Mount Royal College

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

PW123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Mount Royal College

Post by PW123 »

skyordie151 wrote:If you have your doubts, that's fine. I know first hand that the teachers at the school are experienced, and one of our sim instructors is a current pilot with jazz. As for Mr. Alex Burton, check out this blog I found. http://www.pacificrimaviation.ca and click on "Aviation Insights." Read through a few of them, I find them interesting and informative WAY beyond the standard for the commercial students, which should be the goal of any flight school
HAHA. O Skyordie151. You have alot to learn yet. As for your Jazz sim instructor, well he may just have as little as 250 hours, as that is what jazz has been hiring guys with. As for Mr. Burton, well lets just say it sounds like he is grossly underqualified for the position he is in. I followed your link to the "Aviation Insights" and i agree there is some informative information in them. However, all of these articles would best suit the weekend private pilot flying for a piece of Pie or $100 hamburger. What is a commercial pilot??? i guess you are still a private pilot, so you would not know yet.

He does not mention anything about a circling NDB approach at night in a snowstorm, about getting out of a short gravel strip fully loaded. He does not mention anything about turbine powered airplanes or barely even multi engine airplanes. So if MRC is training pilots to succesfully transition to a Taylorcraft or use GPS to navigate to the next piece of apple pie.........they are on the right track. If they want to help the students when they get in the real world............well, lets just say they will have a hard time after being "mentored" by this advice.

Too bad to hear all of this.
---------- ADS -----------

canadianbacon112
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canadianbacon112 »

It's been said and I will say it again. A program once prestigious and highly respected has greatly gone down hill. In the time of my training through the college I had several issues. Instructors always seemed to be late; the ramp operations were extremely disorganized along with a lot of cancellations. 2 CFI's had been fired within a close span of time and as recently discovered the new hire, a great person with much knowledge in academic organization seems to be slightly under-qualified in the IFR department. Having graduated the program and now working in the industry I will tell you something very useful. No body cares about you having a business diploma along with a few other aviation related academic courses to go along with your flight training. Every employer that I have come across so far are more so interested in the number of hours you hold. Getting a job in this industry will ALWAYS boil down to hours and who you know. A person who has a diploma or even a degree for that matter applies for the same job as someone who only has flight training but more useful hour’s logged guess who the job is going to? Instead of taking a 2 or 4 year school course along with your training hammer out your licences and necessary ratings and log those hours. Get a job that will help you log required hours in order to get yourself into a big bird. Don’t waste time and money on useless courses that the school is obviously going to try and convince you that is your ticket. The local club is honestly a better choice. Better on the pocket and you will be able to start working in the industry a lot sooner.

P.S,

Flow charts are NOT the key to success.

Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

I will repeat my earlier post as it is indicative of the situation at MRC as I predicted much earlier.

Dude,

You have not been in the industry long enough to know what is good and what is not. The new CFI has a focus on curriculum instead of teaching you about the business, this is a real failing by the school. I understand that they passed over many experienced industry people in favor of people who are teachers first and pilots a distant second, or third. Their focus is on people who have post secondary teaching experience first and aviation experience as a sideline. At least this is what I am told of the classroom and simulator instructors. I can count on one hand the number of experienced aviation people who have experience teaching at a post secondary level and they are not at Mount Royal. The program will suffer, and as a result the product they turn out will suffer, making it more difficult to land a first job. One of the only options open would be to instruct at said school. Are you beginning to see the vicious circle effect here? It is like saying that you do not need to be a lawyer to teach law, or that you do not need any business background to run a business school or aviation experience to administer an aviation program. Is this picture becoming more clear? The administrators of the school need to rethink the direction that they are taking the program in. What is the point of a 4 year degree if at your first job the chief pilot laughs you out of the office because he/she knows that you came from a school that does not have a good reputation amongst the industry people. Seriously think about the return on investment you get from this program it is your money and your future, do your due diligence.

