Antarctic

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

the AK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Antarctic

Post by the AK »

Does anyone know of some companies that fly routinely in the Antarctic, other than Borek?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by sky's the limit on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling....
Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Antartic

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

British Antarctic Survey
USAF
Safair (C-130)

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
Banjo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Banjo »

Do Enterprise's Baslers work down there?

jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jet a1 »

there's an aussie company that flies CASA 212's for the Australian Antarctic Division. also, i believe there's a handful of helicopter operators as well...i'm to lazy to look them up :wink: I'm not too sure about enterprise, however a little birdy told me that borek is going to help with a recovery of an enterprise basler that had issue down there.

the AK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the AK »

ya enterprise was operating two down there last winter. haven't heard if they will be heading back down. doubt they will.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

It was my understanding that borek would be handling the dc-3 work on the ice this year.

RyanF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RyanF »

the AK wrote:ya enterprise was operating two down there last winter. haven't heard if they will be heading back down. doubt they will.
Had three down last season.

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

RyanF wrote:
the AK wrote:ya enterprise was operating two down there last winter. haven't heard if they will be heading back down. doubt they will.
Had three down last season.
I believe that one is still kinda "stuck" in the snow since last Jan.

We're all here, because we're not all there.
RyanF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RyanF »

mag check wrote: I believe that one is still kinda "stuck" in the snow since last Jan.
You would be correct.

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

RyanF wrote:
mag check wrote: I believe that one is still kinda "stuck" in the snow since last Jan.
You would be correct.
Woooooo Hooooooo, I knew it would happen sometime!!!! Someone said I'm right about something :wink:

We're all here, because we're not all there.
wxguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wxguy »

Just a tip, make sure you spell Antarctic correctly if you are applying for a job. :D

the AK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the AK »

damn you spellcheck, let me down again. they will get the idea.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Antarctica

Post by just curious »

Well Ak, the reason there aren't a lot of operators down there is simple. Summertime, when the continent is jam packed, there is maybe 3000 people standing on it, which makes it the world's biggest small town.
  • Borek for fixed wing,
  • HNZ and Petroleum Helicopter for rotary.
  • Safair and Air Ukraine for heavy lift charter.
  • An ambitious Australian company has an Airbus for transport to the continent (Which works well), and a pair of CASA 212's for science work on the continent (not a roaring success).
  • A B3 operated by various companies serves DDU, where they filmed the March of the Emperors
Previously, Enterprise was a launch customer for Baslers down south. DAP contracts Voyageur for the nearest accessable base on King George Island, where there are a dozen little tiny stations. Alcair ran a DC-6. It is at about 80 south 81 west if you want it. Has been since '93.

In the main, aviation is the province of the various National Research program's home military s or federally controlled or sponsored aircraft.
  • Grupo 6 of the Chilean Airforce and Grupo 10 provide Otters and Hercs.
  • Thoroughly despondent pilots from the Herc squadron in Brazil provide airlift to KGI
  • The Argentine's 7th Air Transport Squadron at Comodoro runs Otters to Marambio and Almirante Brown
  • 40 Squadron runs Hercs to McMurdo for the Kiwi's
  • South Africa's 22 squadron has had a couple of M2's at Sanae in the past
  • The British Antarctic Survey operates their own Twin Otters, 4 of them, as well as a Dash 7.
  • The US has us all beat though. The 109th from Schenectady New York runs 7 Ski-equipped H model Hercs, plus several slicks without skis. At times they have had C5A's and C141's. New when they need a boost, they use C-17's. From McChord AFB I think.
  • The US helo requirement was met by VXE6's 212's. When the squadron disbanded, the work was taken over by Petroleum Helicopters, with 212's and Astars
While Borek covers a fair chunk of the flying down there, we just don't have the fleet size or volume to do the fuel and resupply for place like McMurdo, South Pole, Siple Dome, or Thwaits. My little patch is a 750 mile square corner near the Kiwi side of the Ice, and aside from my one little Otter, there's only 2 helos around there.

A huge part of the barrier for new entrants is simple. Crew experience. The Aussie 212 crew wouldn't hope to find a lot of snow for practice in the off season. Not a lot of ski work in the Alps. Even in Alaska, at the twin turbine level, operators tend to be on paved runways. When a place like Barrow has center-line lighting, the requirement for Otters on skis is low. The Brits have had a tough time training the people they get. When hired, they tend to have fascinating backgrounds, but zero ski experience.

The second is a knowledge of what to pack for parts, and the ability to buy them and bring them. It is something generally arrived at through trial and painful error. If something off the list goes sour, how do you get it to the plane?

The third is sometimes difficult in many companies. Competent independent engineers, with the experience and authority to undertake work generally saved for the shop. My engineer the last several seasons was the main reason I go back each year. The guy isn't merely several steps ahead of the scheduled maintenance, but he actively looks for potential problems in the damnedest places. Finding an engineer like that is gold for most companies. Knowing how to describe a malfunction to reduce the trouble-shooting time isn't a trait of a lot of pilots. Guys like these can ask the type of probing questions to really find solutions.

If a company can find a solution to all three problems, they can have a shot at the work. But without them, they won't stay long.

the AK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Antarctic

Post by the AK »

cool, thanks for the info

lostinthebattle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lostinthebattle »

Excellent post JC.

nortont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nortont »

Very informative JC.

Thanks

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Antarctica

Post by Dust Devil »

just curious wrote:
The third is sometimes difficult in many companies. Competent independent engineers, with the experience and authority to undertake work generally saved for the shop. My engineer the last several seasons was the main reason I go back each year. The guy isn't merely several steps ahead of the scheduled maintenance, but he actively looks for potential problems in the damnedest places. Finding an engineer like that is gold for most companies. Knowing how to describe a malfunction to reduce the trouble-shooting time isn't a trait of a lot of pilots. Guys like these can ask the type of probing questions to really find solutions.
This little tidbit is probably the most truth that has ever been spoken in the history of man. :-)

Guys like that are worth their weight in gold. I hope he is being compensated well.

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”