... despite their 'checklist'.
But I wish I'd taken a picture of it.
Cheers,
Brew
Brew
-
iflyforpie
- Top Poster

- Posts: 8132
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
- Location: Winterfell...
Re: Dumb cockpit placards
There's coffee on my keyboard now!neilblythin wrote:A few years back, the company I worked for commercially operated a Stearman (for scenic rides). Before it went on the OC, the gang from Transport came out to take a look at it.
One of the inspectors was going through the 'checklist' to see if the aircraft had all of the required 'items'. He stops and ask where the placard is, indicating the location of the exit(s).
The rest of us (other TC people included), just turned and looked at him like this:
![]()
![]()
![]()
To which he replied, "well, it is on the checklist".
As a joke while they were out at lunch, I photo shopped together an appropriate sticker. The word EXIT in a semi-circle, with arrows radiating out in all directions (think Japanese 'Rising Sun' flag). In the end, TC decided we didn't require an 'EXIT' placard in the open-cockpit biplane ... despite their 'checklist'.
But I wish I'd taken a picture of it.
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
-
iflyforpie
- Top Poster

- Posts: 8132
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
- Location: Winterfell...
-
North Shore
- Rank Moderator

- Posts: 5627
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
- Location: Straight outta Dundarave...
Re: Dumb cockpit placards
^ Looks like a push-pull dash to me? Wasn't there an accident in ?Golden? a few years back, where they tried the SE. T/O?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Re: Dumb cockpit placards
Did the "Front" and "Rear" markings give it away.
-
BigglesNBella
- Rank 3

- Posts: 142
- Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:00 pm
- Location: The Wet Coast
Re: Dumb cockpit placards
There was a G meter in the Golden Hawks painted F-86.HS-748 2A wrote:Is there a G meter in the airplane?
Is that the 337 parked outside Esso at YYJ?iflyforpie wrote:
-
iflyforpie
- Top Poster

- Posts: 8132
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
- Location: Winterfell...
Re: Dumb cockpit placards
No, it's the one parked in my hangar at AA8.
I remember the one in Golden. It wound up in the river after a bunch of students tried to 'air start' the second engine...
I remember the one in Golden. It wound up in the river after a bunch of students tried to 'air start' the second engine...
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Re: Dumb cockpit placards
Funniest one I saw:
"Место для стакана водки"
Place for the glass of vodka

"Место для стакана водки"
Place for the glass of vodka
Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.




