Edmonton City Centre Airport (CYXD) Update

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Edmonton City Centre Airport (CYXD) Update

Post by 5x5 »

A quick background update - CYXD is at risk of eventually being shutdown following a City Council decision earlier this summer. The decision was supported by the ERAA (Edmonton Regional Airport Authority) who have quickly responded to the Council action and issued a timeline that had the closing of rwy 16/34 slated for April 2010 (this was amended to be August following the Indy car race).

The whole situation makes my blood boil, but I'm going to bite my tongue and keep this informational.

Two days ago, one of the operators on the field filed a lawsuit for an injunction based primarily on the question - "Shouldn't an Airport Authority actually support the airports it has responsibility for?" Here is a link to the suit itself, it's not that long a read, so enjoy.

http://www.albertaenterprisegroup.com/U ... _Claim.pdf
---------- ADS -----------

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport (CYXD) Update

Post by AEROBAT »

That's what happens when you have a real estate speculator for a mayor and a brain dead city council.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Good for Airco! Hope they win, especially since all they're seeking is costs and a permanent injunction to put a halt to this nonsense for forty-five more years.

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

shitdisturber wrote:Good for Airco! Hope they win, especially since all they're seeking is costs and a permanent injunction to put a halt to this nonsense for forty-five more years.

+1

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

Well, the majority of the Edmonton population supports the closure.

It will be a tough fight.

northern33
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by northern33 »

Flew into Edmonton City Centre Airport for the first time this past weekend. What a loss it would be to lose this Airport!

W0X0F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by W0X0F »

Firstly, a tip of the hat to Airco for going to bat for the City Centre Airport. You have my sincere thanks.

Has the ERAA filed an Statement of Defense and if so might it be posted please.

alti2d
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by alti2d »

I saw a poll (albeit an informal one by CBC at that) saying that most Edmontonians oppose the closure....

But I suppose it depends who's paying for the research.

Shark
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shark »

Good on you Airco! ERAA has had it in for XD from day one. Face it, Calgary is the main Hub of Alberta.

PS. Mandel owns land on along 34 approach :x

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

MrWings wrote:Well, the majority of the Edmonton population supports the closure.

It will be a tough fight.
Christ. I was living in YEG back in 1994 when the first wave of idiocy went around. Nothing more than fear mongering, misinformation, and outright lies about city center airport. Of course the public voted against it after being convinced an airplane could crash through their front window at any second!!! :roll: It's been wave after wave of propaganda for years, is it any wonder the public is misinformed? Edmonton, this is what you deserve, more and more big businesses moving to YYC, a more business-friendly city. Edmonton once had an economic advantage BECAUSE of city center, and they pissed it all away, thanks to a string of idiot mayors and city councils.

Drinking outside the box.
looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

We all need to take action and write the local MLA and MP. Pitch the medevac angle. They don't care about GA or business travelers.

W0X0F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by W0X0F »

BUMP

Still looking for ERAA's response. Anyone..

Thanks

C-MNOP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by C-MNOP »

I have always been curious as to why nobody has gone to the federal government to have this site designated a historical monument?? Correct me if i am wrong but wasnt it the first certified airfield in Canada? If it was designated a historical site, like a building, would it not have to be preserved? Has anyone tried this route yet?

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

W0X0F wrote:Still looking for ERAA's response. Anyone..
Not able to provide detail, but apparently their response was less than sterling. Again, not sure what that means exactly, but time will tell.
C-MNOP wrote:I have always been curious as to why nobody has gone to the federal government to have this site designated a historical monument??
Well, that process isn't a slam dunk in the first place. And secondly, it would make it very difficult to stimulate any future development as the historical site status would pose a significant roadblock to any changes.

Good news though is that the Aviation Edmonton Association website is now up. Take a look and consider joining up to show your support. Also, the "Links" page takes you to the various levels of government so you can write MLAs, MPs or city councillors to voice your support.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

C-MNOP wrote:I have always been curious as to why nobody has gone to the federal government to have this site designated a historical monument?? Correct me if i am wrong but wasnt it the first certified airfield in Canada? If it was designated a historical site, like a building, would it not have to be preserved? Has anyone tried this route yet?
You are correct about City Center being the oldest certified airport in Canada. Cooking Lake [ EZ3 ] is even older but was certified later. Aparently Cooking Lake is the oldest airport still in continuous operation in Canada. Once they find that out no doubt they will try to close it as well.

silentivan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by silentivan »

AEROBAT wrote:
C-MNOP wrote:I have always been curious as to why nobody has gone to the federal government to have this site designated a historical monument?? Correct me if i am wrong but wasnt it the first certified airfield in Canada? If it was designated a historical site, like a building, would it not have to be preserved? Has anyone tried this route yet?
You are correct about City Center being the oldest certified airport in Canada. Cooking Lake [ EZ3 ] is even older but was certified later. Aparently Cooking Lake is the oldest airport still in continuous operation in Canada. Once they find that out no doubt they will try to close it as well.
As sad as it is to say, I wouldn't be surprised if you are right. They'd close it down to build yet *another* shopping mall. Because that's just what Alberta needs. Another ginormous mall, selling more crap we don't need.

robshelle
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by robshelle »

ACtually, they are looking at shutting it down. In the latest COPA newspaper, there is a good article about the YXD debacle, and near the end it mentions that teh ERAA wants to get rid of CEZ3. First they offered it to the County of Strathcona, but they don't want the expense of running an airport, and now they are throwing it into the laps of the users. I suspect that if the users of Cooking Lake can't operate it, it too may shut down!!!

Rob Benusic
CYEG Tower

Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

From a guy who spent years flying to CYXD.
Travel to YXD advertisement EXECUTIVE EXPRESS 5 small.jpg
Travel to YXD advertisement EXECUTIVE EXPRESS 5 small.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 2374 times

Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

Well, I thought that some you might have had a comment or two about the if you can't beat them join them approach of ground transport to Edmonton.

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

If you want a good laugh drop by this site http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/fo ... y.php?f=13

its a forum for citizens of Edmonton to talk all things Edmonton, mostly you will find diluted NIMBY type people on their thinking JetBlue should serve YEG as that airlines first Canadian destination. They blame YXD for their lack of skyscrapers and ponder why corporations choose Calgary over Edmonton for their head offices. I don't have the heart to tell them Edmonton is essentially Thompson with a big mall.

Return to “General Comments”