SafetyFirst
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SafetyFirst »

I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say that Mount Royal is going "downhill". The aviation program at Mount Royal has always been an exceptional program and continues to be so. As far as having instructors with little experience, I beg to differ. Mount Royal has numerous instructors, both flight and in class, whom are very qualified in what they teach. One example would be Mr. Ralph Langmann. If anyone were to say that this man is unqualified to teach what he does, then that person would be a fool. Ralph has been with the program since its beginning, so anybody who has graduated before in the so called "good ol' days" have been taught by the same person still teaching today. Secondly, I'll address the issue of the CFI Alex Burton. True he may not have had much IFR or multi experience, but does a CFI honestly require it to make or break an entire program. Back in the day when I did my PPL at a local flying club, I never even knew who the CFI was, let alone him having any influence on the performance of my flying. The IFR and Multi training at Mount Royal is currently being taught by such fellows as Butch Foster. This man too is a long time instructor with Mount Royal and has more than enough experience with what he teaches. For God sakes, he stop counting his hours after hitting the 20 000 mark! No flights that I'm aware of are flown with the CFI in the Cougar, so in reality, it absolutely does not matter whether or not Alex Burton has much experience flying multi or not. It almost seems to me as though somebody, who finished the program a few years back, was unhappy with it, and started this whole charade about Mount Royal being bad. Rumors and gossip can spread quickly, whether it may be true or not. Hell, for all I know, maybe everyone talking bad about Mount Royal are dropouts of the program and have nothing better than vengeful comments about it. It sickens me to hear this bad talk about the program, because frankly, little of it is true in reality. Mount Royal is a great program and will continue to be so for the coming years.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

SafetyFirst wrote:Secondly, I'll address the issue of the CFI Alex Burton. True he may not have had much IFR or multi experience, but does a CFI honestly require it to make or break an entire program.
Good grief, what a question!! Of course the CFI does, that's why the CFI is the central position at any school.
SafetyFirst wrote:Back in the day when I did my PPL at a local flying club, I never even knew who the CFI was, let alone him having any influence on the performance of my flying.
Bringing up a quasi-example of another unnamed school doesn't address anything. Since you didn't even know who the CFI was, how could you possibly know what he contributed or how important his knowledge and experience was? And also, that could have been a less than top-notch school as well.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
fly'n
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fly'n »

As a current student, I tend to agree with the whole idea that the program is going down hill. I obviously don't know how it has been run in the past, though I am sure that it has been better than it is now, because there is no way it would have survived this long the way it has. The classroom portion of it is fine except for a few minor things that a few of us have noticed, but you will find that anywhere you go, the biggest problem with the way it is being run now is how flight operations has been handled. This year they have decided to schedule flight's themselves as a way of keeping everyone at around the same stage in their training, though this has been a horrible disaster. This has resulted in some students being at flight 10 of the syllabus already, while others have yet to complete their first flight. Also, with the way that they are handling scheduling, students have no say in when their flights are booked, you are expected to fill out a sheet at the beginning of the semester with the times of your classes and the times of the week you are not able to fly consistently throughout the semester, with no way to be able to schedule around any other commitments you may have, such as family gatherings, weddings, vacations that have been planned already, etc. You are only allowed one cancellation per semester, and you must notify them 72 hours prior to the flight to use it. Because of this, some students had to cancel their flights home last minuite for thanksgiving because they were scheduled to fly Monday afternoon, and the 72 hour cancellation only took effect this week, so they had no chance of using it. Another thing that has taken effect this week is that instead of scheduling 2-3 weeks ahead, flights are now booked generally with between 10 hours to 5 days notice. This rules out scheduling things around your flights, as you have no idea when you will be flying until perhaps the day before, and even then they are changing the times and days of flights right up until the last 10 hours, which paired with the schools 12 hour bottle to throttle rule, forces some students to end up getting no shows as they had been scheduled for an afternoon flight, and get switched to the 8am flight at 10pm the night before. Another significant change that has been implemented this year is that all syllabus flights must now be completed in university aircraft. This change is hurting alot of people right now, as they are either so far behind on flights and want to catch up, or are so far ahead and want to do a couple flights in another schools aircraft, which free's up aircraft for those that need to catch up. In general, it just seems that they are not very acommadating to the students through these and other changes they have made. It means alot of students have had to quit there jobs to be able to do this, and for some this has put them into a corner, because they have no means of income, they have to pay for the tuition (around 60k with flight costs included) and some also have to pay for living expenses ontop of that. They do all this under the guise that "this is how it is in the industry", which is true to an extent, however going to school is not the same as being a pilot in a company, especially when you have to pay for your flights (and keep in mind the a/c costs are higher at mount royal than many other schools in the area), and try and find time to fit in classes and study time, as well as for some a job, though like I said many have just given up on their jobs because of the fact that it is literally impossible to do this year. There are many other things that I have noticed that are wrong with the program, but I will save those for another time as I don't have the time nor patience right now to write anymore

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

PW123 wrote: HAHA. O Skyordie151. You have a lot to learn yet. As for your Jazz sim instructor, well he may just have as little as 250 hours, as that is what jazz has been hiring guys with. ....
You're a little off the mark there but carry on with the rest.

