Airport security Goons, {Again}

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Airport security Goons, {Again}

Post by loopa »

haha good on you clunk !

I always try to own HMS in any possible way; most of the time they're either hyped up on drugs or can't comprehend english so it's my fun of getting through the day. Somebody bully's me cause of a non sense issue? I bully them back. Though, I'm more sly.
---------- ADS -----------

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

I was in DXB a few weeks ago, and I somehow manged to run into a friend of mine that is a Northwest 747 captain, well we sat and BSd for a while until his crew caught up.

As we all went through the security screening, the bozos at the security counter deceided that his FO ( who happens to be a woman) had something "questionable" in her bag. After 20 mins or so of this moron digging through her personel belongings, they deceided she was "ok" What a friggen joke!!! I have to give props to the crew, as they wouldnt continue to the gate untill she was cleared ! ( it was kinda neat to see a mob of 25 people hovering around!)

S

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

I shave the old fashioned way, with a brush and shaving soap. I have never been questioned about the stuff until one trip home from Cuba. Security wanted to keep my shaving soap. I told him to buy his own, which didn't go over well. I then asked for his boss to come over. Within a couple of seconds, once the boss arrived, I was on my way with my soap and a dirty look from the security dork.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

I was flying up to Prince George on commercial once as we were to bring the aircraft back as soon as we got there. We're not in uniform, just jeans a shirt and company jackets. Of course I had my headset in my bag and my license in the pocket. So as soon as I empty my pockets into the bin and bag goes through the x-ray, the cranky European lady running the scan decides to have a chat with her colleagues about the belongings in my bag. I'm then told to sit down to the side. 2 mins later, I'm questioned as to why I have an aviation headset and a license on hand. I explained I was flying up on commercial to begin my duty day flying down to Vancouver then continue with the rest of the trip that evening. I was interrogated and asked why I wasn't in uniform. I replied, we didn't need the uniform to bring the aircraft back since the retrieval was a non-rev flight. Try explaining that one to any screener and you'll get the most dumbfounded look.

Then the really intelligent question came up. "Sir, why is it you're carrying your pilot license with you then?" :shock:

This, I didn't know how to answer without making them look like idiots in front of the other passengers who were now quietly watching this. I was quite fed up and just decided to answer it like this "Well, let me ask you, do you need a license when you go to drive your car? [blank unimpressed look on screeners face] Yes, yes you do. Likewise, you need a license to fly an airplane. If you're going to interrogate me, will you please get a supervisor over here who knows how to ask relevant and smarter questions?" That really ticked the officer off. I then decided to repeat my story one last time, which seemed to diffuse the anger towards the response I gave, and I was then told to grab my belongings and leave. I would have loved to have stayed longer and complained to someone of a higher authority but by then the boarding announcement had been made and I decided to leave it as history. A few passengers approached me at the boarding gate and shook my hand for the response I made to the silly question.

I really don't mind being interrogated if there's reason. I know they have a job to do, and if they ask me legitimate questions, I'd understand. But this was ridiculous.

That would be about the ONLY time I've been interrogated like that. Even when I was caught with a seat belt cutter in my backpack from a water egress course we took once, I wasn't even interrogated as badly.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

More reasons why I weep for humanity. :cry:

Rest assured- these will be the same morons that mess up your fingerprints one day and you have to wrongly spend some jail time with bubba. :orcass:

But on the bright side, there won't be any terrorists in Yellowknife or Fort McMurray because of their hard work. :D

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

bandaid wrote:I shave the old fashioned way, with a brush and shaving soap. I have never been questioned about the stuff until one trip home from Cuba. Security wanted to keep my shaving soap. I told him to buy his own, which didn't go over well. I then asked for his boss to come over. Within a couple of seconds, once the boss arrived, I was on my way with my soap and a dirty look from the security dork.
HA.. the same thing happened to me just last month, except at YYZ. The 'security' person was busy looking for my razor (which had no blades in it) and came across my shaving soap. She said I couldn't take it and I briefly argued that it was a solid, dry soap and that I travel with it all the time. She then said something about it being in a container bigger than 100ml which made no sense since solid, dry soap isn't restricted. I had to make a connecting flight so I didn't bother going any further with it. I only had a little left so I ate the loss. I also wasn't 100% sure I was in the right, but I checked later after the incident and I was. If it happens again I'll make a fuss. Funny thing was that she was so sidetracked by the shaving soap that she didn't even care about the razor that she was looking for in the first place.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

After the shoe bomber i could understand the fear and need for looking at our shoes.
Once the body cavities have been exploited for more than just drug smuggling i will stopped flying commercially rather than having a full body cavity search before each flight.Even if they promise to warm their hands and be gentle i would rather walk than be subject to the searches that will come after the first butt/fudd bomb goes off :shock: :shock:

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by countryhick »

My sister in law passed along this little gem to me last summer;

She was flying back to visit her mother, and brought along some fresh wild blueberries for her. To keep them cool for the flight, she packed them in a small cooler with a gel pack. You would have thought the world was ending by the uproar it caused. After getting a severe tongue lashing, losing the gel pack, and faced with the reality of mushy blue berries for her mother, she proceeded to gather her belongings and rush to catch her flight. As she was putting her coat back on, she was shocked to find a xacto knife she had used in her garden that morning, the type of thing that our crack security experts are supposed to find.....ummmm, well, when they are not protecting us from the evils of the frozen gel pack that is!!

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

EVERYBODY should see the FIFTH estate on Transport Canada's security allegations. It's something EVERY person needs to know about transport. Search it up, it's a CBC documentary.

