College of Pilots?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

College of Pilots?

Post by ZBBYLW »

What is the progress on the College of Pilots? The website has nothing new except a new logo (Other then what we the public can not see).

http://collegeofpilots.com/
---------- ADS -----------

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: College of Pilots?

Post by Tango01 »

You should have saved that for April Fools!

Timing is everything.
ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

You don't need to go to college to be a pilot :mrgreen:

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, it takes time to get all the ducks in a row. The CPPC was incorporated on June 30, 2009. This represents the required Industry Canada approval such that they can make use of the Transport CanadaSafety Partnership Programs. The last meeting of the Board of Directors was in November, and I believe the next will be in the early new year. They continue to meet with individuals and industry groups that will have a stake in the creation of the College, in order to perfect the Code of Ethics and other documentation required before they finally "go public".

People interested in being involved from the ground up are still encouraged to make contact with the group, which I can facilitate if you do not have other means through your affiliation with a union or association which is already involved. With that, I must give warning - not all employers are, or will be, happy about this.

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Canadian College of Pilots, time line:

2012......the end of the world.

2013.......they tell us who killed Kennedy.

2525......Hell freezes over.

3512....The formation of the Canadian College of Pilots. In all 17 official languages...

:smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040 :smt040

Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Hot Fuel »

Widow said
With that, I must give warning - not all employers are, or will be, happy about this.
Conversely you will find not all employees will be happy, everybody’s agendas are different. As always, the few will lead the masses and decide whats best for them...and then the real whining starts.

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

Hmmm, an informal poll here on AvCanada showed overwhelming support for this. Seems like people really do just like to bitch about something-anything.

Wahunga!
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Hot Fuel wrote:Widow said
With that, I must give warning - not all employers are, or will be, happy about this.
Conversely you will find not all employees will be happy, everybody’s agendas are different. As always, the few will lead the masses and decide whats best for them...and then the real whining starts.
Hot Fuel, I fear a "Contrail" like situation, as you do, a few governing the many. The small companies being left out in the cold. Certain companies boycotting member pilots. Usually, pilots can't agree on how they want their eggs cooked......

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Any organization striving for the improving og working conditions has my blessing and support. If anyone thinks the status quo is good enough needs their heads examined or is just a sucker for pain.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

I too fear a "Contrail" type situation where there will be a few limited jobs for the low timer. What we have now isn't perfect but more regulation is not the answer. The College of Physicians and that sort sort of thing all regulate professionals. For pilots to obtain that status will require us to adhere to a much higher entry level education level. Is that what the majority wants. I often get the feeling it is actually the opposite.
Just my 2 cents.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

ajet32 wrote:I too fear a "Contrail" type situation where there will be a few limited jobs for the low timer. What we have now isn't perfect but more regulation is not the answer. The College of Physicians and that sort sort of thing all regulate professionals. For pilots to obtain that status will require us to adhere to a much higher entry level education level. Is that what the majority wants. I often get the feeling it is actually the opposite.
Just my 2 cents.
A higher standard is EXACTLY what I want and I feel this industry needs! I did not go the old flight school route and just get my bare minimums to get my CPL I went further then this to better myself and my resume. If we make this profession more challenging to get into it would limit the amount of new CPL pilots in the market -which is "A GOOD THING".

It's simple supply and demand.

More demand (more jobs) or less supply of pilots and we can see positive changes in the industry. These would include working conditions, lifestyle, pay etc... As companies would be looking for pilots, and trying to retain them (what a concept!). The companies that treat their employees like crap would have a hard time retaining them as those pilots would rather go to company B that pays their people better.

Less demand (this economic down turn comes to mind) or too much supply of whor...err pilots then pilots try and back stab each other for that "golden multi-PIC, multi-turbine, PIC" job and will take what ever it takes to take that job (pay, working conditions, etc...) just to build time, because let's face it no one wants to wait on the ramp for 2-3 years or work as an instructor (except those that want to stay as instructors) for a long period of time when they can get paid dirt right now, get forced to cut back on fuel or go when the weather is not right and when other pilots say no to the flight BUT get to fly that clapped out old Navajo or Islander and put that time in the log book.

Basically what we need to do is protect pilots from ourselfs. I think this College with a strict code of ethics is a good start.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

ZBBYLW wrote:
ajet32 wrote:I too fear a "Contrail" type situation where there will be a few limited jobs for the low timer. What we have now isn't perfect but more regulation is not the answer. The College of Physicians and that sort sort of thing all regulate professionals. For pilots to obtain that status will require us to adhere to a much higher entry level education level. Is that what the majority wants. I often get the feeling it is actually the opposite.
Just my 2 cents.
A higher standard is EXACTLY what I want and I feel this industry needs! I did not go the old flight school route and just get my bare minimums to get my CPL I went further then this to better myself and my resume. If we make this profession more challenging to get into it would limit the amount of new CPL pilots in the market -which is "A GOOD THING".
So, that would make you a better pilot, or person, than the folks who went "the old flight school route"? That pretty much sums up what you've just said. Would I read that as you took more than the "bare" minimum time to complete your training? I'm confused. I'm not too bright you see. I went the "old flying school" route.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

What most of us need to realize is that this will likely never change. In fact, I have a feeling it will get worse. When flight schools are flat out lying to people, saying that there is a shortage of pilots or some crap like that just to make a buck, you know that we are not a "socially responsible" society. I guess capitalism works every angle. We are pumping out lots of pilots into an crippling industry that is suffering from a surplus of workers. The supply and demand rule holds true here. On top of that, we have pilots working for free, undercutting each other, paying for type ratings and who knows what else. Operators are loving it. We are in fact, our worst enemies.