Anyway, every generation things change at MRC, and every single time they do, the previous generation says that things are going down hill. They said it when Ralph Langman left, they said it when Burt retired. It's the same shit. The college is a large bureaucratic corporation, and things change at a glacial pace. Offering a 4 year degree as an option could be a good thing, hell I might go back and get a degree if I only had to go back for 2 more years.

Anyway time will tell if things really are "going down hill"

flyinghighagain
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyinghighagain »

As a former student of the program, hearing all this is definitely disappointing.

SafetyFirst.... I do agree that Mr Langeman and Mr Foster are excellent instructors with a wealth of experience. However, the current CFI and Chair of the program have no idea what they are doing. Mr B****** is better suited to running the local flying club than a university-level program. His experience is in general aviation rather then the aviation industry. He has no actual experience outside of ab initio flight training, which hurts the program's reputation for training professional career pilots, as well as the students themselves! Don't you think that as a current student, you should have the most knowledgable and experienced people training you?

The current Chair of the program has ZERO aviation experience and is completely ignorant and naiive about the industry. This is hurting the program more than an inexperienced CFI, but of course, the CFI was hired by this Chair, who has no idea about the industry..... a vicious circle.

Fly'n.... I hear where you are coming from with the auto-scheduling. When I was a student we only knew our flights the day before and you were expected to show up. However, we were allowed to put in a "time-off request form" if you knew you were going home for Thanksgiving for example. Self-scheduling is great for students who can manage their time properly, but it also leaves many of the more unmotivated behind. If implemented properly, the auto-scheduling program does work quite well. As for jobs and things, don't you submit your availability? We always just used to submit our availability for our jobs and then flew around that availability. Hopefully the current administration will get the hang of it before they lose even more students.

Hopefully Mt Royal will get it's act together before they lose more students, lose even more experienced instructors, or completely tarnish their reputation

FHA

LAX
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LAX »

flyinghighagain wrote:
Self-scheduling is great for students who can manage their time properly, but it also leaves many of the more unmotivated behind.
Haha, sounds like a great system if you ask me. Never saw an issue in allowing the more motivated to be productive.
Although the program has grown in size since I left the whole schedule your own flights concept worked very well when I attended.

PW123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PW123 »

I agree that self scheduling worked fine. If you were motivated......you finished your flying on time. If you were not......you didnt. When i went through the program we also had a flight scheduler....worked fine because she knew what she was doing and it was handled in the correct way. As for student numbers. I think the program numbers are going down. I heard recently they are down to less than 20 in first year (they hoped for 45+) and somewhere in the 20's for second year. Halfway through first semester and most students have barely started flying. Prices are now up considerably from previous years......more than other schools at CYYC or CYBW and all airplanes are on HOBB's meters. Thats gonna hurt sitting #8 in sequence on the weekend in the Grumman Cougar holding the brakes at $400 an hour.

Students are also having to adhere to strict dress codes. Not only for flying, but for all college courses. So what are your chances of picking up a girl in gym class wearing a shit shirt and tie. what a joke. I do agree with dressing respectable for flights and aviation classes but at what point after these students graduate are they going to be wearing a white shirt with epaulettes and black tie. There is even a mirror when you enter the hangar. Students must look in it.........decide if they look good enough to be at the hangar and if not..leave. For a program trying to instill confidence and leadership into pilots, i cant get over the flow chart on every wall, detailing how to pick up a pencil to......and get ready for this......no joke........a flow chart on how to use the bathroom. You gotta be kidding right? Stop by the hangar for a visit, you will see just what i am talking about.

Too bad too see a program that once put alot of trust and gave you a chance for some decision making transfrom into such a kindergarden hand holding joke.

