log book gone

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

X_Ray.. :

Contrary to what Old Fogducker said regarding my attitude you will easily find someone at TC who will help you in a situation such as this, there are many good employees working for TC. all you need do is look around to find them and then keep them as friends for when you need help.

A personal log is very important when you first start out and is something that you should always keep in a safe place.

The most important records will be those needed for upgrading and these you will have to be accurate with as to what you did in any given flight.

As you progress in your career you will tend to forget logging how many minutes you spent flying on instruments or in the dark and from A to B and will just keep track of total hours.

Then way down the road you will finally get tired of logging any time in a personal log book and just keep track of time for your pay if needed.

Anyhow the most simple method that I would suggest is buy a little note book that will fit in a shirt pocket and write your daily time in that, then transfer it to your log at home.

Oh, by the way swearing an affidavit is a legal way to make a declaration as to time, it is just not all that accurate as to exactly what you did on any given flight. :D

Some day I hope you can keep track of the flying you just did with the same paper record that I now use...its green with a picture of George Washington on it... :mrgreen:

All the best and I hope that will be your worst loss in aviation. :wink:

Cat
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

You flew with George Washington Cat? :shock:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Yes, many times.

Usually when I get finished flying people give me many pictures of George Washington on US hundred dollar bills and he flys home with me. :D

But sometimes I get pictures of Mrs. Elizabeth Windsor on British pound Sterling and lately it has been pictures on Euros...

A guy's just gotta love that kind of paper work. :D

Cat

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
TTJJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TTJJ »

KIAS

My mistake. I said Template. I should have said Customize.

Johnny
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Johnny »

Cat Driver wrote:Usually when I get finished flying people give me many pictures of George Washington on US hundred dollar bills and he flys home with me.
Not to be petty, but Washington is on the one dollar bill. Ben Franklin is on the hundred. The money you have been given is fake. :lol:

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Johnny wrote:
Cat Driver wrote:Usually when I get finished flying people give me many pictures of George Washington on US hundred dollar bills and he flys home with me.
Not to be petty, but Washington is on the one dollar bill. Ben Franklin is on the hundred. The money you have been given is fake. :lol:
Too funny! :smt073

Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mclovin »

thanks for the replies appreicate it, guess Im gonna head up to TC and see what they can do for me. I will definatley be keeping a backup log somewhere. And for the record the reason my log book was in my flight bag was the I had just returned from the airport doing an IFR renewal and went out for a few pops after and while at the bar my car was broken into. Oh well shit happens I guess, lesson learned.
Cheers

Snagmaster E
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Snagmaster E »

sounds good xray

The only left for me to say is....

I'm sure you've heard about people who, after hitting a certain ## of hours (like 10 grand or something) people just stop logging it. Why bother right? Well I know a guy who has around 30,000 hours of flying up north. He did the same thing and then one day (not sure why anymore) transport wanted to see his log book. They made him reconstruct over 5000 hours. Now I don't know about you, but when I took my first log book a while ago and transcribed my first 250 into a new book (because of the massive mess) it took me a while and wasn't a whole lot of fun.

Word.

Money, wish I had it...
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

RSC :

Good one, I have no idea why I said Geo W. you are of course correct it is Ben Franklin who is on the hundred dollar bill.

Snagmaster.........

Someone is pulling your leg on that story, there is no way on earth that TC can demand you show a personal log of all your flying time...maybe you could do a quick check in CAR's and find out exactly what you must log.

Once you are no longer applying for a higher license or an endorsement you only have to keep a personal log to prove recency and that is only five take offs and landings in a specified time frame...

Cat

Snagmaster E
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Snagmaster E »

Cat:

Yeah, you're probably right. Lord knows, I don't take everything for face value in this industry.

Couple of the good ones I've heard:

"I'm getting so many hours, I'm turning down time"

"Well, keep in touch - I may have something for you in the spring" (from a friend)

"A aviation diploma from our school will get you a job, just like that!" (fell for that one)

"There's going to be a pilot shortage soon."

"Of course I know the answer, but you look it up and get back to me."

"Of course I checked the fuel before takeoff"

and the one that everybody's heard:

"I'm from TC and I'm here to help you (and I know what I'm talking about)"

Money, wish I had it...
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

:smt003 :mrgreen:

Cat

phatboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by phatboy »

I agree with Swamp on this one....leave your logbook at home...no need to carry it with you.....write in it once a week untill you get your ATPL...then write in in whenever you want.....try and keep it up to date within 6 months or so.....it can be hard to get caught up...

Return to “General Comments”