Conestoga College

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Stan_Cooper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Conestoga College

Post by Stan_Cooper »

Anybody here studying in the Conestoga College Aviation program?
---------- ADS -----------

Domination: Coming soon to a city near you.
meow
Rank 2
Rank 2

about Conestoga college

Post by meow »

Conestoga College is a nice college located outside kitchener. It's a very nice and clean campus (Doon).... I know they added extra courses for this program. When I was there (3 years ago) courses were a joke. I was working full time and still passed the courses. But be honest with yourself you need to be prepared financially. It will cost you $40,000 to finish the program.

Conestoga student residence is also very clean but expensive. My advise is to rent a basement apartment around college. If you have a car you can rent a room cheaper around Stanley Park (River and Ottawa). Avoid downtown Kitchener. You can get a list of available rooms from school.
Flight training is done at Waterloo Wellington Flight Center. They have nice airplanes and friendly instructors. (I'm still trying to finish my Multi - IFR) you could also apply for OSAP directly from Flight Centre for the flight part of the program.
For me it was an overall good experience. Good luck. :P

let's go somewhere far.....
duplicate2
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: about Conestoga college

Post by duplicate2 »

meow wrote:Flight training is done at Waterloo Wellington Flight Center. They have nice airplanes and friendly instructors.
Holy sh*t, someone said something good about WWFC! I think this says a lot about the way students are treated by instructors, despite the way instructors are apparently treated by management.

meow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by meow »

Holy sh*t, someone said something good about WWFC! I think this says a lot about the way students are treated by instructors, despite the way instructors are apparently treated by management.[/quote]

i agree... Instructors are very nice. Management (donno ).. I liked our last CFI better... We miss him.

Dyck Hertz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dyck Hertz »

Hey meow! What do you mean the other CFI was better? I heard he was paying the flight instructors way too much and that there was equal pay for equal work. Like....come on, what good is that? Gimme a break! :orcass:

flynbutcher
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by flynbutcher »

Sorry but couldn't resist. Dyck Hertz........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I took this program a few years back and enjoyed it. The bonus is that at least when I was there it was only a 2 year program, so I got all my courses and licences done in 2 years, while you take 3-4 years doing Sault, Seneca, or UWO. I had my ppl before I started. but did the rest there. The equipment was good, a little old, no fancy glass cockpits or anything. Like it was mentioned above, the Conestoga campus is nice and clean.

meow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by meow »

Dyck Hertz wrote: What do you mean the other CFI was better?
First I suggest Some Advil ... It might ease the pain.
Last CFI had better way of dealing with problems and obviously everyone else was happy... All school use to smile.... AHHHH we miss him.
I hope he knows that.

Dyck Hertz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dyck Hertz »

meow wrote:First I suggest Some Advil ... It might ease the pain.
Last CFI had better way of dealing with problems and obviously everyone else was happy... All school use to smile.... AHHHH we miss him.
I hope he knows that.
advil? i dont think so WHen i want releif from the pain I look to one man who gives comfortr and hope to millions of poeple the world over. When I get acquanted with him it gives me hope and solace. This man makes me forget al my problems and makes me beleive theres a better future .... his name is Captain Morgan :partyman: but then sometimes I can get a little.... :vom:

Shtinky
Rank 2
Rank 2

meow you're correct

Post by Shtinky »

I would have to agree with you meow. The atmosphere was more relaxed and all the contentious issues were non-existant. It's unfortunate that the idea of 'saving the company' is used as a pretext in order to go after the ones who really are in a precarious economic situation...the instructors.

Dyck Hertz I realize that the situation is not the best right now but I seriously doubt that drowning your sorrows with alcohol would work. Perhaps you're joking(I hope) Hang in there. Things will definitely improve with time.

sdraw
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdraw »

Nope..but I've applied for this fall. :)
Were you interested or..?

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

meow wrote:Avoid downtown Kitchener.
Avoid Kitchener period, it sucks. Live in Cambridge and take the bus.

meow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by meow »

cire wrote: Were you interested or..?
HUH????

sdraw
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdraw »

meow wrote:
cire wrote: Were you interested or..?
HUH????
Wondered why he was asking.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Dyck Hertz wrote:advil? i dont think so WHen i want releif from the pain I look to one man who gives comfortr and hope to millions of poeple the world over. When I get acquanted with him it gives me hope and solace. This man makes me forget al my problems and makes me beleive theres a better future .... his name is Captain Morgan :partyman: but then sometimes I can get a little.... :vom:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marvelous!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

brokenwing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brokenwing »

conestoga is an ok program. but you really should go talk to the Chief Pilot of the company that you want to work for and ask them what the best way to go is. because afterall , you are trying to present yourself to that company. and if you are trying to be a a bush pilot . then why do the college thing with a multi ifr. if your going floats, go with confederation or sudbury aviation. also, if you expect to work for Mr.Milton right away and put that multi IFR to good use. you should walk up to your dad and punch him in the face and ask him why you werent blown in the sheets.

"I had a pilot's breakfast ... A coffee and a piss followed by a donut and a dump." -D. Elegant
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

"blown in the sheets"

You hear something new everyday :lol:

costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by costermonger »

I'm studying in this program. I'll be graduating this summer.

This program was basically overhauled this past year. It's much, much, much better now that it's more along the lines of the "Integrated" programs. My class was the last year of the old style program, and I'd have to say, the Conestoga part of that program was a joke. It now feels as though Conestoga and WWFC are actually working together on the program, rather than two seperate bodies.

WWFC is a great place to learn. Decent prices, great instructors. Some new equipment, mostly older but very well maintained. Their 172RGs make for some very enjoyable cross countries.

Conestoga Residence is a pretty nice place to live, but if you'd rather rent, there's lots of decently priced rooms around the city.

Unfortunatly as of yet you can't get public transportation to the airport.

Negative stuff has certainly been said about WWFC, but if you're a student there, you will have an excellent instructor and all the facilities and aircraft you need to complete your training.

Stan_Cooper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan_Cooper »

Thanks for your replies, everyone...

I guess I should have specified that I'm just asking out of curiosity, I'm not planning on attending college [again.] I just hadn't heard anything good or bad re: the Conestoga program and I was thinking of recommending it to a friend of mine who was not successful in another program because she hated living so far from Southern Ontario.

Cheers;

Domination: Coming soon to a city near you.
bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

Also finishing up the program this year. There were alot of irrelevant courses being taught and alot of confusion of who to complain to. The flight training here though is excellent. Excellent facilities, low rates. I was at first skeptical myself when I came but now I am a believer :lol:

Return to “Flight Training”