If you dont believe any of this, PM me. I know first hand from both sides of the desk.

wxguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wxguy »

Post a pic of the bathroom flowchart...we all want to see it! :lol:

fly'n
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fly'n »

The whole uniform thing now is definatly a joke, if your shirt or pants are wrinkled, you won't be allowed into class, or on a flight (both sim and actual). You must be wearing it on campus at all times between 6am and 6pm, and later if you have classes past these times. The whole idea of that is fine, but for people living on res, they actually have to put their uniform on to go to the gym, to pick up something from the bookstore, library etc, and people have actually been given occurance reports over going to the gym in the morning (keep in mind that for first year students, classes don't start until 3 on tuesdays and thursdays). As for students this year, there is around 25 i think, down from the original 35 i believe due to some people not having their private pilots liscence yet, or not having recieved their class 1 medical certificate in the mail yet from transport (I am not even kidding on that one...). With as many instructors as they have, and as few students, they shouldn't have any excuse for the large differences in flight times thus far, and self scheduling would have definatly worked considering most flight schools are larger than this in terms of students, and have fewer planes and instructors... And yes, it is true that almost everything in the hanger has a flowchart, including the bathroom...

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

fly'n wrote:The whole uniform thing now is definatly a joke, if your shirt or pants are wrinkled, you won't be allowed into class, or on a flight (both sim and actual). You must be wearing it on campus at all times between 6am and 6pm, and later if you have classes past these times. The whole idea of that is fine, but for people living on res, they actually have to put their uniform on to go to the gym, to pick up something from the bookstore, library etc, and people have actually been given occurance reports over going to the gym in the morning (keep in mind that for first year students, classes don't start until 3 on tuesdays and thursdays). As for students this year, there is around 25 i think, down from the original 35 i believe due to some people not having their private pilots liscence yet, or not having recieved their class 1 medical certificate in the mail yet from transport (I am not even kidding on that one...). With as many instructors as they have, and as few students, they shouldn't have any excuse for the large differences in flight times thus far, and self scheduling would have definatly worked considering most flight schools are larger than this in terms of students, and have fewer planes and instructors... And yes, it is true that almost everything in the hanger has a flowchart, including the bathroom...

WTF?

I remember back years ago they were discussing the whole uniform thing, but they only said it would be a requirement during aviation courses only. What a bunch of BS, I'd tell them to shove it, let's see them be able to enforce this when you fight it with the higher ups at the school. Sorry but they can't force dress requirments at the school, this was the biggest hurdle they were having when they first were considering it.

What I always found to be the best was the instructors were dressed like slobs, worst dressed instructors on the field but the students always looked clean and neat.

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
SafetyFirst
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SafetyFirst »

Fly'n, you're obviously a first-year and have no idea of how things were run in the past and don't know WHY there are some of the procedures there are, implemented this year. Everyone on this forum have been talking about bad things they don't like about Mount Royal, but yet nobody has mentioned any of the good things. It's like watching an american news channel. All you hear about on TV is bad news, but in reality, there's so much more good things out there. Anyways, as for the uniform issue, it's in place because some students in the past made fools of themselves around the school or when they were out flying on a cross-country. Because they were in the aviation program, they "represented the program", and because they were making a mockery of themselves, it hurt the program in the view of 3rd party observers. Concerning the rule for wearing of proper clothing (and notice I'm talking about a nice business casual shirt, as Mount Royal doesn't have uniforms), again it's a matter of representing the program and having pride. If all the aviation students wore
t-shirts with profane language on it or even just a shirt with jeans, it's unprofessional looking, and seriously, the aviation industry is a small community, and people DO notice. And buddy, the rule for wearing business attire to the gym no longer exists! I don't know if you guys remember, but you all had dress codes back in high school for the same reason. With the aviation program, its only requirements is that you look neat and professional, there's no uniforms.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

While I cheerfully admit to knowing squat about Mount Royal's program, save the fact that it is Alberta based, I have a question to toss out to the crowd...

Back in the Day, Ralph Langeman was either the guy in charge, or at the very least, mentor to everyone there. As I understand it, he is retired now. Prior to that, he was a Budworm pilot on the TBMs back when I was in NB. Probably the last guy to fly a Lancaster for a living. Knew everybody that was anybody.

So... who does the College have waiting in the wings to replace him? I understand the College wanted someone with curriculum development experience, and presumably, the new folks, CFI etcetera have that. Once the new curriculum is in place, who will be around with a shred of industry experience?

New pilots need mentors. Grizzled old bastards that can say "You're an idiot, but if you can stop being stupid for 10 minutes, I can call someone from the south end of YYC to show you why you need to look at more than just the HSI. Maybe while he's at it you can look at their new Turbo Swearingen Mushmonster and ask a few questions..."