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

I'll prefix this by saying that I'm no fan of security bullies and I got a real kick out of Clunk's story. That said, I will also point out that there are a number of nasty liquids/soilds that you would not want on an airplane. These things look just like water/soft drinks/soaps and gel packs.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wabano »

Sorry mate. Edited by Doc

Left the pic on, because I've actually seen them do this. D

Attachments
muslim n A likelyterrorist.jpg
muslim n A likelyterrorist.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
tesox2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tesox2 »

....still had it!

Last edited by tesox2 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

So here is the million dollar question:

Is there anywhere that all of the rules on how they are to operate are outlined?

For example I have noticed that some goons take my blackberry (e-mailed boarding pass) when checking my bag while others don't. How would I find out what they are required to do?

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by countryhick »

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

What I would like to see is what CATSA staff are required to do or not do. On the CATSA website it says "If the metal detector sounds, you will be asked to remove any item that may have caused the alarm."

I have never seen anyone required to remove a watch, bracelet, or anything else that set off the metal detector. At most you have to undo your belt, not remove it.

So is this a rule they have that they do not follow, or is there really no such requirement?

In other words if they tell us to do something, how do we know whether or not it is required? How would we look up the minimum distance from our bags?

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

ahramin...

The details that you are looking for are not likely published in the public domain. I suspect that the closest you are going to find is the information contained in these two documents:

Canadian Aviation Security Regulations
Designation Standards for Screening Officers

As an aside, this was an interesting documentary:
Terror in the Skies

The gripping inside story of the plot to blow up seven international jet airliners using bombs disguised as bottles of soft drinks. It was a plan aimed to kill thousands. In the end it was foiled only because of remarkable work from the intelligence services and police in Britain.

Terror in the Skies shows how the plotters from the towns of Walthamstow and High Wycombe came together. How they were influenced and encouraged by a Muslim fundamentalist in Pakistan and how the investigation leading to their capture was potentially compromised by the United States authorities.

It was a plan audacious in its scale but frighteningly simple in its execution. In 2006, seven young men, all of them Muslim, all of them born in England, planned to board jet airliners bound for cities across the United States. In their hand-luggage they would carry what looked like bottles of soft drinks. Inside the bottles they would have concentrated hydrogen peroxide. Alongside those they would carry small cameras with batteries. The batteries were not all they appeared to be: they were actually detonators set to be activated by compact cameras that contained a power source.

According to British authorities the plan would involve the men going to the toilets of their respective planes, piecing the bomb components together and then triggering them to explode. Some planes would blow up over the ocean. Others would be brought down over American cities. Whatever happened, thousands of people would die.

The men planning the attack had every reason to believe they were making their preparations without anyone else knowing. They were wrong. British authorities first became aware of a possible plot when they began surveillance of a Muslim man they believed had extremist tendencies. What they uncovered astounded them.

Terror in the Skies reveals the cat and mouse game played by intelligence agents as they tracked the plotters over a period of several months and how the agents broke into premises rented by the men and how they used surveillance cameras and microphones to track their every move. Those cameras provided live footage of the terror suspects making the preparations to create bombs. Ultimately this surveillance was used to convict some of the men for their plan to blow up the planes. On the face of it this was a major victory for the British security services - but was it?

The film reveals evidence that American authorities, with possible authorisation from then President George W. Bush, may have become edgy and pushed the British agencies to arrest the men earlier than intended. The result? British police failed to get the evidence they needed to convict all the men on charges of conspiracy to murder by blowing up the planes.

If true it raises significant questions about the nature of the relationship between the British and American intelligence services.

The program also exposes the problem western countries now face when apparently law abiding citizens are radicalised to commit jihad. As a former director of the C.I.A. says,

"...every single piece of intelligence I have seen in the past seven years ...tells me one thing, and that is this adversary is committed. They're smart, they are ideologically driven. They have one mission in life. They will never return to own a tea-shop and they'll never return to their families. They will go until we get them. "

Produced for the BBC's Panorama.

Terror in the Skies

RFlyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RFlyer »

This happened to me a while back at LAX. I was walking past one of the doors to the parking area when I spotted a little green and yellow bird flying madly around _inside_ the terminal, trying to get out. It was bumping into the glass and was well on its way to breaking its neck. Absolutely nobody seemed interested in helping it outside. So, without thinking too much about it, I put down my carry on bag and coralled the little bird against the window. I was gently petting it on the head trying to calm it a bit. This went on for a few minutes - me checking my bag out of the corner of my eye the whole time.

The bird flew out of my hand and shortly after a security guard tapped me on the shoulder and asked me "if that was my bag over there". I said it was and went to get it with this guy riding me the whole way over to it about how stoopid I was for leaving it and I could be arrested for it. He had little patience for the bird story and I'm sure he thought I was making it up. But then...

... the bird flies back and lands on my shoulder. The guard's face - he looked like he'd been slapped. Just turned around and walked away :lol: YES, there _is_ a god.

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

I wonder what kind of a pile of stories like these ones we're going to have after the Olympics?

For those of us with the misfortune to be in and out of or anywhere near Vancouver through that time - look out. Things are going to get stupid..

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

CD, thanks for the links. As usual you are the most useful guy around here.
The details that you are looking for are not likely published in the public domain.
That's what I was afraid of. I do hate facism.

The Terror in the Skies article is quite relevant I think. All the security morons in the world were not about to stop these guys. Had they made it to the security screening stations, they would have made it to the planes.

Return to “General Comments”