Timing is everything.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Education is obviously a desirable goal for everyone, however there are many ways to educate ones self.

I fail to see why learning to fly using the " old flight school route " is not a very viable route to take, I went that route with very little formal education and did O.K. as a pilot.

Conversely I have had F.O.'s who went the college route who I wouldn't let operate my lawnmower.

If the college route is so good how did those duds get through?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Cat Driver wrote:Education is obviously a desirable goal for everyone, however there are many ways to educate ones self.

I fail to see why learning to fly using the " old flight school route " is not a very viable route to take, I went that route with very little formal education and did O.K. as a pilot.

Conversely I have had F.O.'s who went the college route who I wouldn't let operate my lawnmower.

If the college route is so good how did those duds get through?

Its not and you are absolutely right on that. If you want an education, get one outside of aviation, maybe engineering or a trade, that way you have something solid to fall back on, in case you lose your medical or want an out.

Timing is everything.
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

I am not involved with the College, other than as an advocate of the initiative. While I'm kept somewhat in the loop, I do not know what decisions they are making ...

That said, there is definitely one thing that is lacking in most CPL training right now, and which I believe would influence future decisions no matter what route the new CPL takes to build hours ... Pilots Stay Safe: Know Your Rights. I sincerely hope that an initiative of the College will be to ensure all new CPLs are well versed in the information found in that thread.

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

Doc wrote:
ZBBYLW wrote:
Just my 2 cents.
So, that would make you a better pilot, or person, than the folks who went "the old flight school route"? That pretty much sums up what you've just said. Would I read that as you took more than the "bare" minimum time to complete your training? I'm confused. I'm not too bright you see. I went the "old flying school" route.
The whole reason why I think we need to do more training, more exams etc... Is more to do with making it a more challenging route. We need to limit the people coming in. In my opinion the CPL exam is WAY to easy to pass and should be done in stages (so the examiner can test more of a candidates than just 1 flight test. Doctors do not get examed on whether they pass 1 written exam and treat one patient correctly. It takes alot more then that to become a doctor, and should take alot more then that to become a CPL.

By the time I had my CPL Group 1 IFR done I had about 300 hours. I did not finnish in that "bare" minimum times but why?

This was not because as you are hinting at I was a below average pilot. Infact I have done well on most of my flight tests to date (though I feel they were WAY to easy.) While I was going to school for Buisness Admin (not related to aviation I know but c'est la vie). I solo'ed in 6 (not common these days), I got over 90% on my PPL flt test, then I did about 30-40 hours flying a Citabria around doing aerobatics. Did alot of cross countries, some prep for my CPL and passing that again over 90% before the needed 200 hours for the license. Then I did more Citabria flying, some home built flying and come Ultra-Light Flying (Not counted in my totals) doing more aerobatics, flying to beaches, sand bars and back country strips. I was flying for the fun of it. During this I did all of my Multi-IFR (90% and above again). By the time I was done I had more time then needed for bare minimums sure but what I had I completed? First I had fun, I enjoy flying I got to enjoy picknics on sand bars or beaches, spending alot of some flights upside down, landing some places that where not meant for aeroplanes to go. I learned alot as well, I got to really see why a soft field take off is important (note: a grass runway doesnt count) I have done long flights to places where I have never been before (back then no GPS) and it was enjoyable. I did not just fly to get 200 hours so I can have my CPL. I have also flown quiet poor at times and failed a ride. I partialled my Multi-Ride (85%) because on my clean stall I did not let the nose drop, I recovered before that. It's something I have to live with.

jeta1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jeta1 »

:|

Last edited by jeta1 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

"College" is obviously scaring a whole lot of people on this site who are unaware of what it means:

" More broadly, it can be the name of any group of colleagues, for example, an electoral college, a College of Arms or the College of Cardinals. Originally, it meant a group of persons living together, under a common set of rules (con- = "together" + leg- = "law" or lego = "I choose"); indeed, some colleges call their members "fellows".

I doubt very much if a "College of Pilots" will be based upon formal education. The reason pilots wear uniforms is because most of them are unlikely to be able to dress themselves otherwise. "White on top, blue below, socks on the feet, nowhere else."

Stop panicking, think about the concept, not the terminology. :rolleyes:

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

As long as they keep their goals focused and simple it really does not matter what they call it.

The biggest fear I have is if there is not an open transparent method of selecting those in management of the group it can and probably will turn into another circle jerk for those who seek positions of power over performance.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “General Comments”