I'm a chatty guy. Used to be whenever I got into Calgary, I couldn't walk 3 feet across the ramp without some kid from Mount Royal pestering me about a tour of the Twin Otter, and the hangar, and a million questions relating to my job. We hired 12 of them that I remember, and a couple who I don't. But I know damned well Ralph sent them.

Curriculum development is nice. But any idiot could fly to Toronto, and give a Seneca guy a case of beer, and have the Syllabus laid out on the bar in 5 minutes flat. Colleges need and will always continue to require old experienced bastards.

Who do you have?

JC

PW123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PW123 »

enjoy

Attachments
001.pdf
(34.95 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Dear God in Heaven I actually thought you guys were just kidding about the flow chart for using the bathroom.....

.....is that chart genuine and from the school?

Because if it is I really couldn't hire one of their graduates to fly an airplane with a certificate from that outfit because I would be laughing so hard I would not be able to speak.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
fly'n
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fly'n »

SafetyFirst wrote:Fly'n, you're obviously a first-year and have no idea of how things were run in the past and don't know WHY there are some of the procedures there are, implemented this year. Everyone on this forum have been talking about bad things they don't like about Mount Royal, but yet nobody has mentioned any of the good things. It's like watching an american news channel. All you hear about on TV is bad news, but in reality, there's so much more good things out there. Anyways, as for the uniform issue, it's in place because some students in the past made fools of themselves around the school or when they were out flying on a cross-country. Because they were in the aviation program, they "represented the program", and because they were making a mockery of themselves, it hurt the program in the view of 3rd party observers. Concerning the rule for wearing of proper clothing (and notice I'm talking about a nice business casual shirt, as Mount Royal doesn't have uniforms), again it's a matter of representing the program and having pride. If all the aviation students wore
t-shirts with profane language on it or even just a shirt with jeans, it's unprofessional looking, and seriously, the aviation industry is a small community, and people DO notice. And buddy, the rule for wearing business attire to the gym no longer exists! I don't know if you guys remember, but you all had dress codes back in high school for the same reason. With the aviation program, its only requirements is that you look neat and professional, there's no uniforms.
Yes, I understand that there are reasons for each and every rule that they have there, however I personally don't understand how having every aviation student wearing dress shirts and pants is going to give them a better image. Sure it looks good, but when you see one of the aviation students doing something that could potentially hurt the progrom, you know forsure now that it is an aviation student as there is little to know doubt that it is them since they are quite literally the only people wearing clothes like that. Sure, maybe make us wear it for flying, and even courses like the groundschool, and engines one, but making us wear clothes like that is going to do nothing to how someone behaves. How many programs are there that mount royal offers? and out of that, aviation and nursing are the only ones with formal dress codes in place, and nursing is mostly due to hospital requirements more than anything else. are all the broadcasting, legal studies, engineering, etc students unprofessional just because they wear a T-shirt and jeans? No, professionalism is measured by how you conduct yourself when people are not watching, and how you treat others, no amount of clothing is going to change that... And they re-instated the dress code when going to the gym, it is now at all times when you are on campus, regardless of the reason.
My main complaint about the program wasn't even about the dress code anyways, it was about how utterly retarded scheduling is set up. They could have implemented that way better, like for example letting us book off weekends that we know we can't fly (literally the stupidest rule in the entire program. This is school, we can't commit every waking hour to the program, people have lives and need to get other things done...), allowing more than 1 cancellation per semester, especially when they are booking us and we have no control over when we get booked. Better yet, we could schedule ourselves like everyone did during their PPL, and like most other schools do. If you can't manage your time efficiently enough to get them done on time, it's your own loss...

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I think Selkirk and Seneca students have to wear uniforms to school and on flights don't they?

Fact is, you tend to act more professionally if you dress the part.

JC, after Ralph Langman and Knobby Clark, Bert Marcott was the chair. He had flown the F100 and the 101 ("one oh wunders") and was a wealth of knowledge. Next, the late Dave Oldford took over. He had been a bizjet pilot in the oil patch prior to losing his medical. Again lots of industry experience and he went on to teach in the sim at WJ after the college. Since then I really don't know where they got their experience from.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

There's only one solution for you current Mt Royal students, rebellion. If they think so little of you as individuals that they feel it necessary to create a flow chart for the washroom, you're going to have to live down to their expectations. Therefore you should; leave the lights on when you're finished, write down everything on the rectification sheet no matter how trivial, and most important of all, never wash your hands when you're finished while continuing to use as much paper towel as possible. :lol:

Return to “Flight Training”