Airport security Goons, {Again}

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ottawa,kan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Airport security Goons, {Again}

Post by ottawa,kan »

So about a year after 9/11 my wife and three year old and I were flying to San Diego and my wife has this little cooler packed with snacks, some cokes ( pre shoe bomber) a gel pack and etc. So off we go thru security and she has a super sharp filet knife show up on the x-ray. Must have been 6 or 7 inches long. When asked what it was for , she looks at me and says, why to cut up the block of cheddar cheese of course. Well in this case everybody had a sense of humour and they took the knife but let us board, and with a really minimal amount of crap. Maybe we have more sense in the heartland? Of course post shoe bomber, all of it would have been illegal.
---------- ADS -----------

pitot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitot »

So speaking of security can anyone explain to me why you would have security as well as baggage screening at an FBO? I was in Boston the other day at Signature and to get to the plane i had to pass thru security who screened my bag and pass thru a metal detector. I know my passengers were not happy about having to go thru that and if i had showed them the $56 charge for it they prolly would have been even more upset. lol

MZUNGO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by MZUNGO »

HS-748 2A wrote:I wonder what kind of a pile of stories like these ones we're going to have after the Olympics?

For those of us with the misfortune to be in and out of or anywhere near Vancouver through that time - look out. Things are going to get stupid..

i am taking those two weeks off.

flyboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyboy »

pitot wrote:So speaking of security can anyone explain to me why you would have security as well as baggage screening at an FBO? I was in Boston the other day at Signature and to get to the plane i had to pass thru security who screened my bag and pass thru a metal detector. I know my passengers were not happy about having to go thru that and if i had showed them the $56 charge for it they prolly would have been even more upset. lol

Yes Boston Signature FBO is super annoying. So far the only security screening I've run into at FBO's. I usually try to talk the customer into a different airport....and I avoid Signatures like the plague.

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

pitot wrote:So speaking of security can anyone explain to me why you would have security as well as baggage screening at an FBO? I was in Boston the other day at Signature and to get to the plane i had to pass thru security who screened my bag and pass thru a metal detector. I know my passengers were not happy about having to go thru that and if i had showed them the $56 charge for it they prolly would have been even more upset. lol
Interesting... At first, and especially since you mentioned Signature, I thought that it might be part of the TSA Secure Fixed Base Operator Program (SFBOP). However, that is limited program and the FAQ info indicates that it is voluntary and the crew and passengers can decline to participate. The Large Aircraft Security Program (that's all aircraft over 12,500) isn't law yet. What I think you've run into is the DCA Access Standard Security Program (DASSP) as Signature Flight Support at KBOS is a "gateway airport" and subject to full TSA inspection. There are 28 airports/FBOs across the US that are part of that program.

Return to “General Comments”